Physics in the sport of Basketball

In summary, the first law of motion states that the basketball, once passed, will stay in motion in that direction unless an external force such as a player stops it from doing so by catching it.
shaolinfightr
New member, so first of all Hello all! Writing this paper on the topic of physics involved in the sport of basketball.

There are numerous factors involved and I thought it would be fun for everybody to contribute a few factors. Such as but of course not limited to projectile motion (make or miss?), gravity (dribbling, passing, shooting, footwork, fakes etc).

How does the first Newtons law effect passing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Concerning the first law...the basketball, once passed, will stay in motion in that direction unless an external force such as a player stops it from doing so by catching it.

Your paper should be easy to write...what grade level is this for?

Surely gravity has nothing to do with footwork and fakes..!

Your topic is very generic and broad.

daisy11 said:
Concerning the first law...the basketball, once passed, will stay in motion in that direction unless an external force such as a player stops it from doing so by catching it.

Your paper should be easy to write...what grade level is this for?

Thanks daisy, I'll be adding that. This is not for a grade level. I'm writing a paper for my own studies and for future reference.

Might be a bit random topic but I'm sure there are some basketball fans here and there on this site. Physics has a big impact on the sport of basketball and I'm thinking some people can give good examples of how physics plays a part in the sport of basketball.

So you got rebounding, dribbling, shooting, flopping and other aspects of the game.

How about dribbling?

When the ball is dribbled by a hand pushing down on the ball - it bounces back. Why does this occur?

I'd say it's partly due to elastic collision that occur between the basketball or more specifically, the air particles in the ball and ground. What is the definition of a perfect elastic collision? air pressure of the ball will greatly affect the elasticity of the ball and the conservation of energy. following?

Why does the basketball take a parabolic path towards the hoop during a free throw?

What about flopping?

You could explain the force and momentum applied to a pen as it signs a 85 million dollar contract

you could talk about when they shoot that the ball would follow a parabolic path , and you could talk about the range and trajectory equations ,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trajectory_of_a_projectile
and you could talk about when they jump , based on their hang time you could figure out how fast they are going when they land , this would be interesting especially when Michael Jordan can dunk from the foul line ,

cragar said:
this would be interesting especially when Michael Jordan can dunk from the foul line ,

The parabolic and trajectory equations could be most helpful. anything else?

Michael Jordan didn't jump from the FT line, it was actually a few inches inside. There have been players that have dunked from behind the FT line though.

Unbelievable. Trolling from the ESPN NBA boards brought to a new level. Nice job Robin.

Angular momentum, spin on the ball to make it bounce off the floor in a different direction than it was thrown, when passing to a teammate. Same for making it drop into the net off the backboard, both down and from an angle. Frequency, dribble rate.

If your interested in how physics is applied to physics, I would recommend the show Sports Science really help me understand the physics behind shooting and throwing a ball.

Related to Physics in the sport of Basketball

What is the role of physics in the sport of basketball?

Physics plays a crucial role in the sport of basketball. It helps explain the movements and interactions of the players and the ball, as well as the mechanics behind shooting, passing, and dribbling. Understanding concepts such as force, momentum, and friction can greatly improve a player's performance on the court.

How does gravity affect the flight of a basketball?

Gravity is a fundamental force that affects the trajectory of a basketball. When a player shoots the ball, the force of gravity pulls it towards the ground, causing it to follow a curved path. This is known as projectile motion. The angle and speed at which the ball is released, as well as air resistance, also play a role in its flight.

Why do basketball players use backspin when shooting?

When a player shoots a basketball with backspin, it creates a lift force that helps the ball maintain its trajectory and decreases the effects of air resistance. This is because backspin causes the air pressure to be lower on the top of the ball, creating an upward force. This allows for a more accurate and consistent shot.

How does energy transfer play a role in rebounding?

When a basketball bounces off the rim or backboard, energy is transferred between the ball and the surface. The amount of energy transferred depends on the elasticity of the ball and the surface, as well as the angle and speed of the ball. This is why some shots bounce off at an angle while others go straight back into the hands of the players.

What is the optimal angle for shooting a basketball?

The optimal angle for shooting a basketball is around 45 degrees. This angle allows for a good balance between the horizontal and vertical components of the ball's velocity, resulting in a higher chance of the shot going in. Shooting at a higher or lower angle requires more force and may result in a lower shooting percentage.