Becoming an Engineer: Considerations and Personal Experiences

• Other
  • Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary: However, if you are genuinely interested in engineering, you should become an engineer regardless of what branch you study.End question: Should I become an engineer?Answer: If you see beauty and elegance in physics and calculus, then maybe you are on the right track; but, if it bores you to learn about how things work, how they are built, and how to make them better, then you probably do not want to become an engineer.
i see, sorry.

Well to me it seems that a Physicist attempts to discover, or learn, things to do with the natural world.

An engineer uses this information gained by the scientists, and implements it into different products such as buildings materials and chemicals for every day use by society.

is that what you meant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Exactly. This is not exactly true. An engineer uses physics and math no different that a physicist does. The difference is in WHAT they study. Engineers don't just 'get' equations from scientists. They derive them themselves, and study the 'nature' of the world with those equations. They just study a different AREA of science.

Heat transfer, fluid flow, material science. These are all areas of physics done by engineers. They are just highly specialized physicists.

so you said "The difference is in WHAT they study."

What would you say the difference is?

And "They just study a different AREA of science."

what is the difference here?

sorry,

What makes their area of study different?

Probably a clearer question

Depends on your concentration:

Aerospace - controls, aerodynamics, structural analysis, vibrations.
Mechanical - controls, fluid flow, structural analysis, materials, vibrations.
Material Science - Materials, duh :)
Civil Engineering - materials, structures.
Electrical: - circuit analysis, controls, signal processing.

Anyways, the point is these are all areas of physics.

Last edited:
||spoon|| said:
I have just finished high school and exams and have gitten my results back, they are good enough that i can basically choose any engineering or science course that i want throughout the state ( i live in australia). I need to have my course preferences in by noon on chirstmas eve... and i still can't decide between chemical engineering or aerospace.

My first preference at the moment is the new science course at melbourne university in which i would do a bachelor of science (with engineering, maths, a science, and a breadth subject [outside of science]) and then follow up with a 2 years masters in an engineering discipline.

A good thing about this course is that it leaves open the option of doing a physics based engineering discipline (i.e not chemical) and at my final year just dropping engineering and continuing with straight physics if i wanted too.

My problem with this course is that:
1) I need to choose in my first year wether to do either chemistry (which leads to chemical engineering) or physics (which basically leads to all other disciplines)
2) the aerospace course that melbourne university offers really ISN'T an aerospace course... it is mechanical engineering with relevant subjects such as fluid mechanics etc.added on.

Because of reason 2) given above i feel that i need to decide between chemical and aerospace straight away... because if i ultimately choose aerospace perhaps i would be better off at RMIT or Monash.

||spoon||

Concerning this section from my original post.

Do you think it would be better for me to go to this flexible Melbourne university course? that way i don't have to choose discipline straight away (apart from chemical) and it also leaves the physics option open.

However, if i come to the conclusion that i want to do aerospace... i don't know if i would be better off somewhere else with an actual degree in aerospace, not a mechanical degree with some fluid mechanics. What do you think?

i am just really stuck with choosing my university course at the moment and a bit stressed because my choice has to be in very soon

Here is the thing, if you want to get a job in Aerospace, you are going to want to do engineering. Either Mechanical or Aerospace, both are similar to each other. Fluid mechanics is very similar to aerodynamics, just the problem changes. The maths the same. Exactly the same. (I've taken both.)

The question is, what do you want to do as your job? Me, I want to work and design aircraft. Choice is simple for me. What do you want to do?

honestly i don't know yet. I'm only 18 and a question of "what do you want to do?"... for the rest of your life! is a bit daunting to say the least. But what i DO know is that i want to use a lot of maths and science in whatever job i do get...

I mean i don't have any paricular interest in aircraft themselves, or in chemical plants themselves... I'm really only interested in the science and maths used to design them and make them work.

Because every branch of engineering has this aspect to it is the main reason i am having difficulty deciding.

I mean Melbourne univeristy is one of the best in australia... (i don't know where you're from) so id really like to go there... but i don't want to miss out on an actual Aerospace degree if that's what i ultimately want to do... and if i choose physics in first year what if i want to do chemical engineering later? this is my main problem i think

did you go to university in the first place knwoing you wanted to design aircraft??

You can use a lot of math and science in any area. Having interested in aircraft means the math and science used to design and make them. If you don't have any interest in them, its pretty clear you should not do it.

I wanted to be a pilot when I was 5. I don't waste time or money. I went to college for a reason and did it.

i've been looking and looking, and everywhere i see this topic i see the same general answers. But my question is what if you don't meet a few of these 'standards' to become an engineer major? For example i love to take things apart and see how they work, I've always been curious in that manner (especially electronics)...my only downfall is that I'm not really the greatest in math...(but oddly enough i love my AP Physics class, and maintain a B). I took geometry my junior year of high school, and now I'm taking trig in my senior year, and i was doing well with it until we got to equations that were all words...which is giving me that question as to if i should rethink my major or not...any suggestions??

