Solving an equation with boundary conditions

In summary, the conversation is about solving an integral using maple and exporting to MATLAB, and finding boundary conditions for constants \overline{x} and C. The suggested method is to put the conditions into the original equation, but there is some confusion about the equation and its relation to the given expressions for h and \overline{h}.
Mad_MechE
Hey all,

I finally figured out how to solve the integral:

[tex]\int{dp} = \int{6U\eta(\frac{h-\overline{h}}{h^{3}})}{dx} + C[/tex]

using maple and have it export to MATLAB where:

[tex]h=R+h0-\sqrt{R+x}\sqrt{R-x}[/tex]
[tex]\overline{h}=R+h0-\sqrt{R+\overline{x}}\sqrt{R-\overline{x}}[/tex]

how do i find the boundary conditions to satisfy the constants [tex]\overline{x}[/tex] and [tex]C[/tex]?

my boundary conditions are:

[tex]p = 0 \ @ \ x = R[/tex]
and
[tex]p = 0 \ @ \ x = -\overline{x} \mbox{ where } \overline{x} \mbox{ is where } \frac{dp}{dx} = 0 \mbox{ (maximum pressure)}[/tex]

i don't know if there is an easy way to do it or not! Thanks for your help!

MT

Physics news on Phys.org
Mad_MechE said:
Hey all,

I finally figured out how to solve the integral:

[tex]\int{dp} = \int{6U\eta(\frac{h-\overline{h}}{h^{3}})}{dx} + C[/tex]

using maple and have it export to MATLAB where:

[tex]h=R+h0-\sqrt{R+x}\sqrt{R-x}[/tex]
[tex]\overline{h}=R+h0-\sqrt{R+\overline{x}}\sqrt{R-\overline{x}}[/tex]

how do i find the boundary conditions to satisfy the constants [tex]\overline{x}[/tex] and [tex]C[/tex]?

my boundary conditions are:

[tex]p = 0 \ @ \ x = R[/tex]
and
[tex]p = 0 \ @ \ x = -\overline{x} \mbox{ where } \overline{x} \mbox{ is where } \frac{dp}{dx} = 0 \mbox{ (maximum pressure)}[/tex]

i don't know if there is an easy way to do it or not! Thanks for your help!

MT
Well, the obvious thing to do would be to put those conditions into your equation, giving you two equations for [itex]\overline{x}[/itex] and C- except that the conditions say "p= 0" and there is NO p in your equation!

Since your original equation, in terms of integrals, has [itex]\int dp[/itex] on the left side, you should get an equation of the form "p= the integral on the right". I have no idea what the equations you give for h and [itex]\overline{h}[/itex] have to do with that equation!

1. What are boundary conditions in an equation?

Boundary conditions are limitations or constraints that are placed on a mathematical equation in order to solve it. They define the values of the dependent variable at the boundaries or edges of the system.

2. Why are boundary conditions important in solving an equation?

Boundary conditions are important because they help to determine a unique solution to an equation. Without them, the equation may have multiple solutions or no solution at all.

3. How do you determine the boundary conditions for an equation?

The boundary conditions can be determined by considering the physical or mathematical properties of the system being modeled. They can also be given as part of the problem statement.

4. Can boundary conditions change the solution of an equation?

Yes, boundary conditions can significantly impact the solution of an equation. Small changes in the boundary conditions can result in large changes in the solution, so it is important to carefully consider and accurately define the boundary conditions.

5. What happens if the boundary conditions are not satisfied in an equation?

If the boundary conditions are not satisfied, the solution to the equation may not accurately represent the behavior of the system being modeled. In some cases, the equation may not even have a valid solution. It is important to check and ensure that the boundary conditions are satisfied in order to obtain a reliable solution.