Levi - Civita tensor and operations with it

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of symbols to simplify representing vectorial operations, specifically the vector equation A_\mu\hat{e_\mu}=\sum_{i=1}^{3} A_i\hat{e_i}=\vec{A} and the cross product \vec{A}\times\vec{B}=\sum_{i,j,k=1}^{3} \epsilon_{ijk}\hat{e_i}A_j B_k = \epsilon_{\lambda\mu\nu} \hat{e_\lambda} A_\mu B_\nu . The conversation also mentions an exercise to simplify (\vec{A}\times\vec{B})^2 and the use of an identity to express
Yegor
I read about symbols which simplify representing vectorial operations.
For example
[tex] A_\mu\hat{e_\mu}=\sum_{i=1}^{3} A_i\hat{e_i}=\vec{A}[/tex]
also
[tex]\vec{A}\times\vec{B}=\sum_{i,j,k=1}^{3} \epsilon_{ijk}\hat{e_i}A_j B_k = \epsilon_{\lambda\mu\nu} \hat{e_\lambda} A_\mu B_\nu [/tex]
As an exercise i have to simplify [tex](\vec{A}\times\vec{B})^2[/tex].
Can anybody help me? I don't know what to do with [tex](\epsilon_{\lambda\mu\nu} \hat{e_\lambda} A_\mu B_\nu)^2[/tex].
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Most tensorial calculations I see leave out the basis vector. You can restore it if you wish.
[tex]\vec{A}\times\vec{B}= \epsilon_{\lambda\mu\nu} A_\mu B_\nu [/tex]
is a vector (with, in my notation, one "free" index and two "dummy" indices), as you indicate.

[tex](\vec{A}\times\vec{B})^2[/tex] is a scalar.
In vector notation, this is [tex](\vec{A}\times\vec{B})\cdot(\vec{A}\times\vec{B})[/tex]. In tensorial notation, you introduce new dummy indices for each factor, then contract [via the metric, which I suppress for simplicity]:
[tex](\vec{A}\times\vec{B})^2= \epsilon_{\lambda\mu\nu} A_\mu B_\nu \epsilon_{\lambda\rho\sigma} A_\rho B_\sigma[/tex]. You can rewrite this is as [tex]\epsilon_{\lambda\mu\nu} \epsilon_{\lambda\rho\sigma} A_\mu B_\nu A_\rho B_\sigma[/tex].

Now, you have to use an identity to express [tex]\epsilon_{\lambda\mu\nu} \epsilon_{\lambda\rho\sigma}[/tex] in terms of [tex]\delta_{\mu\rho}[/tex], which I assume you must have been introduced to.

That should get you started.

robphy said:
Most tensorial calculations I see leave out the basis vector. You can restore it if you wish.
[tex]\vec{A}\times\vec{B}= \epsilon_{\lambda\mu\nu} A_\mu B_\nu [/tex]

This is bad notation: either write a vector equation (as Yegor has), or write a component equation (like [itex]\left( \vec{A}\times\vec{B} \right)_\lambda = \epsilon_{\lambda\mu\nu} A_\mu B_\nu[/itex], or [itex]\vec{C} = \vec{A}\times\vec{B}[/itex] and [itex]C_\lambda = \epsilon_{\lambda\mu\nu} A_\mu B_\nu [/itex], but never set a vector equal to a number, or use both standard vector notation and Penrose's "abstract index notation" in the same equation.

Regards,
George

I agree about the missing lambda index. I would have done (and normally do) as you said. In fact, I would have used upper and lower indices... and use an explicit metric. However, I didn't want to clutter the discussion with introducing too much of my own symbols. (I think of a single free index like an arrowhead.)

I don't think I ever set a vector equal to a number... unless you are interpreting the greek-indexed quantities as numbers---I am thinking of them as "slots" (in my notation).

Maybe when intended for a beginner, it would have been best to be fully consistent with notation... even if I had to explain all of the notation. I was merely trying to get the following idea across: use a new set of dummy indices and use the epsilon-delta identity.

In any case, point taken. Thanks.