Thanks

To be an engineer one must know math.

See how you do in calculus. Math gets a lot more interesting once you get into calc.

Is it possible to become an engineer if not so naturally good at maths through hard work ?

RufusDawes said:
Is it possible to become an engineer if not so naturally good at maths through hard work ?

By hard work, do you mean put in the extra effort to become proficient in using math as a tool to solve engineering problems? If so, the answer is yes. However, math is an integral part of any engineering discipline. So it would not be wise to study in a field that relies heavily on math if you feel that you cannot improve in this subject area.

I just asked for a transfer from physics to mech. engineering..
I still do like physics but I think my brain is not as strong as past years. I am afraid if I couldn't get at least 4.0 out of 5.0, I can't get to grad. school.
I am 28 btw, I hate the feeling if I can't get into research with my physics degree, what should I do??

Ranger -
Most engineering majors require several levels of calculus covering derivatives, integrals and matrices. In addition, certain majors require differential equations. Usually that is as far as you go. If one is set on the sciences, most of the core classes required for engineering will serve you in any of the fields. I don't think there would be a huge wast of time if you decided to switch after the first couple of semesters. The first year usually includes your basic physics, chemistry, maybe an introductory engineering class or two, and calculus.

I was actually horrible at math. Ok, not completely relevant, but I struggled with long division back in grammar school. Later, in college, it became easier once I got into the right thought mode. If you are understanding and passing trig, I think you have the analytical thinking necessary to move you to higher levels of math. As long as you are not taking two or three math classes at the same time (I did that, don't do it) it comes slow enough to absorb, so long as you have that analytical thinking capability. If you have to work harder than others, you can still manage so long as you attend EVERY class, take excellent notes, and go to the prof immediately if you get stuck. That should keep you up with everyone else. By the way, even though I struggled with math earlier, I finished with a masters in ME and, if I remember right, only one class shy of a BS in math. (I didn't have the desire to take the necessary abstract math class for the actual BS) It can be done.

Now whether or not you will enjoy all of this is an entirely different matter. You really have to like a challenge. At any rate, part of being an engineer is enjoying a challenge. We are, after all, problem solvers.

Karenlau-
If you are still undecided about the two majors, I would suggest that you speak with a counselor, advisor, someone in the department. Ask what the requirements are for entry into grad school and see if you are already on that path. If you are, perhaps that makes your decision much easier. If not, you must see if there is anything you can do to improve your chances.

To be honest, if you are aiming towards a research position, there are not so many jobs in engineering where you will have that chance. Engineering is applied physics and research is limited to testing methods to solve a particular problem rather than developing completely new concepts. There are a few situations where engineers do, but I think your average job doesn't provide that opportunity.

And wow, I don't think that you should be worried quite yet about your brain power at 28! It is more likely that if you are feeling a bit dull edged, it has to do with stress or particular issues going on in your life at this time. Trust me on this one. I think you will find that once you have resolved any issues, you will be back to your sharp thinking in no time.

Last edited:
well, some of the calculations in engineering get pretty lengthy, and accuracy is a must. There are plenty of smart people out there, but if they can't produce the right numbers, it will be very hard. I know this from my experience in chemical engineering courses. This is probably more important in engineering than in being a math major (theoretical), ironically enough.

I am also in 11th grade; I chose to take AP physics and AP biology should I have taken AP calc also instead of a regular calculus program offered at my high school next year?

How useful are career fairs? My school is having one right now and I feel like I should be at it, but I don't really have any nice clothing and on this forum I get the sense that very few people actually obtain jobs from going to them. I am a sophomore in EE but this semester is the first time I am taking any engineering courses, so I don't have much experience. Should I wait until I'm a junior? As of right now I don't have a job for the summer, and I really don't want to work in the factory that I worked in last summer, it was terrible.

Use career fairs to network. Most ppl will walk in ask for job openings and run off. Ask the career representatives for tips on applying, what its like working as a ... (this is where you fill in the blanks depending on which booth you're at) and really get to know what is involved in a certain career path. Once you start applying for jobs - you'll be shocked to see how many different career paths are open to you with engineering.

For example:

I'm interning at a power distributions company,
I have friends working in engineering software, such as Intelligent energy system design and texas instruments. I have friends working with telecomunications networks, another working with safetly systems with the railway systems, others working with biomedical implants for the ear, others working at medical imaging, some working as sales engineers, some working in microporcessor coding and testing, some working in power generation systems and a few working with teams that are involved with product testing and design.

And they're all 3rd year EE's.

(Sorry for my EE bias - its all I have experience with.)

I have been thinking of becoming a Biomedical Engineer, this is an option course taken from a Electrical, Mechanical, or Material engineering stand point. I really like this option because it offers me the opportunity to engineer for the most complicated system in the world, the human body. However, I would like to know if anyone has some experience with this, and I want to know how the different backgrounds would affect the course.

