Estimating the expected yield of a chemical reaction

In summary, the pump creates a partial vacuum which is used to input air (gas) from the environment into a long tube. At a certain point within this tube, hydrogen and oxygen gases are also inputted into the tube. The tube outputs back into the environment. The Arrhenius equation should be helpful for this application so you should demonstrate the application of this equation to your problem. You ultimately need to consider the rate of the conversion and the time that the hydrogen and oxygen gases spend within the tube; the latter is an independent variable.
buffordboy23
Scenario: Suppose that a pump creates a partial vacuum, which is used to input air (gas) from the environment into a long tube. At a certain point within this tube, diatomic hydrogen and oxygen (gases) are also inputted into the tube. The tube outputs back into the environment. I have provided a diagram that illustrates this.

Goal: What is a good theoretical procedure for estimating what portion of the added inputs, hydrogen and oxygen, is transformed into water before being outputted to the environment?

Here are my thoughts on what factors to consider:
1. The dimensions of the tube; length, since that sets the time limit in which the gases must react, and diameter, since this determines what region of space the gases are permitted to move in.
2. The amounts of input substances; obvious.
3. Temperature; affects the kinetic energy of the molecules and the rate of reactions.
4. Pressure gradient; I expect that, in general, this would cause a unidirectional flow of the gas molecules and change in the kinetic energy of the molecules, maybe even affecting the rate of the reaction (?)

Any advice on the mathematical analysis or additional concepts to consider would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• scenario.bmp
    255.5 KB · Views: 433
Physics news on Phys.org
Can't see attachement yet, but from the description it sounds like a continuous flow reactor. I suppose any good chemical engineering book will have a section describing how to solve the problem. Not being engineer myself (heck, I am not even a chemist) I can't point you to any exact title.

buffordboy23 said:
Scenario: Suppose that a pump creates a partial vacuum, which is used to input air (gas) from the environment into a long tube. At a certain point within this tube, diatomic hydrogen and oxygen (gases) are also inputted into the tube. The tube outputs back into the environment. I have provided a diagram that illustrates this.

Goal: What is a good theoretical procedure for estimating what portion of the added inputs, hydrogen and oxygen, is transformed into water before being outputted to the environment?

Here are my thoughts on what factors to consider:
1. The dimensions of the tube; length, since that sets the time limit in which the gases must react, and diameter, since this determines what region of space the gases are permitted to move in.
2. The amounts of input substances; obvious.
3. Temperature; affects the kinetic energy of the molecules and the rate of reactions.
4. Pressure gradient; I expect that, in general, this would cause a unidirectional flow of the gas molecules and change in the kinetic energy of the molecules, maybe even affecting the rate of the reaction (?)

Any advice on the mathematical analysis or additional concepts to consider would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

The Arrhenius equation should be helpful for this application so you should demonstrate the application of this equation to your problem. You ultimately need to consider the rate of the conversion and the time that the hydrogen and oxygen gases spend within the tube; the latter is an independent variable.

Problem solved.

Related to Estimating the expected yield of a chemical reaction

1. How is the expected yield of a chemical reaction calculated?

The expected yield of a chemical reaction is calculated by dividing the actual yield by the theoretical yield and multiplying by 100. The theoretical yield is the maximum amount of product that can be formed based on the amount of reactants used, while the actual yield is the amount of product actually obtained.

2. What factors affect the expected yield of a chemical reaction?

The expected yield of a chemical reaction can be affected by various factors such as the purity of the reactants, temperature, pressure, concentration, and the presence of catalysts. Other external factors such as impurities in the equipment or human error can also impact the expected yield.

3. Why is it important to estimate the expected yield of a chemical reaction?

Estimating the expected yield of a chemical reaction is important for several reasons. It helps determine the efficiency of the reaction and the quality of the products. It also allows for the optimization of reaction conditions to increase the yield, which can save time and resources. Additionally, knowing the expected yield can help with the scaling up of production for industrial purposes.

4. Can the expected yield of a chemical reaction be higher than 100%?

No, the expected yield of a chemical reaction cannot be higher than 100%. This is because the theoretical yield is calculated based on the stoichiometry of the reaction, which assumes that all reactants will be converted to products. In reality, this is not always the case due to factors such as side reactions, incomplete reactions, and losses during the purification process.

5. How can the expected yield of a chemical reaction be improved?

The expected yield of a chemical reaction can be improved by optimizing reaction conditions such as temperature, pressure, and concentration. Using pure and high-quality reactants, as well as ensuring proper mixing and handling of the reaction, can also increase the yield. Additionally, the use of catalysts or changing the reaction pathway can also improve the expected yield.