Find Coeff. of Friction for 1200kg Truck on Slippery Road

• Thread starter preet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coefficient of kinetic friction for a truck skidding to a stop on a slippery road. The process involves calculating the average speed, acceleration, force, normal force, and finally the coefficient of friction. The main confusion is around solving for the net force on the truck and how it relates to the force of friction. Ultimately, the coefficient of friction is found by applying the equation F_f = \mu N = \mu mg.
preet
I need to find the coeffecient of kinetic friction for the following problem... all the stuff after the dashes is what I've done... The answer is approximately half the answer I keep getting, so I think I'm missing something...

The driver of a 1200kg truck traveling 45km/h [E] on a slippery road applies the brakes, skidding to a stop in 35m. Determine the coeffecient between the road and the car tires.

------------------------

45km/h = 12.5m/s

find the time it took to stop to find acceleration:
v=d/t 12.5 = 35/t t=2.56s

find acceleration:
a=v/t a=12.5/2.56
a=4.88 m/s^2

find force:
a=f/m 4.88= f / 1200 f=5856N[E]

find normal force:
mg = 1200 (9.81) = 11772N

find friction coeff.
Force of friction = coeff * Normal Force
5856N = x * 11772
x = .49

The answer in the book is .23... I don't understand how to find friction force. I substituted the force of the truck for the friction because I remember seeing that somewhere with a similar question. I'd appreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
speed not constant

preet said:
find the time it took to stop to find acceleration:
v=d/t 12.5 = 35/t t=2.56s
This would only be true if the speed were constant, but it's not. Instead, you could use the average speed, then you'd be OK. Since the truck's speed ranges from 12.5 m/s to 0, what's the average speed?

It worked! Thank you! ... I just have one last question. When I solved for the Force (a = f/m) , what was I solving for in relation to the truck? And why do I put that force as the force of friction when I'm trying to solve for the coeffecient? If the force of friction was equal to the force of the truck, then the truck shouldn't have been moving right?

Thanks again!

I think you are confusing yourself a bit. When you apply Newton's 2nd law (F = ma) you are solving for the net force on the truck. Which, in this case, happens to be the frictional force since that's the only horizontal force acting on the truck. The term "force of the truck" has no meaning.

In summary: The truck was moving along at some speed (net force = zero). The brakes were applied, thus applying a frictional force (the ground pushing on the truck) that accelerated (de-accelerated) the truck, slowing it to speed zero. You calculated the acceleration, then the force of friction [itex]F_f[/itex]. To calculate the coefficient of friction, you applied [itex]F_f = \mu N = \mu mg[/itex].

(Tip: If you can resist the temptation to plug in numbers too soon, you can often save yourself a bit of calculating. In this case [itex]F_f = \mu mg[/itex] ==> [itex]ma = \mu mg[/itex] ==> [itex]\mu = a/g[/itex].)

I get it now =)
Thanks a lot!

Related to Find Coeff. of Friction for 1200kg Truck on Slippery Road

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact. It is a dimensionless value that ranges from 0 to 1, where 0 represents no friction and 1 represents maximum friction.

2. How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force required to move an object over a surface by the weight of the object. This can be done using the formula μ = F/W, where μ is the coefficient of friction, F is the force, and W is the weight.

3. Why is it important to find the coefficient of friction for a truck on a slippery road?

Knowing the coefficient of friction for a truck on a slippery road is important for several reasons. It can help determine the stopping distance of the truck, the amount of force needed to move the truck, and the overall safety of driving the truck on the road.

4. How is the coefficient of friction affected by different road conditions?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by different road conditions, such as wet, icy, or rough surfaces. These conditions can decrease the coefficient of friction, making it more difficult for a truck to brake or accelerate, and increasing the risk of accidents.

5. What factors can affect the coefficient of friction for a truck on a slippery road?

There are several factors that can affect the coefficient of friction for a truck on a slippery road. These include the weight and type of tires on the truck, the condition and texture of the road surface, and the speed and braking force of the truck. Weather conditions, such as rain or snow, can also have a significant impact on the coefficient of friction.