How do I draw a free-body diagram for an object sliding down an inclined plane?

In summary, this student is having problems understanding the mathematics behind free-body diagrams, and not the physics.
Physics news on Phys.org
Misr said:
Hello there ,
I don't know how to draw free body diagrams ,
so can u illustrate to me how to draw an FBD for an object sliding down a ramp like this one.
http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/211_fall2004.web.dir/Jeff_Levison/freebody_diagram.jpg
illustrate this in details , please

Thanks

This is a rather vague question. What exactly don't you know? The figure already shows you, in detail, what the FBD should look like. So where are you having a problem? When I had students who asked me a question like this, I often find that they're having problems with the mathematics, i.e. trig and geometry, and not the physics.

This is a standard school work. Start with the simpler form, such as a mass on a horizontal surface. Can you draw the FBD for that? In other words, show us what you already know, and we can work from there. It is the only way to figure out the source of your problem.

Zz.

such as a mass on a horizontal surface. Can you draw the FBD for that?
Yes i can

I'm havin a prob with the imaginary line down the ramp , which is equilibruim with the normal force
I don't know why do we suppose so.
I don't know why should the angle of inclination of the ramp should equal the angle of inclination of the normal force

I think these are my problems

When you draw free-body diagrams, what are the forces you include and don't include? What is the minimum annotation a free-body diagram must have?

I don't know

Read these:
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/newtlaws/u2l2c.cfm"
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/vectors/u3l3e.cfm"

Last edited by a moderator:
Read these:
Drawing Free-Body Diagrams
Inclined Planes
This website is magnificent
Thanks , my problem is solved now .

FAQ: How do I draw a free-body diagram for an object sliding down an inclined plane?

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of all the forces acting on an object. It shows the direction and magnitude of each force, and helps to analyze the motion of the object.

2. How do I draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, you first need to identify all the forces acting on the object. Then, draw a dot or a small box to represent the object, and draw arrows to represent each force. Make sure to label each force with its name and direction.

3. Why is it important to draw free body diagrams?

Free body diagrams are important because they help to visualize and understand the forces that are acting on an object. By drawing a free body diagram, you can determine the net force and acceleration of an object, and predict its motion.

4. Can free body diagrams be used for any type of object?

Yes, free body diagrams can be used for any type of object, as long as there are forces acting on it. They are commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the forces on an object, but can also be used in other fields such as biology and sports.

5. Are there any tips for drawing accurate free body diagrams?

When drawing a free body diagram, it is important to make sure that all forces are properly labeled and in the correct direction. It is also helpful to break down complex forces into their components and draw each one separately. Additionally, double check your diagram to ensure that all forces are taken into account and there are no missing forces.