Shahil said:
Anyway, let's get onto something I definitely KNOW about - student life. Studying engineering is basically a self-imposed 4 (or more) year sentence to hard labour. You WILL have no time, you WILL have 30 odd page reports due every week, you WILL lose like a million hours of sleep, you WILL have an astronomical coffee bill, you WILL be stressed, you WILL at times have no clue what you're doing BUT if you are true engineering material, you WILL never look back and even half-consider changing your course.

Thank you for making me doubt myself again

hhhmmm I was supposed to be starting an engineering degree but I made the decision that I don't have enough money to go back to school just yet.

I think engineering is the most valuable education you can get and I think it is more of a certification than other degrees that are just an ability screen (like economics).

In one year I will be 25 and start the degree. I have decided on electrical/electronics stream.

If I am good enough to graduate what would an employer think of my story ? Will I be too old for Entry level positions or will I be at a significant disadvantage ?

If I were an employer I would want to know why this person spent three years studying economics, why they did not get a job as an economist, and why is he a 29 year old graduate. Why should I hire this person when I have a 22 year old infront of me who has wanted this since day one ? The 22 year old has a much more solid track record.

If the reasons were not very solid I would not hire me.

I'm also thinking about a major in biomedical engineering, but I'm still in high school so I have time. Any biomedical engineers here have advice? average salary? job outlook?

stakehoagy said:
I'm also thinking about a major in biomedical engineering, but I'm still in high school so I have time. Any biomedical engineers here have advice? average salary? job outlook?

I think biomedical engineering is mostly research. I think Boston has a large biomedical engineering industry.

stakehoagy said:

You can find a wealth of information in the Occupational Outlook Handbook from the Department of Labor.
http://www.bls.gov/search/ooh.asp?ct=OOH

Last edited by a moderator:
Choose engineering only if you like that title and like designing.
What engineering field? Electrical engineering if you are more the geek type, and civil or mechanical engineering you are more rought.
Is engineering difficult? Yes.Assumming you are the math science guy the only hardest is the the fact you must work with rogue people, that's if you are a project engineer.
You if think you can't work with hillbilly people but still like designing new thinks go for a double degree engineering and math(or philosophy if you are weak at maths).

sterproj said:
Choose engineering only if you like that title and like designing.
What engineering field? Electrical engineering if you are more the geek type, and civil or mechanical engineering you are more rought.
Is engineering difficult? Yes.Assumming you are the math science guy the only hardest is the the fact you must work with rogue people, that's if you are a project engineer.
You if think you can't work with hillbilly people but still like designing new thinks go for a double degree engineering and math(or philosophy if you are weak at maths).

Thats really bad advice to give someone who is inquiring about the engineering field!

From Computer engineering to ... engineering

I am a sophomore in Computer ENgineering switching to another engineering because i suck at programming but good with maths...
and i would like to ask just a question about what engineering fits me... i like mechanics a lot, i like maths, i like drawing but the drawing doesn't like me but ill practice, i am poor in programming, i am poor in electrostatics and circuitry ..
i think i am poor in machineries, but i think robotics are cool

so i think it is, is it
Mechanical or Civil?
which has more mechanics?/Maths?

i am not sure what to switch but i need you to advice me what to do in preparation for Civil , mechanical? i am really confused
should i fix cars? or build lego blocks? solve rubix cubes? etc...?

Last edited:
Are there engineering jobs out there for engineers who aren't really all that smart. Something nice cosy and secure ? Is engineering a cutthroat field ?

Electronics and communications, and electrical

Hi again
i just wanted to ask anyone what is the difference between electronics and communications engineering and electrical engineering...

My friend says that:
ECE - is more on circuits, resistors, capacitors, electrostatics, programming

EE - More on math/ physics, wires?... i can't remember what he said...

and is EE engineering really the one with the most math?...

btw i am really weak in programming and circuits but i love math and physics

as mentioned in my last post can you tell me what engineering suits me?

Thank you

Last edited:
Edwardo_Elric, since you are in college you can surely discuss your concerns with your academic adviser. This would be the safest route to go.

ECE and EE are very similar. In fact in most schools only a few courses will separate the two. You can expect to take more courses on programming and computer architecture in ECE, while in EE you will probably deal (in detail) with power electronics and E&M (RF, microwave, etc circuits).

I'm starting a degree in chem eng. But I'm having reservations about my choice of engineering branch. I think I chose it because I'd get to learn lots about fluids and thermodynamics. But I'm now worried that it won't involve as much maths as I'd like. What do you think? Would chem eng involve a lot of maths? Which engineering branches involve the most maths? Aerospace? Mechanical? And no, don't suggest electronics. That's my one weak physics subject.

Thanks.

PS I tried some of the first year problem sheets and found them way too easy. Is it supposed to be like this? I'm a bit disappointed. I was looking forwards to a challenge...

Last edited: