Do you think sport is to commercialized?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sport
In summary: Full-contact, team Crud is the most entertaining. Each team has anywhere from 2 to 64 players. It's best if there's only two teams, but it's not a strict requirement. Each player is assigned a nickname and has a number. The game starts with a predetermined number of balls assigned to each team. The balls are placed in a circle on the table, with the cue ball in the middle. The first team to pocket all of the balls in the circle (or the first team to get the cue ball to the other team's end of the table) wins the game. There are a few variations, but for the most part, it's pretty simple. As long as
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Do you think sport it to commercialized ? and the word, "sport", is now misused.

Physics news on Phys.org
IMO, Professional sports are way over-rated, and way over-commercialized with all the sports paraphernalia and brand name merchandise.

Rather than watch sports or be a spectator, I prefer to actually play a team sport such as football (soccer or Aussie), or individual activity such as Tae Kwon Do, canoeing (or kayaking, rowing), or running/hiking.

Remember the F1 debacle ? with a little sportsmanship the race could have
been held, even if it was for no points, just some thing to please all the
paying crowd.

Yeah, I love sports too. Spider solitaire, Scrabble, Battleship...

honestrosewater said:
Yeah, I love sports too. Spider solitaire, Scrabble, Battleship...

They are all house games Rose, and are not very physical, or do you play
them after you have exercised ?

Well, if ESPN can call poker a sport, I guess Scrabble and Battleship can count as sports too. Yes, I think the word "sport" is over-used and televised sports are especially over-rated!

wolram said:
They are all house games Rose, and are not very physical, or do you play
them after you have exercised ?
Well, when I used to play cards with 'the guys', we'd bet with push-ups, which we had to do if we lost. I still do that with solitaire. :-p

honestrosewater said:
Well, when I used to play cards with 'the guys', we'd bet with push-ups, which we had to do if we lost. I still do that with solitaire. :-p

Geezzz, you must have a real strong upper body :smile:

wolram said:
Geezzz, you must have a real strong upper body :smile:
Well, I certainly didn't do girly push-ups if that's what you were thinking. :-p Okay, I must confess - I didn't do many push-ups. I was just trying to get your goat, which is my favorite sport of all. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Well, if ESPN can call poker a sport, I guess Scrabble and Battleship can count as sports too. Yes, I think the word "sport" is over-used and televised sports are especially over-rated!
ESPN is over rated as a judge of sports. I've yet to see a televised Crud match and that has to be one of the most entertaining sports around.

*For the uninitiated, Crud is a sport that was designed by two 6-year-olds left unattended at a pool table. You play with two balls: a target (usually the 8-ball) and a cue ball. You roll the cue ball at the target ball with your hand. If you knock the target ball into one of the pockets, you win a point. If you don't your opponent must grab the cue ball and shoot at the now moving target ball before the target has stopped rolling. If the player misses the target ball with the cue ball, he/she gets more chances to shoot as long as the target is still rolling. If the target comes to rest before the player hits it, their opponent gets a point. If the cue ball knocks the target into a pocket, the shooter gets a point. The last player to hit the target ball before it falls into a pocket gets credit for knocking the target into the pocket (in other words, a very quick player can steal his opponents point with a quick shot before the target actually drops into the pocket). If either the cue ball or the target ball fly off the table, the opponent of the player that knocked the balls off the table gets a point.

Of course, 7-year-olds had to come along and complicate the game. The shooter can only shoot at the target when they're between the two pockets at the narrow ends of the table. The minimum portion of a shooter's body that has to be in the shooting area for a legal shot can vary. At a minimum, the cue ball has to start from the end of the table - most require at least a foot to be in the legal shooting area - some require the entire body to be within the shooting area. An opponent can block a shooter from reaching either the cue ball or from reaching the legal shooting area. The amount of contact allowed is highly variable. At a minimum, the defender can remain stationary, forcing the shooter to go around them - in all-out full-contact games, the defender can knock the shooter into the second row of tables (knocking them through a plate glass window or into the third row is a penalty for uneccesary roughness).

Full-contact, team Crud is the most entertaining. Each team has anywhere from 2 to 64 players. It's best if there's only two teams, but it's not a strict requirement. Each player is assigned a nickname and has to go in their assigned order or the opponents get a point. When a player's turn to shoot comes up, they must quickly set down their beer, try to retrieve the cue ball, and shoot before the target ball comes to rest. A shooter then becomes the defender for his team (this usually gives the defense a distinct advantage in full contact Crud, hence the use of nicknames - the defender, unable to remember his oppenents' nicknames, will be unsure from which direction the next shooter will enter the area from). In team Crud, instead of accumulating points, each individual player is usually penalized a point each time his opponent scores (elimination method of scoring). After being penalized 3 points, a player is out of the game. This allows a team falling behind to dump their weakest players and make a dramatic comeback. The last team still having a player or players remaining wins the match.

No helmets are allowed, but it is recommended that players wear old clothes (the corners of the tables tend to catch and rip clothing right off the players). The game definitely requires a referee - running into the referee results in a point for the other team (or a penalty point for the player running into the referee if using the elimination method of scoring).

Last edited:
BobG said:
When a player's turn to shoot comes up, they must quickly set down their beer, try to retrieve the cue ball, and shoot before the target ball comes to rest.

Invented by 6 and 7 year olds you say? I worry about them...

If I ever get my head round these rules, and find a bar that will allow it, I'm so having a go :biggrin:

Related to Do you think sport is to commercialized?

1. What do you mean by "sport is too commercialized"?

By "sport is too commercialized", I mean that the focus of sports has shifted from being purely for athletic competition and entertainment to primarily being driven by profit and money-making opportunities.

2. How has sport become more commercialized over the years?

Sport has become more commercialized through increased sponsorship deals, advertising, and media coverage. There is also a greater emphasis on ticket sales, merchandise, and broadcasting rights, all of which contribute to the financial success of sports.

3. What impact does commercialization have on the sports industry?

The impact of commercialization on the sports industry can be both positive and negative. On one hand, it can bring in more revenue and allow for the growth and development of sports. On the other hand, it can also lead to a focus on profit over the integrity of the game and exploitation of athletes.

4. How does commercialization affect the athletes themselves?

Commercialization can have a significant impact on athletes. It can bring in higher salaries and sponsorship opportunities for top athletes, but it can also put pressure on them to perform well and maintain a certain image in order to maintain their marketability. It can also lead to over-commercialization of their personal lives and privacy invasion.

5. Is there a way to balance commercialization and the purity of sports?

There is no easy answer to this question, as it ultimately depends on individual perspectives and values. However, some steps that can be taken to balance commercialization and the purity of sports include implementing regulations on advertising and sponsorship, promoting fair treatment and compensation for athletes, and prioritizing the integrity of the game over profits.