The Benefits and Stigma Surrounding Male Massage Clients

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
In summary, guys go to massage parlors for relaxation and to relieve muscle soreness. However, many women have a negative association with the place, and professional therapists advise keeping some clothes on.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I got a massage today…aaaaah, very nice. I went to a national chain, and since it was my first time there it was only $39 for an hour, a great deal! I’ve been getting massages for over 20 years. I try to do it a couple times a year.

But, it occurred to me: I’ve never, ever seen a male client in any massage place I’ve been!

So what is it, guys? Is it too intimate, being nekkid with some stranger touching you? Is it just the association with “massage parlors”?

I open this up to women who have an aversion to getting a professional massage, too. Why?

Oh and any professional therapist will tell you, it's OK to keep as much of your clothes on as you feel comfortable with, btw.

Physics news on Phys.org
lisab said:
But, it occurred to me: I’ve never, ever seen a male client in any massage place I’ve been!

The massage parlors we go to don't generally have female clients. They also tend to be seedy and offer additional "services." But take my word for it, men go to massage parlors.

There are personal "massage" services available where the woman will come to your hotel room, or where ever, and strip down to her panty hose and bra and sit on top of the man and "massage" him. Found this out from my ex from credit card charges I found when he traveled.

TMI?

I actually used to prefer having someone walk on my back.

Outdoor will be less *intimidating* than indoor.

So lisab, is it one of those full massage experiences with the music, candles, and mood lighting?

I actually did a spa day with my wife once. had the chemical peel and all that. The best part was actually the quiet experience and the hot pack on my face..

How is that for manly?

lisab said:
I got a massage today…aaaaah, very nice. I went to a national chain, and since it was my first time there it was only $39 for an hour, a great deal! I’ve been getting massages for over 20 years. I try to do it a couple times a year.

So what is it, guys? Is it too intimate, being nekkid with some stranger touching you? Is it just the association with “massage parlors”?

I open this up to women who have an aversion to getting a professional massage, too. Why?

Oh and any professional therapist will tell you, it's OK to keep as much of your clothes on as you feel comfortable with, btw.

Guy perspective:

Love getting professional massages! I have been going since high school, a little over a decade. A high school girlfriends mother was a message therapist, so she gave me a gift certificate for a holiday present. I didn't have it done by my girlfriends Mom, but it was really nice and relaxing.

I don't do it often- maybe every other year on average. But way worth it. It is very relaxing and really helps with all the muscle soreness from sports.

So, any guys who might never have considered it- go for it if you want.

EDIT:
The last time I went, my wife and I got a couples massage- you get a massage in the same room. It was nice and a little cheaper than just 2 massages- which was cool.

airborne18 said:
So lisab, is it one of those full massage experiences with the music, candles, and mood lighting?

I actually did a spa day with my wife once. had the chemical peel and all that. The best part was actually the quiet experience and the hot pack on my face..

How is that for manly?

That rocks :approve:! It was nice, wasn't it?

Well most of the places I've been to have candles, but the one today didn't. But yes, there was soothing music and dim lighting.

The last place I went was hilarious. The room was chock-full of dream catchers, fairies, crystals...you get the picture. The therapist tried to sell me some pads that you put in your shoes, and they extract "toxins". Riiiight.

lisab said:
That rocks :approve:! It was nice, wasn't it?

Well most of the places I've been to have candles, but the one today didn't. But yes, there was soothing music and dim lighting.

The last place I went was hilarious. The room was chock-full of dream catchers, fairies, crystals...you get the picture. The therapist tried to sell me some pads that you put in your shoes, and they extract "toxins". Riiiight.

It would have been perfect, but it scared me when they handed me the questionare you have to fill out. It started asking about allergies and medical conditions. It really got me thinking.

When I thought peel.. I was thinking like a mud pack or something, I didn't know it was literally chemicals. Geez.

But it was pretty cool. I would like to try the rocks.. not sure what they call it.

I actually live in a weird area, where they have a mix of the wierdos like the one you experienced.

My wife's birthday is sunday, and we take the kid back to college, so next week I might treat us to a massage.. ( note the us ).

I might go for a massage if they had cold massages, where they applied cold things. That would be pleasant. Anything warm makes me nauseous.

Evo said:
I might go for a massage if they had cold massages, where they applied cold things. That would be pleasant. Anything warm makes me nauseous.

