Confusion (8) from Weinberg's QFT.(Lippmann-Schwinger eqn)

• Thread starter kof9595995
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusion
In summary: But then it is hard to see how to apply residue calculus since the denominator is in terms of energy. If we want we can convert the momentum integral into energy integral, since d^3\mathbf{p}=p^2\sin\theta dpd\theta d\phi, and E_\alpha=\sqrt{p^2+m^2}, since by definition E_\alpha is the energy of a free particle labeled by \alpha.In summary, Weinberg's argument in the asymptotic past fails because he uses a contour integration in the complex E_\alpha plane, which does not converge.
kof9595995
I was reviewing the first few chapters of Weinberg VolI and found a hole in my understanding in page 112, where he tried to show in the asymptotic past [itex]t=-\infty[/itex], the in states coincide with a free state. In particular, he argued the integral [tex]\int d\alpha\frac{e^{-iE_{\alpha}t}g(\alpha)T_{\beta\alpha}^+\Phi_\beta}{E_\alpha-E_\beta+i\epsilon}\ldots(1)[/tex] would vanish, where [itex]d\alpha=d^3\mathbf{p}[/itex](also involves discrete indices like spin, but of no relevance here). In his argument, he used a contour integration in the complex [itex]E_\alpha[/itex] plane, in which the integral of central interest is the integration along real line [tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty dE_\alpha\frac{e^{-iE_{\alpha}t}g(\alpha)T_{\beta\alpha}^+\Phi_\beta}{E_\alpha-E_\beta+i\epsilon}\ldots(2)[/tex].
I don't see how to obtain (2) from (1), since the lower bound of energy is the rest mass, in the best case I could get something like [itex]\int_{m}^\infty dE_\alpha\cdots[/itex], but how could one extend this onto the whole real line.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well I think the answer is that he's not really integrating over dE, he's integrating over dα, which includes an integral over dp. E(p) is treated as just a variable that depends on p.

The integral over dp goes from 0 to ∞, which can be extended by symmetry to -∞. Then on the large semicircle, since both p and E ≈ pc go to infinity, he can make the argument that eiEt vanishes.

Bill_K said:
The integral over dp goes from 0 to ∞, which can be extended by symmetry to -∞.
But in most cases there is no such symmetry because of [itex]g(\alpha)[/itex]

The integral over dp goes from 0 to ∞, which can be extended by symmetry to -∞.
I take it back. No extension is necessary. The integral is ∫ dα ≡ ∫-∞dpx-∞ dpy-∞dpz. It already extends along the entire real axis in each dimension, and all that needs to be done is to close the contour with a semicircle.

Repeat: it is not ∫ dEα, as you have it written. E is not the integration variable.

Bill_K said:
I take it back. No extension is necessary. The integral is ∫ dα ≡ ∫-∞dpx-∞ dpy-∞dpz. It already extends along the entire real axis in each dimension, and all that needs to be done is to close the contour with a semicircle.

Repeat: it is not ∫ dEα, as you have it written. E is not the integration variable.
But then it is hard to see how to apply residue calculus since the denominator is in terms of energy. If we want we can convert the momentum integral into energy integral, since [itex]d^3\mathbf{p}=p^2\sin\theta dpd\theta d\phi[/itex], and [itex]E_\alpha=\sqrt{p^2+m^2}[/itex], since by definition [itex]E_\alpha[/itex] is the energy of a free particle labeled by [itex]\alpha[/itex]

1. What is the Lippmann-Schwinger equation in QFT?

The Lippmann-Schwinger equation is an integral equation that is used to describe the scattering of particles in quantum field theory. It relates the initial and final states of a scattering process to the interaction potential between the particles.

2. How does the Lippmann-Schwinger equation relate to Weinberg's QFT?

The Lippmann-Schwinger equation is a fundamental tool in Weinberg's quantum field theory. It is used to calculate scattering amplitudes and study the behavior of particles in a quantum field theory framework.

3. What is the role of the Lippmann-Schwinger equation in understanding confusion in Weinberg's QFT?

The Lippmann-Schwinger equation helps us understand the phenomenon of confusion in Weinberg's quantum field theory. It allows us to study the scattering of particles and the effects of interactions, which can lead to confusion in the quantum world.

4. How does the Lippmann-Schwinger equation help us solve confusion in QFT?

The Lippmann-Schwinger equation provides a mathematical framework for calculating scattering amplitudes and studying the behavior of particles in a quantum field theory. This helps us understand and potentially resolve confusion in QFT by providing a way to analyze and interpret experimental data.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Lippmann-Schwinger equation in QFT?

Like any mathematical tool, the Lippmann-Schwinger equation has its limitations. It may not accurately describe certain types of interactions or may not be applicable in certain scenarios. It also becomes increasingly complex as the number of particles involved in a scattering process increases. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of the equation when using it in QFT.