No idea where to start

In summary: same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? same? yea same? same? same? same
stunner5000pt
define [tex] L = a \frac{\partial^2u}{\partial t^2} + B \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x \partial t} + C \frac{\partial^2u}{\partial x^2} = 0 [/tex]

Show that if L is hyperbolic and A is not zero, the transofrmation to moving coordinates
[tex] x' = x- \frac{B}{2A} t [/tex]
[tex] t' =t [/tex]
takes L into a mutliple of the wave operator

Now the moving coordiantes looks very much like the galilean transforamtions i did in a relaitivity class a while ago.
Hyperbolic means the B^2 - 4AC > 0. But what does the transformation to moving coordiantes mean?
Also the solution to the second order PDE was solved by using
[tex] \xi = \alpha x + \beta t[/tex] and
[tex] \eta = \delta x + \gamma t [/tex]

Please give me a hint on how to connect the two together... i am quite lost!

Physics news on Phys.org
Change variables with the chain rule so that
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial}{\partial x'}[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}=-\frac{B}{2A} \ \frac{\partial}{\partial x'}+\frac{\partial}{\partial t'}[/tex]
express L in terms of the new variables and show that
[tex]k L=v\frac{{\partial}^2u}{\partial x'^2}-w\frac{{\partial}^2u}{\partial t'^2}[/tex]
where v,w>0
k some constant

am i supposed to use the transformations that i listed in post 1?

and use them to find something like [tex] \frac{\partial \xi}{\partial t} = \frac{-B}{2A} \frac{\partial \eta}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial \eta}{\partial t'} [/tex]

is this in the right direction?

can anyone help? Please?

what class is this for?

this is for my Partial Differential Equations class...

i just said that it reminds me of that physics formula

anyway how would i relate the transformation coordinates to the equation L itself?

stunner5000pt said:
this is for my Partial Differential Equations class...

i just said that it reminds me of that physics formula

anyway how would i relate the transformation coordinates to the equation L itself?

Use the relations between old and new partials I gave above like so
[tex] L = a \frac{\partial^2u}{\partial t^2} + B \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x \partial t} + C \frac{\partial^2u}{\partial x^2} = 0 [/tex]

and
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}=-\frac{B}{2A} \ \frac{\partial}{\partial x'}+\frac{\partial}{\partial t'}[/tex]
so
[tex] L = a\left(-\frac{B}{2A} \ \frac{\partial}{\partial x'}+\frac{\partial}{\partial t'}\right)^2 u+ B\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial x'}\right) \left(-\frac{B}{2A} \ \frac{\partial}{\partial x'}+\frac{\partial}{\partial t'}\right)u+ C \left(\frac{\partial}{\partial x'}\right)^2 u = 0 [/tex]

one thing lurf, you write [tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial t'} [/tex]... what is the variable/function that is being differentiated? and also is it tru that
[tex] (\frac{\partial}{\partial x'})^2 = \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} [/tex]
how are you figuring out this for t and t' likewise?

Last edited:
stunner5000pt said:
one thing lurf, you write [tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial t'} [/tex]... what is the variable/function that is being differentiated? and also is it tru that
[tex] (\frac{\partial}{\partial x'})^2 = \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} [/tex]
how are you figuring out this for t and t' likewise?
by the chain rule
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial x'}{\partial x} \ \frac{\partial}{\partial x'}+\frac{\partial t'}{\partial x} \ \frac{\partial}{\partial t'}=\frac{\partial}{\partial x'}[/tex]
also
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}=\frac{\partial x'}{\partial t} \ \frac{\partial}{\partial x'}+\frac{\partial t'}{\partial t} \ \frac{\partial}{\partial t'}=-\frac{B}{2A} \ \frac{\partial}{\partial x'}+\frac{\partial}{\partial t'}[/tex]
Thus the relations of the partial derivatives are easily found by using the chain rule and partial derivatives of the relations of the variables you gave in the first post

The derivatives act on functions they are right multiplied by in this case u and depending on your intermediate steps partial derivatives of u
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \ u=\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}[/tex]
[tex]\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\right)u=\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}[/tex]
[tex]\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\right)\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial^2 u}{{\partial x}^2}+\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t\partial x}[/tex]
Writing derivatives this way is sometimes convient, but no new concept is in use.
as far as the u it depents how technical one wants to get I am considering u as a variable so that u can be determined given x and t or x' and t' (also other variables or combinations) thus there are functions relating the variables
u=f(x,t)
u=g(x',t')
u=f(x'+(B/(2A))t',t')
u=g(x+(-B/(2A))t,t)
so the actual function form of u depents which variables are in use,
one could use different letters if confusion were likely.
in your example
[tex]\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial x'}\right)^2u=\frac{\partial^2 u}{{\partial x'}^2}=\frac{\partial^2 u}{{\partial x}^2}[/tex]
since x and x' partials of u are equal

Nice. Actually I'd like to see a real . . . well nevermind. I had trouble with this too Stunner. May I add some points which may help:

This approach is best viewed in terms of "operators". That is what Lurflurf is doing, I believe. When you see an expression like:

[tex] \left(\frac{\partial}{\partial t'}-\frac{b}{2a}\frac{\partial}{\partial x'}\right)^2[/tex]

That really means "operate on the operator" and not multiply or raise to a power, that is:

[tex] \left(\frac{\partial}{\partial t'}-\frac{b}{2a}\frac{\partial}{\partial x'}\right)^2=\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial t'}-\frac{b}{2a}\frac{\partial}{\partial x'}\right)\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial t'}-\frac{b}{2a}\frac{\partial}{\partial x'}\right)[/tex]

