Where can I buy a bbo doubling crystal for my lab's femtosecond laser?

• Thread starter DR13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Crystal
In summary, a doubling crystal is a specialized type of crystal that can double the frequency of light waves passing through it through a process called second-harmonic generation. It works by utilizing the nonlinear properties of certain crystals and has various applications in laser technology, telecommunications, medical imaging, and scientific research. Choosing the right doubling crystal depends on factors such as desired output frequency and power output, and potential drawbacks include unwanted phase changes and sensitivity to temperature changes. Proper handling and thermal management are important for optimal performance and longevity of a doubling crystal.
DR13
My lab needs to purchase a new bbo doubling crystal for our femtosecond laser. I have been looking around but cannot find any. Our old one is from Thor Labs but they discontinued making them. Does anyone know a company that sells them?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You could try Newlight photonics or Altos photonics.

johng23 said:
You could try Newlight photonics or Altos photonics.

Thanks! That is exactly what I am looking for.

Related to Where can I buy a bbo doubling crystal for my lab's femtosecond laser?

1. What is a doubling crystal?

A doubling crystal, also known as a frequency doubler or second harmonic generator, is a specialized type of crystal used to double the frequency of light waves passing through it. This is achieved through a process called second-harmonic generation, where the crystal converts two photons of the original frequency into one photon of double the frequency.

2. How does a doubling crystal work?

A doubling crystal works by utilizing the nonlinear properties of certain crystals, such as lithium niobate or potassium dihydrogen phosphate (KDP). When a beam of light passes through the crystal, the electric field of the light wave interacts with the atoms in the crystal, causing them to vibrate and generate a new frequency that is twice the original. This process is highly efficient and can produce high-intensity beams of light with double the original frequency.

3. What are the applications of a doubling crystal?

Doubling crystals have a wide range of applications in various fields of science and technology. They are commonly used in laser technology, where they can double the frequency of laser beams to produce shorter and more powerful pulses. They are also used in telecommunications, medical imaging, and spectroscopy. Additionally, they are used in scientific research to study the properties of light and the behavior of atoms and molecules.

4. How do I choose the right doubling crystal for my needs?

Choosing the right doubling crystal depends on several factors, including the desired output frequency, the type of laser or light source being used, and the required power output. It is important to consult with a knowledgeable supplier or do thorough research to ensure that the chosen crystal is compatible with your specific application and meets your requirements.

5. What are the potential drawbacks of using a doubling crystal?

One potential drawback of using a doubling crystal is that it can introduce unwanted phase changes and distortions in the output beam, which can affect the quality of the final result. Additionally, doubling crystals are sensitive to temperature changes and can be damaged by intense light beams. Careful handling and proper thermal management are important to ensure the longevity and performance of a doubling crystal.