11 dimensions proposed by string theory

In summary: The dimensions have not been specifically identified, but they are thought to exist and could be analyzed in more detail through new high-energy colliders.
disturbed1
I am interested in the 11 dimensions proposed by string theory. What defines these dimensions and have they been identified.

Physics news on Phys.org
i've been able to somewhat grasp the 4th spatial dimension,

the 5th is out of my mind's capability.

you're talking about 11?

Don't go there sista.

maybe if one was to look at another of the dimensions the first four would be clearer. Perhaps they are grouped with similar properties like the first four dimensions. anyway, interesting stuff.

Hi

The extra-dimensions idea comes from mathematical calculations done in string theory, which is one of the candidates for a theory of quantum gravity. For a rather good introductory tutorial, go to this site:

http://www.sukidog.com/jpierre/strings/

String theory is recently criticized for not producing any measurable results, but there is still hope. Perhaps the new high energy colliders scheduled to come on-line in the near future will give us better information, or perhaps some observations in deep field astrophysics will prove convincing.

Hope this helps.

Richard

Lawrence Krauss's new book Hiding in the Mirror is an excellent discussion of the idea of more dimensions and "other" dimensions in popular culture, in the arts, and especially in physics. He carefully explains how physicists came to posit extra dimensions and why, considering just the Standard Model, they have very positive things to contribute. It is connected to supersymmetry, which does nice things for unifying the three quantum forces (electromagnetism, strong and weak), and which requires extra dimension to work smoothly. This is all (semi) independent of string physics, and there is a lot of hope that the new collider LHC which is building at CERN, will show some evidence.

elegant?

I would carefully like to suggest https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0375708111/?tag=pfamazon01-20. Carefully because I have not actually finished the book but I believe it says something about extra dimensions.

The part I read was very nice though.

I am not really sure what you mean with 'have they been identified'. I believe one should be somewhere in this ----------> direction :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to 11 dimensions proposed by string theory

1. What are the 11 dimensions proposed by string theory?

The 11 dimensions proposed by string theory are the three dimensions of space (length, width, and height), one dimension of time, and seven additional dimensions that are curled up and invisible to us in our everyday experience.

2. How do these 11 dimensions differ from the 4 dimensions we experience?

The three dimensions of space we experience in our everyday lives are extended in a linear fashion, while the additional seven dimensions proposed by string theory are curled up and compacted, making them invisible to us. Additionally, the concept of time as the fourth dimension is also different in string theory, where it is considered to be a dimension of space-time.

3. Why are there 11 dimensions proposed by string theory?

String theory proposes the existence of 11 dimensions in order to reconcile the discrepancies between general relativity and quantum mechanics. These additional dimensions allow for the unification of these two theories and provide a more complete understanding of the universe.

4. Can we visualize or experience these 11 dimensions?

No, we cannot visualize or experience these 11 dimensions in our everyday lives. The additional dimensions proposed by string theory are believed to be at a microscopic level and are curled up and compacted, making them invisible to us.

5. How do these 11 dimensions affect our understanding of the universe?

The existence of these 11 dimensions proposed by string theory fundamentally changes our understanding of the universe by providing a unified theory that can explain the behavior of both large-scale objects (governed by general relativity) and subatomic particles (governed by quantum mechanics). It also allows for the possibility of multiple universes existing within these dimensions.