Wronskian and two solutions being independent

In summary, the Wronskian is a determinant used to determine the linear independence of two solutions to a differential equation. If the Wronskian is equal to zero, then the solutions are linearly dependent, but if it is not equal to zero, then the solutions are independent. The Wronskian is used to prove independence of solutions by evaluating the determinant and can be used for any type of differential equation. To calculate the Wronskian, the derivatives of the solutions are organized into a determinant and evaluated using standard methods. The significance of two solutions being independent is that they are unique and not expressible as a linear combination of each other, which is important in many applications of differential equations.
bubblewrap
In the uploaded file, question 11 says that in b) the solutions y1 and y2 are linearly independent but the Wronskian equals 0. I think it said that they are independent because it's not a fixed constant times the other solution (-1 for -1<=t<=0 and 1 for 0<=t<=1) but it clearly says in the textbook that the two solutions are linearly independent if and only if Wronskian equals 0.

Attachments

• 20160131_154328.jpg
    20160131_154328.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 563
Physics news on Phys.org
If two (differentiable) functions are linearly dependent on an interval, then their Wronskian vanishes.

The converse is not true. So: If two functions are linearly independent on an interval, then it does not necessarily follow that their Wronskian does not vanish. The phrase
bubblewrap said:
the two solutions are linearly independent if and only if Wronskian equals 0.
is wrong in any case, so I hope it is not really in your textbook like this.

It says so here

Attachments

• 20160131_172446.jpg
    20160131_172446.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 576
bubblewrap said:
It says so here
No, it's not what is written there. It says "unequal".

In any case, if the Wronskian does not vanish, then the functions are linearly independent on the interval in question. This is just the contrapositive of what I wrote here:
Krylov said:
If two (differentiable) functions are linearly dependent on an interval, then their Wronskian vanishes.
The converse is not true. Maybe you know more about the functions ##y_1## and ##y_2## that solve (3) in your book to be able to draw this conclusion, but in general it is false.

I made a mistake at the end of my first post I meant 'if and only if ... unequals 0"

This is the case where it says that they are linearly independent but the Wronskian is 0

Doesn't 'if and only if' mean necessary and sufficient condition? It means that if linearly independent then the Wronskian always does not equal zero, it never is another case and there are only two cases.

Last edited:
Also in the differential equation, do y, dy/dt, dy2/d2t and so on have to be continuous?

I believe the point of the exercise in post #1 is exactly to demonstrate that two differentiable functions (here: ##y_1## and ##y_2##) may be linearly independent on an interval (here: ##[-1,1]##) and yet their Wronskian may still vanish identically. This shows that the converse of
Krylov said:
is not true.

In part (d) of that exercise it is then asked to show that ##y_1## and ##y_2## cannot satisfy the premise of the corollary in post #3, although I have to guess here because I don't know what equation (3) in your book is. So there is no contradiction between the exercise and the corollary. The corollary is not about arbitrary differentiable functions, but about functions that satisfy additional properties.

If P and Q are two logical statements, then "P if and only if Q" means: "P implies Q" and "Q implies P". So: Either P and Q are both true, or they are both false.

Krylov said:
I believe the point of the exercise in post #1 is exactly to demonstrate that two differentiable functions (here: ##y_1## and ##y_2##) may be linearly independent on an interval (here: ##[-1,1]##) and yet their Wronskian may still vanish identically. This shows that the converse of

is not true.

In part (d) of that exercise it is then asked to show that ##y_1## and ##y_2## cannot satisfy the premise of the corollary in post #3, although I have to guess here because I don't know what equation (3) in your book is. So there is no contradiction between the exercise and the corollary. The corollary is not about arbitrary differentiable functions, but about functions that satisfy additional properties.

If P and Q are two logical statements, then "P if and only if Q" means: "P implies Q" and "Q implies P". So: Either P and Q are both true, or they are both false.
Does 'to vanish' mean being 0?
Like, does W vanishes mean W equals 0?

bubblewrap said:
Does 'to vanish' mean being 0?
Like, does W vanishes mean W equals 0?
Yes. In this context "##W## vanishes" means that ##W## is zero not just in a point but on the entire interval.

Related to Wronskian and two solutions being independent

1. What is the Wronskian and how is it related to two solutions being independent?

The Wronskian is a mathematical concept used to determine the linear independence of two solutions to a differential equation. It is a determinant composed of the derivatives of the solutions, and if the Wronskian is equal to zero, then the solutions are linearly dependent. However, if the Wronskian is not equal to zero, then the solutions are independent.

2. How is the Wronskian used to prove independence of solutions?

The Wronskian is used to prove independence of solutions by evaluating the determinant and showing that it is not equal to zero. If the Wronskian is not equal to zero, then the solutions are independent. This can be used to prove linear independence for a variety of differential equations.

3. Can the Wronskian be used to prove independence for any type of differential equation?

Yes, the Wronskian can be used to prove independence for any type of differential equation, as long as the solutions are differentiable. This includes both ordinary and partial differential equations.

4. Is there a specific method for calculating the Wronskian?

Yes, the Wronskian can be calculated by first finding the derivatives of the solutions and then organizing them into a determinant. The determinant can then be evaluated using standard methods of determinant calculation.

5. What is the significance of two solutions being independent?

Two solutions being independent is significant because it means that they are unique and cannot be expressed as a linear combination of each other. This is important in many applications of differential equations, such as in physics and engineering, where solutions need to be distinct and not dependent on each other.