Should I Leave My Computer On or Turn It Off at Night?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the conversation discusses whether it is better to leave a computer on or turn it off at night in order to prolong its lifespan. Some believe that leaving it on minimizes temperature fluctuations and reduces the chances of solder joint failure, while others argue that frequent on-off cycles can also cause damage. It is noted that laptops are designed for frequent on-off cycles and are less prone to overheating compared to desktop computers. Ultimately, the general consensus is that with recent, well-made computers, it is not a major concern whether the computer is left on or turned off at night.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
For a number of reasons I have always kept my computer [laptop] on, 24 7's. Now I can just as well turn it off at night. I have been told that the number one cause of hardware failures for electronics in general is solder joint failure. Temperature changes help to encourage problems if bad joints are present. Maybe over time and many cycles, temperature changes are highly significant for loose contacts? I assume that leaving the computer on would minimize temperature fluctuations. Next, I suspect that for computers the cooling fans would tend to fail relatively frequently - a function of the on time and a root cause for CPU and power supply failures?

So, to what extent is the foregoing reasoning true, and in order to achieve the greatest life expectancy should I leave my computer on or turn it off at night?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It probably really doesn't matter anymore. Computers are made well enough these days that it'll just be obsolete before it physically breaks down. Turn it off, or leave it on, it's up to you.

- Warren

Are you actually saying that I have a choice that is not superseded by the requirements of the hardware? I don't think this has ever happened! :biggrin:

I think it would be more likely fail due to a component overheating. Also maybe its not so much the fluctuation in temperature that does the damage just the heat drying the solder out making it brittle?

Last edited:
Solder joint failure is an issue only with utterly crap manufacturers.
Switch-on/off event is tough for harddisks and monitors due to sudden changes in currents and thermal change. Hard drives are specially prone to fail during the cooldown. Everything else doesn't really care. Laptops are definitely designed for frequent on-off cycles, and don't get very hot, so don't bother, although I'm not sure about LCD's lifetime. Fans usually don't fail suddenly, they become noisy before that.

I personally would be most worried about hard disks, as their failures are most troublesome. While at warranty, abuse PC the most (but staying reasonable!), helps to expose weakest parts. After few months go into gentle pet-handling mode.
Offing for the nighttime still seems safe and reasonable thing to do.

i know it is a bit of topic, but i work on machines that operate in
extreme conditions, wet and cold, they can work perfectly OK all
day, come morning they can be a ***** to get going due to corrosion
of contacts ,connections etc, but if they are left running they just
seem to go and go.

I agree that you don't have to worry about the solder joint issue. Theoretically it does wear down, but not to a significant point that your computer would break down, maybe like after 20 years. More important for laptops are heat issues. It's always best if you have your laptop on some kind of surface where air can flow all around the laptop. I've know a few laptops to burn up their RAM or reboot because the bottom was overheating. But overall if you buy a recent well made laptop you shouldn't have any problems.

Related to Should I Leave My Computer On or Turn It Off at Night?

1. What is the best way to protect my computer from viruses and malware?

The best way to protect your computer from viruses and malware is to install a reputable antivirus software and keep it updated regularly. You should also be cautious when opening emails or downloading files from unknown sources, as these can often contain harmful viruses. Additionally, it is important to regularly backup your important files in case of a virus attack.

2. Should I use a PC or a Mac for my computer?

This ultimately depends on your personal preference and needs. Both PC and Mac have their own strengths and weaknesses. PCs are generally more affordable and have a wider range of software options, while Macs are known for their sleek design and user-friendly interface. Consider your budget and the type of tasks you will be using your computer for when making this decision.

3. How much RAM do I need for my computer?

The amount of RAM you need for your computer depends on your specific needs. Generally, 8GB of RAM is sufficient for most users, but if you are a heavy multitasker or use resource-intensive programs, you may benefit from having more RAM. It is always a good idea to check the system requirements of the software you will be using to determine how much RAM is needed.

4. What is the best way to speed up my slow computer?

There are a few things you can do to try and speed up your slow computer. First, make sure you have enough free space on your hard drive. You can also try deleting unnecessary files or programs, running a disk cleanup or disk defragmenter, and updating your software and drivers. If these steps do not improve your computer's speed, it may be time to upgrade your hardware.

5. Is it necessary to shut down my computer every night?

While it is not necessary to shut down your computer every night, it is recommended to shut it down at least once a week. This allows your computer to install updates and perform maintenance tasks. However, if you will not be using your computer for an extended period of time, it is best to shut it down to conserve energy and prolong its lifespan.