What is the potential impact of ingesting cherry seeds containing amygdalin?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Steve Cox
  • Start date
In summary, a person ingested 5 ml of cherry seeds, which contain a potentially poisonous compound called amygdalin. However, the amount consumed is below the toxic level for an adult human. It is recommended to seek medical assistance in these situations.
Steve Cox
I have some bitter/sweet news. A friend of mine recently ingested about 5 ml of cherry seeds. He cracked the stone open and took out the seeds, chewing them before swallowing. I've heard that cherry seeds contain amygdalin, which, in case you don't know, is a cyanogenic compound. It metabolizes in the stomach to form Hydrogen Cyanide, which is poisonous because it leads to cellular hypoxia. My question is what do I have to thank for my friend's continued life?

More background: The cherries consumed were bitter cherries. The seeds were several months old so I was wondering if amygdalin potentially decomposes into a less toxic state. He has a normal diet and his medications are Adderall and Pentropezol.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Biology news on Phys.org
First off, we cannot provide any kind of medical assistance here.
Answer:
LD50 is an estimate of how much of a compound ingested per Kg of body weight results in the death of 50% of the test subjects (obviously rats):
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2932206

5ml (less than ~5mg) is below that value for an adult human. Any time someone ingests something like what you saw, call the Poison Control Center or go to www.poison.org, as a first step.

Likes Steve Cox and Pythagorean

Related to What is the potential impact of ingesting cherry seeds containing amygdalin?

1. What is amygdalin and how is it metabolized in the body?

Amygdalin is a naturally occurring compound found in some plants, and is often referred to as Vitamin B17. When consumed, amygdalin is broken down in the body by enzymes into glucose, benzaldehyde, and hydrogen cyanide. Glucose is used for energy, while benzaldehyde and hydrogen cyanide are further metabolized and eventually eliminated from the body.

2. What are the potential health benefits of amygdalin?

Some studies suggest that amygdalin may have anti-cancer properties, as it has been found to selectively target cancer cells and inhibit their growth. However, these findings are still controversial and further research is needed to fully understand the potential health benefits of amygdalin.

3. Are there any risks associated with consuming amygdalin?

Yes, there are potential risks associated with consuming amygdalin. The breakdown of amygdalin in the body can result in the production of hydrogen cyanide, which is a toxic compound. Consuming large amounts of amygdalin can lead to symptoms of cyanide poisoning, such as dizziness, headache, nausea, and even death.

4. Can amygdalin be used as a treatment for cancer?

There is currently no evidence to support the use of amygdalin as a treatment for cancer. In fact, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has warned against the use of amygdalin as a cancer treatment, as it has not been proven safe or effective.

5. How is amygdalin metabolized by different individuals?

The rate at which amygdalin is metabolized can vary among individuals. Factors such as age, genetics, and overall health can affect how quickly amygdalin is broken down in the body. Additionally, the amount of amygdalin consumed can also impact its metabolism. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before consuming amygdalin or any other supplement.