QM Prep: Jumping into QFT with Griffiths & Shankar

• Thread starter WannabeNewton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qft
In summary, the individual finished most of Griffith's Introduction to QM text and is wondering if that is enough to delve into Srednicki's Quantum Field Theory text. They have knowledge of relativity at the level of Carroll's Spacetime and Geometry text. Additional resources such as David Tong's notes, Zee's QFT in a Nutshell, and Shankar's Principles of QM are recommended. It is also suggested to become familiar with the Dirac equation before starting QFT and have a strong understanding of abstract mathematics for research in QFT or string theory.
WannabeNewton
Science Advisor
Hi guys. So I just finished most of Griffith's Introduction to QM text (including the problems). I was wondering, is this text enough to delve into Srednicki's Quantum Field Theory text or should I also go through Shankar's Principles of QM? Relativity should not be an issue (I hope) as I have knowledge of it at the level of Carroll's Spacetime and Geometry text. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
WannabeNewton said:
Hi guys. So I just finished most of Griffith's Introduction to QM text (including the problems). I was wondering, is this text enough to delve into Srednicki's Quantum Field Theory text or should I also go through Shankar's Principles of QM? Relativity should not be an issue (I hope) as I have knowledge of it at the level of Carroll's Spacetime and Geometry text. Thanks in advance.

I personally find David Tong's notes to be more understandable than any QFT text:
http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qft.html I guess you can (and should) supplement this notes with textbooks and try to see if you can understand the subject... if not, then just pick up the necessary pre-requisites along the way!

Woah thanks. I particularly like the fact that it has videos =D.

Also, I've found Zee's QFT in a Nutshell to be very good.

If all you have is Griffith's, I'd suggest at least using Shankar as a reference. You really need to internalize bra/ket notation (and what it implies about vector/function spaces) before you can begin to play around with more field theoretic ideas. The easier the notation is to manipulate, and the more internalized the ideas, the less you'll get hung up on the "normal" quantum mechanical operations.

While this next advice is a bit unconventional- get acquainted with the Dirac equation before you start with quantum field theory. Try to solve it for the free particle and the hydrogen atom (it can be solved exactly), and look at some expectation values of operators. I often think we move to quickly from quantum mechanics in a non-relativistic setting to field theory and skip some of the insight that can be gained with Dirac as an intermediate. Shankar (among other books) treats the Dirac equation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should a beginner in QFT have very strong math skills or is this math skills gained later during the study?

zahero_2007 said:
Should a beginner in QFT have very strong math skills or is this math skills gained later during the study?

The David Tong QFT notes previously mentioned should give you a good idea.

http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qft.html

If you've had a year of undergrad QM that used Dirac notation, you should be reasonably prepared. Some math you should already have (like contour integration, but you can learn that in an afternoon from Boas or another "math methods" book), and some is part of learning QFT (e.g. spinors). It's a good idea to have a "math methods" book handy for specific topics like the gamma function.

Thank You , so if I want to do research in QFT or string theory , should I do additional courses in advanced math other than that required by a traditional QFT or string theory and also have very strong skills in math to do research ?

zahero_2007 said:
Thank You , so if I want to do research in QFT or string theory , should I do additional courses in advanced math other than that required by a traditional QFT or string theory and also have very strong skills in math to do research ?

A theoretical physicist needs to be comfortable with abstract mathematics to be able to read the mathematical literature. The math needed for theoretical work is not always explained in a friendly "for physicists" textbook. Unfortunately, you probably won't have time for much additional coursework, so much of this has to be picked up by self-study.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521829607/?tag=pfamazon01-20 book may give you the flavor of some of the math involved.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is QFT and why is it important in physics?

Quantum Field Theory (QFT) is a theoretical framework that combines quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It is important in physics because it is the most successful theory we have for understanding and predicting the behavior of fundamental particles and their interactions.

2. Who are Griffiths and Shankar and what is their contribution to QFT?

David Griffiths is a physicist and author of the textbook "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics", which is widely used in undergraduate courses. His contribution to QFT is his textbook "Introduction to Elementary Particles" which provides a comprehensive introduction to the subject. Ramamurti Shankar is also a physicist and author of the textbook "Principles of Quantum Mechanics". He has made significant contributions to the understanding of quantum field theory, especially in the area of non-relativistic quantum mechanics.

3. Is "QM Prep: Jumping into QFT with Griffiths & Shankar" suitable for beginners?

Yes, "QM Prep: Jumping into QFT with Griffiths & Shankar" is designed for beginners with a basic understanding of quantum mechanics. It provides a step-by-step approach to learning QFT, making it accessible to those with little or no prior knowledge of the subject.

4. What topics are covered in "QM Prep: Jumping into QFT with Griffiths & Shankar"?

The course covers topics such as the basic principles of quantum field theory, the Dirac equation, relativistic wave equations, Feynman diagrams, and renormalization. It also includes exercises and practice problems to help solidify understanding of the concepts.

5. Are there any prerequisites for taking "QM Prep: Jumping into QFT with Griffiths & Shankar"?

Yes, a basic understanding of quantum mechanics is required for this course. It is recommended that students have taken an undergraduate course in quantum mechanics or have a solid understanding of the principles and mathematical formalism of quantum mechanics.