Where is Hp 50g's KEYTIME command?

• Calculators
  • Thread starter AznBoi
  • Start date
In summary: Object' list highlighted. Just select [F1] (the 'EDIT' option) and type in:[right-shift] [+] [5] [0] [0] [SPC] [alpha] [alpha] [right-shift] [0] [STO:K] [F5:E] [1/X:Y] [COS:T] [TOOL:I] [HIST:M] [F5:E]and you're good to go.In summary, the KEYTIME command allows you to set the keytime for the calculator, which can be helpful in preventing missed keystrokes
AznBoi
**UPDATE - 10/14/06** One of the commands available, not documented in the 50g material, but documented for several earlier HP calculators, is a KEYTIME command. Quite simply, replacing the default keytime with "500" eliminates missed keystrokes. This corrects the problem I described above.

Where do I find this KEYTIME command that this other user stated?? I really want to fix the "missed keystrokes" problem. Thanks.:smile:

Computer science news on Phys.org
Do you just type ->KEYTIME(500) in the box?? It seems to work after I did that. If never used such a high tech calc and the capabilities are endless! I can't even manage to solve a variable. =/

How to change Keytime to 500

To change the KEYTIME in RPN-mode you may type into one line
<<500->KEYTIME>>​
Try to remove spaces in the above line. The '<<' and '>>' are accessed right above the '+'-key, '->' is right above '0'. KEYTIME is typed using the alpha-keys.
Then press Enter and store the program (indeed it is a program) in the Variable 'STARTUP' in the 'HOME' directory. Thus you type with the alpha-keys
'STARTUP'​
press Enter and press the key
STO​

To run the program 'STARTUP' by hand, press the key
FILES​
(left above 'APPS') change into the 'HOME'-directory, select 'STARTUP' and press the key
EVAL​
Because 'Startup' is run also each time you restart your hp, you now allways will work with the above defined keytime.

The check the active KEYTIME you may press the key
CAT​
(right above SYMB) and scroll down to see the setting for KEYTIME pressing OK when KEYTIME is activated.

I hope to be able to help you.
Best wishes
Hans Bauer

I entered the <<500->KEYTIME>> command. It registered, went to the box above the command line, and I tried it out, but it seems the same (I cannot type 500 quickly without getting 50). I then tried <<1->KEYTIME>>, and this also did not help... Anybody have any suggestions for this problem?

Trixton said:
I entered the <<500->KEYTIME>> command. It registered, went to the box above the command line, and I tried it out, but it seems the same (I cannot type 500 quickly without getting 50). I then tried <<1->KEYTIME>>, and this also did not help... Anybody have any suggestions for this problem?

Sounds like you entered the program but never evaluated it. The directions given to you also assumed you were in RPN mode, which may not be the case. Here's an easier approach, regardless of what mode you are in:

1. Start the FILER application via: [left-shift] [APPS]

2. You should see the Home directory selected in the File Manager. Just press: ENTER

3. Now you should see a list of variables stored in the main directory. Press [NXT] once and you should see a menu item called 'NEW' -- select this menu item with the [F3] key.

4. This should bring you to a New Variable application where you can create a new variable. You should see the Object: section highlighted. Select [F1] (which is the 'EDIT' option in the mneu) and type in:

[right-shift] [+] [5] [0] [0] [SPC] [alpha] [alpha] [right-shift] [0] [STO:K] [F5:E] [1/X:Y] [COS:T] [TOOL:I] [HIST:M] [F5:E]

and you should see:

<< 500 ->KEYTIME >>

Then press ENTER and now type in the name you wish to store this program as: STARTUP

5. Once you enter the name STARTUP just press [F6] (OK on the menu).

6. Now you should be back at the list of variables (within the File Manager). Exit out of this application via the [ON] key.

7. Press the [VAR] key then the corresponding [Fn] key for 'STARTUP' (you might only see 'START' in the menu).

-- Han

ATTENTION ALL: Let me preface the following instructions for using KEYTIME by suggesting you familiarize yourself with RPN if you haven't already done so. It will help you maximize your experience with the HP 50G. All sensible people, upon being exposed to RPN, never go back.
So, the following instructions are for RPN users. I won't waste my time on you if you insist on not using RPN. You're cheating yourself in the end.

1.)
->KEYTIME and KEYTIME-> are both executable from the keyboard.
To be more specific: [ALPHA] [ALPHA] 5 0 0 -> K E Y T I M E [ENTER] will set the keytime to a value of 500.
[ALPHA] [ALPHA] K E Y T I M E -> [ENTER] will put the current keytime value on the stack.

2.)
If you must access these commands from CAT ( [Right-Shift] [SYMB] ), [ALPHA] [ALPHA] K will get you there a little faster.

3.)
Of course, you can put a program like << 500 ->KEYTIME >> in a variable named 'STARTUP', as outlined above by others, but you do not need to fool with FILES, APPS or any of that other junk. Variables (all variables, including ones containing programs and data) are accessed from the VAR menu. Just press [VAR] and you will see them.

4.)
You do not have to be in the VAR menu to key in a program. If you must have a program for the ->KEYTIME command, find the right-shifted function at the "plus" key (<<>>).
Press [Right-Shift] [+] [ALPHA] [ALPHA] 5 0 0 -> K E Y T I M E [ENTER] .
Then, [ALPHA] [ALPHA] S T A R T U P [ENTER] [STO].
You now have a program stored in a variable named 'STARTUP' that will set your keytime to 500. If you ever want to execute this program when you feel the urge, press [VAR] then [STARTUP].

5.)
Maybe you prefer some other value to 500. Use that value instead when you use ->KEYTIME or make a program that uses ->KEYTIME.

I apologize for seeming snippy and being overly verbose, but I become impatient with chasing commands via menus. You can do all kinds of stuff on the HP 50G or HP 48GX directly from the keyboard, if you know the name of the commands you're interested in. I find menus to be cumbersome and a last resort option. I don't mention the HP 49G, 49G+ or 48GII, because they are horrible pieces of junk better disposed of via hammer or acetylene torch.

Last edited:

FAQ: Where is Hp 50g's KEYTIME command?

1. Where can I find the KEYTIME command on my Hp 50g calculator?

The KEYTIME command on the Hp 50g calculator is located in the "Time" menu, which can be accessed by pressing the "APPS" button and then selecting "Time." It is the third option in the menu.

2. What does the KEYTIME command do on the Hp 50g calculator?

The KEYTIME command on the Hp 50g calculator is used to set the date and time on the calculator. It allows you to input the current date and time, as well as set alarms and timers.

3. How do I use the KEYTIME command to set an alarm on my Hp 50g calculator?

To set an alarm using the KEYTIME command, first access the "Time" menu by pressing the "APPS" button and selecting "Time." Then, select the "Alarm" option and enter the desired time for the alarm. Press "Enter" to confirm and the alarm will be set.

4. Can I use the KEYTIME command to set multiple alarms on my Hp 50g calculator?

Yes, the KEYTIME command on the Hp 50g calculator allows you to set multiple alarms. Simply repeat the steps for setting an alarm for each additional alarm you want to set.

5. How do I turn off an alarm set using the KEYTIME command on my Hp 50g calculator?

To turn off an alarm set using the KEYTIME command, go to the "Time" menu and select "Alarm." Then, select the alarm you want to turn off and press the "ON/OFF" button to toggle it off. The alarm will no longer sound at the set time.