What is meant when $\sigma$ is said to be discriminatory?

In summary: But if ##\sigma ## is taken to be strictly 1 on S and 0 everywhere else, then my understanding of the definition is wrong.In summary, the definition states that if the integral is zero, then the measure μ must also be zero. However, the author does not seem to understand how this correlation works.
jamesb1
I am reviewing this http://deeplearning.cs.cmu.edu/pdfs/Cybenko.pdf on the approximating power of neural networks and I came across a definition that I could not quite understand. The definition reads:
0OFMv.png

where $I_n$ is the n-dimensional unit hypercube and $M(I_n)$ is the space of finite, signed, regular Borel measures on In.

The only thing that I could get from this definition which again does not seem plausible enough is: since whenever the integral is 0 it must imply that the measure μ is 0, then σ is non-zero. I am not sure if this right though.

I literally could not find any other literature or similar definitions on this and I've looked in a number of textbooks such as Kreyzig, Rudin and Stein & Shakarchi.

Any insight/help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
I understand that, what I mean is I don't understand how it correlates with this definition; where the Lebesgue integral being zero implies that the measure μ is also 0.

Well, if you tell us up front what you understand and the main definitions/results you are working with, we may be better able to help you.

jamesb1 said:
where $I_n$ is the n-dimensional unit hypercube and $M(I_n)$ is the space of finite, signed, regular Borel measures on I_n.

The only thing that I could get from this definition which again does not seem plausible enough is: since whenever the integral is 0 it must imply that the measure μ is 0, then σ is non-zero. I am not sure if this right though.

WWGD said:
Well, if you tell us up front what you understand and the main definitions/results you are working with, we may be better able to help you.

The other definitions in the paper I linked are not really necessary as this definition does not take any special insight from them. I gave the information needed specifically for I_n and M(I_n) because they're mentioned but other than that, it can pretty much be taken as a standalone definition in my opinion. I just cannot understand what the correlation is between the integral being zero and the measure being zero. What does that tell us about the function sigma and how is it the case? I said what I think but I do not think it is correct.

*** EDIT ***
What MAY be of use is the fact sigma in this definition is possibly being taken as sigmoidal ONLY, but then again if that is the case then my understanding does not make sense since a sigmoid function f(t) can tend to zero as t -> -∞

Last edited:
All I know is the definition I read, in which I understood that ##\sigma ## is intended to approximate a characteristic function of a set S, i.e., to be 1 on S and 0 otherwise.

Related to What is meant when $\sigma$ is said to be discriminatory?

1. What does $\sigma$ stand for in this context?

In statistics, $\sigma$ is the symbol for standard deviation. It is a measure of how spread out the data points are from the mean.

2. How is $\sigma$ used to determine discrimination?

When $\sigma$ is said to be discriminatory, it means that there is a significant difference or inequality in the standard deviations of two or more groups being compared. This can indicate discrimination in the data.

3. Can you give an example of discriminatory $\sigma$?

An example of discriminatory $\sigma$ would be if the standard deviation of salaries for male employees in a company is significantly higher than the standard deviation of salaries for female employees. This could indicate discrimination in pay between genders.

4. How is $\sigma$ calculated and interpreted?

To calculate $\sigma$, you first find the mean of the data set. Then, for each data point, you subtract the mean and square the result. These squared differences are then added together and divided by the total number of data points. Finally, the square root of this value is taken to get the standard deviation. A higher $\sigma$ indicates a wider spread of data points, while a lower $\sigma$ indicates a more concentrated distribution around the mean.

5. Is $\sigma$ the only measure of discrimination in data?

No, $\sigma$ is not the only measure of discrimination in data. Other statistical measures, such as mean, median, and mode, can also be used to identify discriminatory patterns in data. Additionally, qualitative analysis and considering the context of the data can also provide insights into discrimination.