Solve Vibrating String Differential Equation with d'Alembert's Method

In summary, the function g(x) needs to be "odd-extended" to the interval [-1,0] before it can be integrated to yield the correct answer for u(x,t). The length of the string has nothing to do with the answer.
stunner5000pt
Of the Partial Kind :smile:
Using d'Alemberts soltuion for the vibrating string in one dimension

Find u(1/2,3/2), when l-=1, c=1, f(x) = 0, g(x) = x(1-x)
Now i tried simply substituting this into the solution that is (since f(x)=0)
[tex] u(x,t) = \frac{1}{2} \int_{x-t}^{x+t} g(x) dx [/tex]
but it yields the wrong answer.
Does the length of the string have anything to do with the answer?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
stunner5000pt said:
Of the Partial Kind :smile:
Using d'Alemberts soltuion for the vibrating string in one dimension

Find u(1/2,3/2), when l-=1, c=1, f(x) = 0, g(x) = x(1-x)
Now i tried simply substituting this into the solution that is (since f(x)=0)
[tex] u(x,t) = \frac{1}{2} \int_{x-t}^{x+t} g(x) dx [/tex]
but it yields the wrong answer.
Does the length of the string have anything to do with the answer?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Stunner, to use D'Alembert's forumua, you need to remember to use the "odd extensions" of both f(x) and g(x). Now, I know that's not pretty but that's just how it is. Remember when I said that [itex]Sin[\pi x][/itex] was already an odd-extension and so we didn't have to do anything about it? That's not the case with g(x)=x(1-x) over the interval you're integrating from. Look at the first plot. That's g(x) un-extended. We wish to make an odd periodic function of g(x) over the interval of integration. In your case that's 1/2-3/2 to 1/2+3/2 or the interval [-1,2]. So, first thing is to "odd-extend" what the function looks like in [0,1] to the interval [-1,0]. Well, that's the second plot and the equation for it is:

[tex]g_1[x]=x(1+x)[/tex]

The equation for the interval [0,1] is just g(x):

[tex]g_2(x)=x(1-x)[/tex]

Now I wish to do that again for the interval [1,2], that is an odd extension of g(x) which would just be flipping it over into the interval [1,2]. The equation for that one would be:

[tex]g_3(x)=-(x-1)+(x-1)^2[/tex]

The third plot is all three. So:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
u(1/2,3/2) &=\frac{1}{2}
\int_{-1}^{2}\tilde{g_0}(\tau)d\tau \\ &=
\frac{1}{2}\left(\int_{-1}^0 g_1(\tau)d\tau+\int_0^1 g_2(\tau)d\tau+\int_1^2 g_3(\tau)\tau \right)
\end{align}
[/tex]

I get -1/12. Is that what you get?

Edit: Stunner, I initially made a typo on g3 but corrected it above.

Edit2: Forgot the 1/2 in front of the integral sign. Suppose that's -1/12 now. Sorry.

Attachments

• g1.JPG
    g1.JPG
    4.8 KB · Views: 358
  • g2.JPG
    g2.JPG
    4.7 KB · Views: 393
  • gtotal.JPG
    gtotal.JPG
    5.2 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:
it is quite clear that we are not being taught (or the material's presentation) correctly. I did not know how to extend the functions. I understand now... thank you very much!

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that involve an unknown function and its derivatives. They are used to model various physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is the purpose of solving differential equations?

The main purpose of solving differential equations is to find the function that satisfies the given equation and its initial or boundary conditions. This allows us to make predictions and understand the behavior of the system being modeled.

3. What are the different types of differential equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and partial differential equations (PDEs). ODEs involve a single independent variable, while PDEs involve multiple independent variables.

4. What are some common methods for solving differential equations?

Some common methods for solving differential equations include separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. Additionally, numerical methods such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods can be used to approximate solutions.

5. How are differential equations used in real-world applications?

Differential equations are used in a wide range of real-world applications, such as predicting the motion of objects in physics, modeling population growth in biology, and analyzing electrical circuits in engineering. They are also used in economics and finance to model stock prices and interest rates.