Late Bloomers: Pursuing a Career in Physics After College

In summary, you would need to have a physics degree from an accredited institution, have a good academic record, and pass the Ph.D. test.
bikeaddict
im 41 w/BS and MS in Info Systems but I'm really interested in physics. Would I have to start over completely in an undergraduate program? Seems like there was a lot of fluff there that shouldn't have to be repeated (english, psych) Is it too late to start persuing a career in the field? Anyone other late bloomers out there want to share their experience?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, how much math and physics did you take as an undergrad? You'd probably just want to enroll in physics courses, without doing a formal degree. I suppose your goal is to get into a physics graduate program. I would assume if you take enough physics classes to prepare you, with excellent marks, you would get into a program somewhere. I don't think you need an extra couple of letters after your name, as long as you have the coursework each program requires for admission.

You are not too old unless you think you are.

right, a physics grad program, possibly a phd. i surely don't want to get a phd in Info systems. I've had enough of crunching numbers, building applications, etc. It's served me well in my career but if I learn more I want it to be in the area of math and physics.

I've met a lot of older guys in my engineering classes that work full time/part time/ or are retired from the military. Anything is possible.

Just remember this quote

Muhammad Ali said:
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill.

I entered a physics doctoral program at the ripe old age of 38. Succeeded in getting the doctorate in a very impractical field (theoretical cosmology). Did 10 years as postdoc around the world. Failed to find a job after a detour into bioinformatics. Finally went back to writing engineering software at the same company I'd left so many years before because they had stuff like health benefits. Be careful what you wish for. But I wouldn't trade the detour for anything. Don't plan on making it a career, you are judged harshly as you approach 50.

And no, you don't have to start over again as an undergraduate. If you've got the background from a previous academic career (I was a graduate math major with substantial bling in stuff like quantum mechanics and differential geometry) they will just take you straight into grad school (at least in the US, beware your mileage may differ) without the social studies type stuff. Just try it.

bikeaddict said:
im 41 w/BS and MS in Info Systems but I'm really interested in physics. Would I have to start over completely in an undergraduate program? Seems like there was a lot of fluff there that shouldn't have to be repeated (english, psych) Is it too late to start persuing a career in the field? Anyone other late bloomers out there want to share their experience?

I'm 45, with degrees in computer science/engineering. After a year of taking a few upper division courses through a local "open university" program, I'll be starting work on an M.S. in physics next fall. After that... well, we'll see! :smile:

I doubt if you'd have to start over completely and get a bachelor's degree in physics, but you'll probably have to take at least a few undergrad physics courses as well...

Maybe it's just this particular school, but there seemed to be a lot of students looking for a second chance. Admittedly, most of them were much younger than I am, but I think that going back to school later in life is becoming increasingly common.

bikeaddict said:
right, a physics grad program, possibly a phd. i surely don't want to get a phd in Info systems. I've had enough of crunching numbers, building applications, etc. It's served me well in my career but if I learn more I want it to be in the area of math and physics.

Since you did not indicate which part of the world you are at, or if you intend to do this in a US institution or not, I'll assume that it is in the US.

Remember that you are expected to pass several requirements to get a Ph.D in physics. So not only should you have had several undergraduate physics knowledge, you almost must STILL be able to recall them, even after years of not using them. Most of us have a problem in doing that.

I wrote a short "test" on what someone with another degree can do to see if they have the potential of surviving, not just being accepted, in a physics graduate program. You may want to check it out.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64966

Zz.

yeah what ZapperZ is true. I know a person with a PhD in physics, who hasnt used it for 30 years. So he has forgotten how to solve some basic physics problems.

Thanks for all the encouragement and advice. I don't feel like it would be a lost cause. I'm thinking of it more as enrichment than a career. Enrichment for me by expanding my mind, for my kids by exposing them to science and a lifetime of learning, for the world if I can find something to add to the body of knowlege.

cyrusabdollahi said:
I've met a lot of older guys in my engineering classes that work full time/part time/ or are retired from the military. Anything is possible.