That's not multiplying ok, but rather one operator "operating" on another operator. Now, its similar to the distributive law with algebraic equations but instead of adding and multiplying, we "operate". Now, look at the RHS. It has two operators, each themselves having two operators. Now, break them apart and remember these are "operators" ok:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial t'}-\frac{b}{2a}\frac{\partial}{\partial x'}\right)\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial t'}-\frac{b}{2a}\frac{\partial}{\partial x'}\right) &=
\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial t'}-\frac{b}{2a}\frac{\partial}{\partial x'}\right)\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial t'}\right) \\ &-
\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial t'}-\frac{b}{2a}\frac{\partial}{\partial x'}\right)
\left(\frac{b}{2a}\frac{\partial}{\partial x'}\right)
\end{align}
[/tex]

Ok, now let's do the first one:

[tex]
\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial t'}-\frac{b}{2a}\frac{\partial}{\partial x'}\right)\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial t'}\right)=\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial t^{'2}}-\frac{b}{2a}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x'\partial t'}
[/tex]

Now you do the second one. :smile:

Edit: Oh yea, same dif for the other ones. Can you post the mixed-partial one? Remember, its just one operator operating on another.

Last edited:
so would the otehr temr look like this:

[tex] \frac{-b}{2A} \frac{\partial x}{\partial x' \partial t'} + \frac{b^2}{4A^2} \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x'^2} [/tex]

ok now taht we got that settled once i expand that L that was formed by all of this, am i supposed to find equalities such that the the parritals with the x' and t' go away? I won't type this all out here yet but is this the right way to go from there?

so far thank you for the help... it had me quite perplexed before.

ALso can you have a look at these problems, please? I would greatly appreciate it ! https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=92515

Good for you Stunner! And I don't wish to take away from Lurflurf's input as I was unable to solve this until he posted his results.

For the mixed partial, wouldn't that just be:

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\right)=
\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial t'}-\frac{b}{2a}\frac{\partial}{\partial x'}\right)[/tex]

But:

so:

[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial t'}-\frac{b}{2a}\frac{\partial}{\partial x'}\right)=
\frac{\partial}{\partial x'}\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial t'}-\frac{b}{2a}\frac{\partial}{\partial x'}\right)
[/tex]

Can you finish this one? Remember:

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x'}[/tex]

is "operating" on the quantity in paranthesis (which is also an operator).

Make all the substitutions in the original equation and get one in terms of the prime variables. The mixed-partials drop out if your algebra is correct. :smile:

Last edited:
Hey Stunner, you know something, I think Lurflurf has been sleeping all this time. I think he may be in Europe. Anyway, I hope when he wakes up and looks at this thread, everything I've said will meet with his requirements (other people too you know). If not, well, I guess I'll be corrected then. :confused:

stunner5000pt said:
so would the otehr temr look like this:

[tex] \frac{-b}{2A} \frac{\partial x}{\partial x' \partial t'} + \frac{b^2}{4A^2} \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x'^2} [/tex]

ok now taht we got that settled once i expand that L that was formed by all of this, am i supposed to find equalities such that the the parritals with the x' and t' go away? I won't type this all out here yet but is this the right way to go from there?

so far thank you for the help... it had me quite perplexed before.

ALso can you have a look at these problems, please? I would greatly appreciate it ! https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=92515

The partials will not go away, but the mixed partials will.
here is the outline
1)Use the chain rule to write the derivatives in terms of the new variables x' and y'
2)Use the derivative relations to write L in terms of the new variables x' and y'
3)use the facts B^2 - 4AC > 0 and A is not zero to show that L is a multiple of the wave operator that is
[tex]L=w{\square}^2u=w\left[{\nabla}^2-v^2\frac{\partial^2}{{\partial t'}^2}\right]u=w\left[\frac{\partial^2}{{\partial x'}^2}-v^2\frac{\partial^2}{{\partial t'}^2}\right]u=w\left[\frac{\partial^2 u}{{\partial x'}^2}-v^2\frac{\partial^2 u}{{\partial t'}^2}\right][/tex]
for some real numbers w and v that depend on A,B,C

1. What does "no idea where to start" mean?

"No idea where to start" means that someone is feeling overwhelmed or confused about how to begin a task or project. It suggests a lack of direction or knowledge about the necessary steps to take.

2. How can I overcome feeling like I have no idea where to start?

One way to overcome this feeling is to break the task or project down into smaller, manageable chunks. Make a list of the specific tasks or steps that need to be completed and prioritize them. This can help create a clearer path and give you a starting point.

3. Is it normal to feel like I have no idea where to start?

Yes, it is completely normal to feel overwhelmed or unsure when starting a new task or project. It can be helpful to remember that everyone experiences this feeling at some point and it is a natural part of the learning process.

4. How can I find resources to help me when I have no idea where to start?

There are many resources available to help with starting a project. You can try doing research online, asking for advice from colleagues or experts in the field, or seeking out a mentor to guide you. You can also break down your project into smaller tasks and look for resources specific to each task.

5. What should I do if I still have no idea where to start after trying different strategies?

If you have tried different strategies and still feel lost, it may be helpful to take a step back and re-evaluate the project. Ask yourself if the goal is clear and if you have all the necessary information and resources. It may also be beneficial to seek guidance from someone who has experience in the subject area or task at hand.