Constancy of speed of light and galiliean transformation

In summary, the galilean transformation dictates that if a light source were moving at velocity v wrt to an observer in another inertial frame of reference, then this observer would calculate the speed of light to be either (c-v) or (c+v) depending upon the source's direction of motion. However, this is untrue, and the galilean transformation is wrong. My question is why was this a surprising result(inapplicability of galilean transformation to light)? This is equally true of sound as well isn't it - the speed of sound is independent of the speed of the source.
jablonsky27
Hi,

I'm reading up on special relativity and it is pointed out that the galilean transformation dictates that if a light source were moving at velocity v wrt to an observer in another inertial frame of reference, then this observer would calculate the speed of light to be either (c-v) or (c+v) depending upon the source's direction of motion.

Since this is untrue, the galilean transformation is wrong.

My question is why was this a surprising result(inapplicability of galilean transformation to light)?
This is equally true of sound as well isn't it - the speed of sound is independent of the speed of the source.

Physics news on Phys.org
jablonsky27 said:
Hi,

I'm reading up on special relativity and it is pointed out that the galilean transformation dictates that if a light source were moving at velocity v wrt to an observer in another inertial frame of reference, then this observer would calculate the speed of light to be either (c-v) or (c+v) depending upon the source's direction of motion.

Since this is untrue, the galilean transformation is wrong.

My question is why was this a surprising result(inapplicability of galilean transformation to light)?
This is equally true of sound as well isn't it - the speed of sound is independent of the speed of the source.

What was surprising, is that at the same time the relativity principle holds: no motion relative to the ``light medium'' can be detected, the speed of light is measured as c with respect to any inertial reference system. That may seem to be, as Einstein put it, irreconcilable with the postulate that the speed of light in empty space is c, independent of the motion of the source.

- http://www.fourmilab.ch/etexts/einstein/specrel/www/

Note: all observers are in all inertial frames of reference.

harrylin said:
the speed of light is measured as c with respect to any inertial reference system. That may seem to be, as Einstein put it, irreconcilable with the postulate that the speed of light in empty space is c, independent of the motion of the source.

the relativity principle states that all physical phenomena have the same form in all inertial reference frames.
applying the galilean transformation to light and any inertial frame results in an incompatibility.

similarly, doesn't applying the galilean transformation to sound also result in the same incompatibility? so i guess my question is, why wasnt it realized wrt to sound itself that there was a problem with galilean transformation and Newtonian mechanics in general?

jablonsky27 said:
the relativity principle states that all physical phenomena have the same form in all inertial reference frames.
applying the galilean transformation to light and any inertial frame results in an incompatibility.

similarly, doesn't applying the galilean transformation to sound also result in the same incompatibility?
No, it doesn't, becuase the the speed of sound is relative to the medium through which it is traveling. Thus the speed of sound relative to receiver depends on the velocity of the receiver with respect to the medium. For light, no movement by source or receiver will result in the receiver measuring a difference in the speed of light with respect to himself.

And isn't the speed of light relative to the local space-time curvature, or gravity field?
Ok, it is constant in 4 dimensional spacetime, but does that mean, it is always the same in 3 dimensional space?

GTOM said:
And isn't the speed of light relative to the local space-time curvature, or gravity field?
Ok, it is constant in 4 dimensional spacetime, but does that mean, it is always the same in 3 dimensional space?
You probably have in mind that in a non-inertial frame (for example if the observer is accelerating, or in the realm of general relativity when gravity or cosmological expansion is accounted for) it is possible for the speed of light at some distance away from the observer might not equal the constant c.

But in all cases if you measure the speed of light in vacuum as it passes right next to you, using local clocks and local rulers, you always get the same answer c no matter where you are or how you are moving or accelerating (or how the source moved).

The same does not apply to sound because your speed relative to the medium (e.g. air) makes a difference.

"But in all cases if you measure the speed of light in vacuum as it passes right next to you, using local clocks and local rulers, you always get the same answer c no matter where you are or how you are moving or accelerating (or how the source moved)."

I heard, that they measure speed that they compare the wave amplitudo at the start, and at the end.
So how do you make a difference, that Doppler effect only changed frequency, because you move with c/2 or the light speed relative to you is only c/2?
How can you say, the high speed doesn't effect the measuring instrument?

Sorry but i really don't get it. :(
Light travels through space. How should it know, what speed do i have, so it will hit me with a speed of c, no matter what?

Maybe we could get similar results to sound, if our instruments would use sound waves.
We measure things with EM waves, and light is an EM wave. What effects light, also effects our instruments.

GTOM said:
"But in all cases if you measure the speed of light in vacuum as it passes right next to you, using local clocks and local rulers, you always get the same answer c no matter where you are or how you are moving or accelerating (or how the source moved)."

I heard, that they measure speed that they compare the wave amplitudo at the start, and at the end.
So how do you make a difference, that Doppler effect only changed frequency, because you move with c/2 or the light speed relative to you is only c/2?
How can you say, the high speed doesn't effect the measuring instrument?

Sorry but i really don't get it. :(
Light travels through space. How should it know, what speed do i have, so it will hit me with a speed of c, no matter what?

Maybe we could get similar results to sound, if our instruments would use sound waves.
We measure things with EM waves, and light is an EM wave. What effects light, also effects our instruments.

It would be inconsistent to claim that a high speed does not affect our instruments. So, that thing you did get! :smile:
However, we could not get similar results with sound, because our instruments are not at all made of sound waves (they can be thought of made of some kind of electromagnetic waves, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matter_wave).

Harald

1. What is the constancy of the speed of light?

The constancy of the speed of light is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the speed of light in a vacuum remains constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference. This means that the speed of light is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

2. How is the constancy of the speed of light related to Galilean transformation?

The constancy of the speed of light is related to Galilean transformation through the concept of relative motion. Galilean transformation is a mathematical framework used to describe the relationship between the positions and velocities of objects in different frames of reference. The constancy of the speed of light must be taken into account when performing Galilean transformations, as it is a fundamental constant that cannot be exceeded.

3. Why is the constancy of the speed of light important in physics?

The constancy of the speed of light is important in physics because it has significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It is a fundamental principle that has been confirmed by numerous experiments and is a key component in many theories, including Einstein's theory of relativity. Without the constancy of the speed of light, our understanding of space, time, and motion would be drastically different.

4. How was the constancy of the speed of light first discovered?

The constancy of the speed of light was first discovered in the late 19th century by scientists such as Albert Michelson and Edward Morley. They conducted an experiment to measure the speed of light in different directions and found that it remained constant, regardless of the Earth's motion around the sun. This experiment provided evidence for the concept of the constancy of the speed of light and laid the foundation for further research in this area.

5. Can the constancy of the speed of light be violated?

No, the constancy of the speed of light has been confirmed by numerous experiments and is considered a fundamental principle in physics. It is a part of the theory of relativity, which has been extensively tested and has not been disproven. Violating the constancy of the speed of light would require a complete overhaul of our understanding of space, time, and motion, which is highly unlikely.