Thank you Robphy for the hint.
This is what i got.
[tex]\epsilon_{\lambda\mu\nu} \epsilon_{\lambda\rho\sigma} =\delta_{\mu\rho}\delta_{\nu\sigma}-\delta_{\mu\sigma}\delta_{\nu\rho} [/tex]
then
[tex](\delta_{\mu\rho}\delta_{\nu\sigma}-\delta_{\mu\sigma}\delta_{\nu\rho}) A_\mu B_\nu A_\rho B_\sigma=\delta_{\mu\rho}\delta_{\nu\sigma}A_\mu B_\nu A_\rho B_\sigma-\delta_{\mu\sigma}\delta_{\nu\rho}A_\mu B_\nu A_\rho B_\sigma=(A_\mu)^2 (B_\nu )^2-(A_\mu B_\mu)(A_\nu B_\nu)[/tex]
Tell me please, is it OK?
In fact i wasn't introduced to anything about tensors. I just read book (Mechanics) by myself and there is an interesting appendix about it. Thus this [tex]\epsilon_{\lambda\mu\nu} \epsilon_{\lambda\rho\sigma} =\delta_{\mu\rho}\delta_{\nu\sigma}-\delta_{\mu\sigma}\delta_{\nu\rho} [/tex] expression i understand very intuitively. I see that it is true, but if someone could show or give me an idea how it is derived precisely i'd be very grateful

Last edited:
Yes, that's correct... up to possible notational convention preferences.
You might recognize the so-called Lagrange identity:
[tex]|\vec A \times \vec B|^2+|\vec A \cdot \vec B|^2 = |\vec A|^2 |\vec B|^2[/tex].

I have never found a satisfactory derivation of the epsilon-delta identities.
However, here is a useful mnemonic involving the determinant (which you can verify)
[tex]\epsilon_{\lambda\mu\nu} \epsilon_{\lambda\rho\sigma} =
\delta_{\mu\rho}\delta_{\nu\sigma}-\delta_{\mu\sigma}\delta_{\nu\rho}
=\left|\begin{array}{cc}
\delta_{\mu\rho} & \delta_{\mu\sigma} \\
\delta_{\nu\rho} & \delta_{\nu\sigma}
\end{array}\right|
[/tex]
This can be generalized.

By the way, congratulations on teaching this to yourself. You might try learning to use these methods to derive various identities in vector algebra (like the BAC-CAB identity and the Jacobi identity) and vector calculus (which would be useful in, say, electrodynamics).

You might recognize the so-called Lagrange identity:
[tex]|\vec A \times \vec B|^2+|\vec A \cdot \vec B|^2 = |\vec A|^2 |\vec B|^2[/tex]
Wheee! It's really very beautiful! I haven't noticed it before (but know this identity).
Thank you very much for your advices. It really looks like it worth having a practise in such things.

Oh. i just understood that [tex](A_\mu)^2 (B_\nu )^2-(A_\mu B_\mu)(A_\nu B_\nu)=(A_\mu)^2 (B_\mu )^2-(A_\mu B_\mu)^2[/tex] !

1. What is the Levi-Civita tensor and what is its purpose?

The Levi-Civita tensor, also known as the permutation tensor, is a mathematical object that represents the sign of a permutation of indices. It is commonly used in vector calculus and differential geometry to simplify calculations involving vector and tensor operations.

2. How is the Levi-Civita tensor defined?

The Levi-Civita tensor is defined as a completely antisymmetric tensor of rank n, where each component takes on the value of either 1, -1, or 0, depending on the order of the indices. It can be represented using the Kronecker delta and the alternating symbol.

3. What are some common operations involving the Levi-Civita tensor?

The Levi-Civita tensor can be used to calculate the cross product of two vectors, as well as the curl and divergence of a vector field. It is also commonly used in the formulation of Maxwell's equations in electromagnetism.

4. How is the Levi-Civita tensor related to determinants and volumes?

The determinant of a matrix can be expressed in terms of the Levi-Civita tensor, where the determinant is equal to the contraction of the tensor with the corresponding matrix. Additionally, the Levi-Civita tensor can be used to calculate the volume of a parallelepiped spanned by a set of vectors.

5. What are some applications of the Levi-Civita tensor in physics and engineering?

The Levi-Civita tensor has many applications in physics and engineering, such as in fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and general relativity. It is also used in the study of elasticity, quantum mechanics, and quantum field theory.