Average acceleration 2D motion

In summary, the speed of the minute hand on a clock with a length of 25 cm can be calculated by finding the circumference and dividing it over 3600 seconds. The angle between the 12" and 2" points is 60 degrees or pi/3 radians, and the average acceleration is 0 assuming constant angular velocity. Radians can be used to measure angles in a more precise way than degrees.
StupidGenius

Homework Statement

Calculate the speed of the minute hand on the clock (I solved with the assumption of the minute hand being the radius) with the length of 25 cm.

How many degrees did the minute hand move through from 12" point to 2" point?

What is the average acceleration?

Homework Equations

a=change in V/change in time

The Attempt at a Solution

So i found the speed of the hand by finding circumference then divided over 3600 seconds.

Now I need to find the angle from 12" to 2". Is it right to assume that 2" is at 45 degrees, if 3" is 90 degrees?
Which method should I use the component or the trig method?
please help.

PS: is there a way to illustrate this and post it up?

Physics news on Phys.org
I calculated the average angular velocity to be 1.745x10^-3 rad/s

Average acceleration will be 0, assuming that the average angular velocity is constant.

Is this what you are after?

there are 12 points on a clock face, so (2pi/12)*2 will give you the angle in radians between 12 and 2.

Its 60deg :P or pi/4

Gorz said:
I calculated the average angular velocity to be 1.745x10^-3 rad/s

Average acceleration will be 0, assuming that the average angular velocity is constant.

Is this what you are after?

there are 12 points on a clock face, so (2pi/12)*2 will give you the angle in radians between 12 and 2.

Its 60deg :P or pi/4

60 deg is right, but would you mind explaining it to me in a simpley way? or maybe introduce radians because we just skimmed over that section.

StupidGenius said:
thanks but still not quite sure how you arrived at the answer

What would happen if you cut a cake into 12 pieces and remove 2 pieces from the cake? How many degrees would the 2 pieces of cake be worth.

360/12 = 30, 30*2=60

Or in Radians, Pi = 180, so 2pi/12 *2 = pi/3

Related to Average acceleration 2D motion

What is average acceleration in 2D motion?

Average acceleration in 2D motion is the measure of the rate of change of velocity in an object's motion in two dimensions. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the change in velocity.

How is average acceleration in 2D motion calculated?

To calculate average acceleration in 2D motion, you can use the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the average acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

What is the difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration in 2D motion?

Average acceleration is the overall change in velocity over a given time period, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration takes into account the entire motion, while instantaneous acceleration only considers a specific point in the motion.

Can the direction of average acceleration in 2D motion be different from the direction of motion?

Yes, the direction of average acceleration in 2D motion can be different from the direction of motion. This can happen if the object is changing direction or if there are multiple forces acting on the object in different directions.

How does average acceleration in 2D motion affect an object's motion?

The average acceleration in 2D motion affects an object's motion by changing its velocity. If the average acceleration is in the same direction as the object's motion, the object will speed up. If the average acceleration is in the opposite direction, the object will slow down. If the average acceleration is perpendicular to the object's motion, it will change the direction of its motion.