Absolutely

Just remember this quote
That's one of the most beautiful (and correct) quotes i have ever read.
:approve:
marlon

bikeaddict said:
Thanks for all the encouragement and advice. I don't feel like it would be a lost cause. I'm thinking of it more as enrichment than a career. Enrichment for me by expanding my mind, for my kids by exposing them to science and a lifetime of learning, for the world if I can find something to add to the body of knowlege.

While idealism like that is nice, you should also not divorce yourself from the reality of it. Going to graduate school in physics can be unbelievably challenging and EXPENSIVE. Many of us have questioned ourselves in why we would want to do this when we're up at 2:00 am in the morning trying to struggle through one of Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics problem. And if you're paying your way through, it isn't cheap!

So unless you're willing to actually sit down and evaluate your chances of getting through, you could be in for a lot of wasted time, effort, and money with nothing to show at the end. I encourage a lot of people to study physics, but I also want them to face the hard reality that this isn't going to be a walk in the park.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
While idealism like that is nice, you should also not divorce yourself from the reality of it. Going to graduate school in physics can be unbelievably challenging and EXPENSIVE. Many of us have questioned ourselves in why we would want to do this when we're up at 2:00 am in the morning trying to struggle through one of Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics problem. And if you're paying your way through, it isn't cheap!

So unless you're willing to actually sit down and evaluate your chances of getting through, you could be in for a lot of wasted time, effort, and money with nothing to show at the end. I encourage a lot of people to study physics, but I also want them to face the hard reality that this isn't going to be a walk in the park.

Zz.
it isn't a walk at the park even in the ug years, so i can only imagine how it is in g. (-:

I only disagree with one small part of what ZapperZ said:

ZapperZ said:
So unless you're willing to actually sit down and evaluate your chances of getting through, you could be in for a lot of wasted time, effort, and money with nothing to show at the end.

I wouldn't really consider trying to learn something new a waste, even if you ultimately fail to get a degree or change careers.

I do agree that it is important to be realistic about what you can actually achieve, however.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go tilt at a few windmills...

Look at the Open University www.open.ac.uk - it is a genuine UK university which does all it's courses by distance learning (and is very well respected in the UK at least ) - you can also do pre-degree preparation courses and get credit for exisitng experience.
I don't know what their rules are for people outside the UK but they may be a good source of courses even if you can't enroll with them.

I knew a lady who recently died at 103. She was an unknown legal secretary at 65 when she retired.

The Governor of the State of Washington attended her memorial service and the State Senate and House wrote resolutions in her honor. A school is named after her and there is a yearly film festival named in her honor. Hmm, something happened between 65 and 103 wouldn't you say??

You are never too old until you are dead or too sick to work.

zapper is right on, but on the other hand, we are all too old, so what?

1. What is considered a "late bloomer" in the field of physics?

A "late bloomer" in physics refers to someone who pursues a career in the field after completing their undergraduate degree. This could be after taking a break from academia, switching careers, or simply deciding to pursue physics later in life.

2. Is it possible to have a successful career in physics if I didn't major in it during my undergraduate studies?

Yes, it is possible to have a successful career in physics even if you did not major in it during your undergraduate studies. Many late bloomers in physics come from diverse academic backgrounds, and their unique perspectives can bring valuable insights to the field.

3. What challenges can late bloomers face when pursuing a career in physics?

Late bloomers may face challenges such as a significant knowledge gap in physics concepts, a lack of research experience, and difficulties in finding funding for graduate studies. They may also encounter ageism and feel like they are behind their peers who started their careers in physics earlier.

4. How can I improve my chances of success as a late bloomer in physics?

To improve your chances of success, it is important to network with professionals in the field, participate in research opportunities, and continuously educate yourself on physics concepts. It is also crucial to stay determined and persistent, as the road to a career in physics may take longer for late bloomers.

5. Are there any famous physicists who were late bloomers?

Yes, there are many famous physicists who were considered late bloomers in their field. For example, Vera Rubin didn't start her PhD in astrophysics until she was 23, and she went on to make groundbreaking discoveries about dark matter. Another example is Jocelyn Bell Burnell, who discovered pulsars at the age of 23 after starting her PhD in physics at 22.