Electric Potential insulating rod

In summary, the first conversation discusses the use of formulas to determine the speed of a rod released in a uniform electric field. The second conversation involves solving for the speed of two insulating spheres released from rest and colliding with each other, using the concepts of electric force and acceleration.
dekoi
1.) An insulating rod having linear charge density 40 uC/m and linear mass desnity u = 0.1 kg/m is released from rest in a uniform electric field E = 100V/m directed perpendicular to the rod.

What is speed of the rod after traveling 2.00m?

In previous questions, i used the formulas V = -Ed, where E is the magnitude of the electric field and d is the distance from the point charge. V would give me the potential (or electric potential) of the field. However, here i have strange values like "linear charge density" and "unfiform electric field". How do i deal with these ??

2.) Two insulating spheres have radii 0.30 cm and 0.50 cm with masses 0.1kg and 0.7kg. The charges are evenly distributed with values -2.00 uC and 3.00 uC. They are released from rest when their centers are separated by 1.0m. a.) How fast are they moving when they collide?

I immediately thought that somehow i will have to use conservation of momentum. But setting up my equation:

[tex]m_1v_1 + m_2v_2 = m_t * v_t [/tex] (where mt and vt are combinded mass and velocity).

Where do i go from here?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
In #1, to get how fast a mass is traveling, one needs to know the acceleration, or force and mass.

Now think of F = qE and F = ma or a = F/m = qE/m or (q/m)E.

Electric field intensity has units V/m = (J/C)/m = (N-m/C)/m = N/c.

One has the charge/unit length and mass/unit length, so use the charge/unit mass.

In #2, the centers of the spheres are separated by 1 m, and the radii are 0.3cm and 0.5cm, so they will contact in 0.921 m.

The electric force between the two is initially F=kq1q2/d2 where d is the separation.

So the accelerate toward each other after starting simultaneously, and they must meet at the same time.

Each is subject to the same force which is increasing as they appoach, but the acceleration is different - a1=F/m1 and a2=F/m2, and they each start with zero velocity.

Thank you. I solved the first question and am planning to solve the other one later.

Related to Electric Potential insulating rod

1. What is an electric potential insulating rod?

An electric potential insulating rod is a type of rod made from a material that does not conduct electricity, such as plastic or rubber. It is used to protect individuals from coming into direct contact with an electrical source, as it prevents the flow of electricity through the rod.

2. How does an electric potential insulating rod work?

An electric potential insulating rod works by creating a barrier between the individual and the electrical source. Since the rod is made from a non-conductive material, it does not allow electricity to pass through it, therefore preventing any potential harm to the person holding it.

3. What are the uses of an electric potential insulating rod?

Electric potential insulating rods are commonly used in various fields, such as electrical engineering, physics, and construction. They are primarily used to protect individuals from electrical hazards, but they can also be used for experimentation and testing in labs, as well as for safely handling electrical equipment.

4. How do you choose the right electric potential insulating rod?

When choosing an electric potential insulating rod, it is essential to consider the voltage and current of the electrical source you will be working with. The rod should have a voltage and current rating that is higher than the electrical source to ensure maximum safety. It is also crucial to check the material and length of the rod, as well as any specific features that may be required for your specific use.

5. How do you maintain an electric potential insulating rod?

To maintain an electric potential insulating rod, it is crucial to regularly inspect it for any damage or wear and tear. If any defects are found, the rod should be replaced immediately. It is also essential to store the rod in a dry and safe place, away from any potential sources of damage. Additionally, the rod should be cleaned and disinfected regularly to ensure its effectiveness in preventing electrical hazards.