How can I solve Fredholm Integral Equations?

• Thread starter apalmer3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about solving Fredholm Integral Equations, specifically inhomogeneous equations of the second kind. The speaker is seeking help in understanding how to solve for u(x) in the given example problem. They are wondering if the same approach used for solving a Volterra equation can be applied or if there is a better approach. The responder explains the process for solving a Fredholm equation with a separable kernel and suggests using a sum of separable terms if the kernel is not separable. They also mention the use of trigonometric identities in the given example problem.
apalmer3
Hello All!

I am currently in an Applied Analysis class, and I'm trying to do a little research outside of the classroom to try and understand what my teacher is trying to say.

So, I'm supposed to understand how to solve Fredholm Integral Equations (inhomogeneous and of the second kind). Would anybody be willing to help me understand?

Here's an example problem from the notes:

u(x) = cos(x) + [tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\int[/tex]sin(x-y)u(y)dy

The limits of the integral are from 0 to [tex]\pi[/tex].

I'm supposed to solve for u(x), and I'm not exactly sure how. I know that, if it were a Volterra equation, I could solve it by convolution. Is it the same for a Fredholm equation? Or is there a better approach?

Thanks so very very much!
Abigail

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I consider Fredholm equations to be much simpler than Volterra equations!

In general, a "Fredholm" integral equation is of the form
[tex]y(x)= \int_a^b K(x,t)y(t)dt+ u(x)[/tex]

Start with the simple case: if K(x,t)= A(x)B(t), that is, if the kernel is "separable" you can do the following: Let
[tex]X= \int_a^b B(t)y(t)dt[/itex]
[tex]C= \int_a^b A(x)B(x)dx[/itex]
and
[tex]D= \int_a^b B(x)u(x)dx[/itex]
Notice that these are all numbers (X is a numerical variable).

The integral equation can be rewritten as
y(x)= X A(x)+ u(x)
Multiply both sides of the integeral equation by B(x):
B(x)y(x)= X A(x)B(x) + B(x)u(x)
and integrate from a to b:
X= CX+ D, a numerical equation from which we can solve (1-C)X= D so X= D/(1- C).

The solution to the integral equation is y(x)+ XA(x)+ u(x)= DA(x)/(1- C)+ u(x).

If K(x,t) is NOT separable, you can write it as a sum (finite or infinite) of "separable terms": A1(x)B1(x)+ A2(x)B2(x)+ ... and get a system of linear equations for "Xi" rather than a single equation.

In your particular case, it helps to remember that sin(x- y)= sin(x)cos(y)- cos(x)sin(y).

Related to How can I solve Fredholm Integral Equations?

What is a Fredholm Integral Equation?

A Fredholm Integral Equation is a type of integral equation that involves an unknown function inside the integral. It is named after the Swedish mathematician Ivar Fredholm.

What is the difference between a Fredholm Integral Equation and a Volterra Integral Equation?

The main difference between these two types of integral equations is that a Fredholm Integral Equation has a fixed upper limit of integration, while a Volterra Integral Equation has a variable upper limit that depends on the unknown function.

What are the applications of Fredholm Integral Equations?

Fredholm Integral Equations have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are commonly used to model physical phenomena such as heat transfer, fluid flow, and electrical networks.

How are Fredholm Integral Equations solved?

There are several methods for solving Fredholm Integral Equations, including the method of successive approximations, the Fredholm alternative, and the Fredholm determinant method. The choice of method depends on the specific equation and its properties.

What are the limitations of using Fredholm Integral Equations?

While Fredholm Integral Equations have many applications, they also have some limitations. They can be difficult to solve analytically, and numerical methods are often required. Additionally, they may only have solutions for certain types of functions or under certain conditions.