Quantum information science and M-theory

In summary, Andrew Steane says that a quantum computer is more efficient than a classical computer in simulating physical systems, but it is not guaranteed to do so. Additionally, he says that it is not guaranteed to be efficient in simulating evolution.
Boris Leykin
Hello.
I've got childish question.
I know that quantum computers are more effective than classical ones
in solving some problems. Naturally, a thought have come to me: are
there computers which are more effective than quantum ones, maybe
some "Superstring" computers? And maybe there are computers which
are more effective than Superstring computers? And so foth, ad infinitum.:smile:
I tried to search on the Internet for "superstring computers" with no result.
Accidentally on the http://www.theory.caltech.edu/people/preskill/"
I've found http://www.theory.caltech.edu/~preskill/talks/berkeley_jp_may02.pdf" .
Here are Preskill's words from this talk:
"Can a quantum computer simulate M theory efficiently? Perhaps not,
because of M-theory inherent nonlocality. E.g., a quantum system
described by M-theory may have no natural tensor product
decomposition into smaller systems. Thus, M-theory may be a more
powerful computational model."

So I decided to ask you, what do you think about all this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I remember that somebody did point out that some String theory models are computationally ridiculously powerful.
Anybody remember which paper that was, or remembers something else that might be a lead to finding it?

Hi :)
I peeped into ask what is the progress?
:rolleyes: Oh! Why it is so difficult to invent "string" computer I can't understand :smile:
http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9708022" Andrew Steane says:
"7.1 Simulation of physical systems

The first and most obvious application of a QC is that
of simulating some other quantum system. To simulate
a state vector in a 2^n-dimensional Hilbert space, a clas-
sical computer needs to manipulate vectors containing
of order 2^n complex numbers, whereas a quantum com-
puter requires just n qubits, making it much more effi-
cient in storage space. To simulate evolution,in general
both the classical and quantum computers will be inef-
ficient. A classical computer must manipulate matrices
containing of order 2^(2n) elements, which requires a num-
ber of operations (multiplication, addition) exponen-
tially large in n, while a quantum computer must build
unitary operations in 2^n-dimensional Hilbert space,
which usually requires an exponentially large num-
ber of elementary quantum logic gates. Therefore the
quantum computer is not guaranteed to simulate every
physical system efficiently. However, it can be shown
that it can simulate a large class of quantum systems
efficiently, including many for which there is no effi-
cient classical algorithm, such as many-body systems
with local interactions."

"To simulate evolution,in general both the classical and quantum computers will be inefficient."
Does he mean that "string" computers really exist?
"Therefore the quantum computer is not guaranteed to simulate every physical system efficiently."
Don't you know what are those systems? Can you give an example of one such system, please?

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is getting to be too highly-speculative, even for this particular forum.

Please note that the reason why we can talk about "quantum computers" is because it is based on a well-established theory that has been verified to no end. That is how we can make applications out of something. We cannot make applications out of something that is still unverified and not understood. Not only that, there isn't JUST ONE string/superstring theory.

Please re-read the PF Guidelines that you have agreed to, especially on overly-speculative post. This thread is done.

Zz.

1. What is quantum information science?

Quantum information science is a field of study that combines the principles of quantum physics and information theory to understand and manipulate information at the quantum level. It involves using quantum systems, such as qubits, to store, process, and transmit information in a more efficient and secure way than classical computers.

2. What is M-theory?

M-theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to unify the five different string theories that describe the fundamental interactions of the universe. It proposes that the universe is made up of 11 dimensions and that all particles and forces are manifestations of different vibrations in a single underlying structure called a superstring.

3. How do quantum information science and M-theory relate?

Quantum information science and M-theory are both branches of theoretical physics that aim to understand the fundamental nature of the universe. They are related in the sense that they both deal with the behavior of particles at the quantum level and how information is processed and transmitted. M-theory also provides a theoretical framework for understanding the behavior of quantum systems and their interactions.

4. What are some potential applications of quantum information science and M-theory?

Quantum information science and M-theory have a wide range of potential applications, including quantum computing, cryptography, and communication. They also have implications for understanding the nature of space and time, and could potentially lead to advances in fields such as astrophysics and cosmology.

5. What are the current challenges in quantum information science and M-theory?

One of the main challenges in quantum information science is to develop reliable and scalable quantum computers, as well as finding ways to protect quantum systems from external disturbances. In M-theory, the main challenge is to find experimental evidence that supports its theoretical predictions and to reconcile it with other theories, such as general relativity. Both fields also face the challenge of obtaining funding and resources for further research and development.