You wouldn't have liked this place. I had to ask the therapist to turn down the heat in the bed...yes, it was a heated bed! It was OK when I crawled in, but it got too hot pretty quickly.

lisab said:

But I bet your chakras felt great afterwards.

lisab said:
You wouldn't have liked this place. I had to ask the therapist to turn down the heat in the bed...yes, it was a heated bed! It was OK when I crawled in, but it got too hot pretty quickly.
That's why I avoid those places, they always emphasize the heat involved. I can't do any spa things, they all involve heat. Surely there are others out there that can't tolerate warmth and would love a cool, refreshing spa treatment.

Evo said:
There are personal "massage" services available where the woman will come to your hotel room, or where ever, and strip down to her panty hose and bra and sit on top of the man and "massage" him. Found this out from my ex from credit card charges I found when he traveled.

TMI?

hmm..I wonder if they file quarterly and how much they are paying for health and dental plans. I also wonder if they can write off the pantyhose.

Math Is Hard said:
hmm..I wonder if they file quarterly and how much they are paying for health and dental plans. I also wonder if they can write off the pantyhose.
:rofl:

I don't because I may get a male massager. I don't want anything a man does to me to feel good.

Evo said:

TMI?

TMI? Not quite enough. You didn't happen to get any of those phone numbers, did you?

lisab said:
Just for the record. (I was at the Ex yesterday) :smile:

Attachments

• LJ20100906_massage.jpg
    LJ20100906_massage.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 407
I used to annoy my supervisors at work begging them to walk on my back, and they usually gave in. Why pay when you can play?

Speaking for myself(a male) my muscles have many tension issues which can be alleviated by a massage; my back and legs in particular.
I've been considering a male massage attendant because I think I might have a problem with a female. Arousal. Would be very embarrassing to me.
Asked someone I know about this, who's mother is a massage therapist, and she said it's "normal" and to not be concerned or embarrassed.
Well, she may be right, and her mother may well be on the "up and up" but my only concern is if she were to ask for "additional services" of which I have no desire for. I just want a good massage.
So, other than in a hospital from where I have had massages(and NO arousal) not sure how I would react in a private "clinic"
This personal confusion has lead me to avoid "private clinics"

pallidin said:
Speaking for myself(a male) my muscles have many tension issues which can be alleviated by a massage; my back and legs in particular.
I've been considering a male massage attendant because I think I might have a problem with a female. Arousal. Would be very embarrassing to me.
Asked someone I know about this, who's mother is a massage therapist, and she said it's "normal" and to not be concerned or embarrassed.
Well, she may be right, and her mother may well be on the "up and up" but my only concern is if she were to ask for "additional services" of which I have no desire for. I just want a good massage.
So, other than in a hospital from where I have had massages(and NO arousal) not sure how I would react in a private "clinic"

That's just what a male friend told me. He said worrying about it would significantly reduce the enjoyment, and it wouldn't be easy to relax. I totally understand that. Makes me so glad to be female!

pallidin said:
It's really not that way at all. But ymmv.

1. Why do guys seem less interested in getting massages compared to women?

There are a few potential reasons for this. One is that society often portrays massages as a more "feminine" activity, so men may feel self-conscious about enjoying them. Additionally, many men may not be aware of the numerous health benefits that massages can provide, or they may not prioritize self-care in the same way that women do.

2. Are there any physiological differences that make massages less appealing to men?

No, there are no physiological differences that make massages less appealing to men. In fact, men and women have the same muscles and tissues that can benefit from massage therapy.

3. Are there any types of massages that are specifically designed for men?

While there are no types of massages that are exclusively for men, some massage therapists may offer "sports massages" that are tailored towards men who are physically active or have specific muscle concerns. However, any type of massage can be beneficial for both men and women.

4. Do men experience the same benefits from massages as women do?

Yes, men can experience the same benefits from massages as women do. These include reduced stress and anxiety, improved circulation, decreased muscle tension, and relief from chronic pain. However, each individual's experience may vary.

5. How can we encourage more men to try massages?

One way to encourage more men to try massages is by educating them about the numerous health benefits, such as improved physical and mental well-being. Additionally, normalizing massages as a form of self-care for both men and women can help reduce the stigma surrounding it. Offering gender-neutral or male-focused marketing can also make men feel more comfortable and welcomed. Lastly, word of mouth from other men who have had positive experiences with massages can also help encourage others to try it.