2 Parts of Thermodynamic Homework, help Please

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions related to an ideal gas undergoing a reversible adiabatic expansion. The first question asks to show a relation involving temperature and pressure, while the second question asks to show a relation involving temperature and volume. The specific heat ratio, Gamma, is also mentioned in both questions. Through manipulating equations and expressing volume in terms of pressure, the connections between the different variables are shown. This information is helpful for an upcoming test.
ChronicQuantumAddict
Ok, the first question is this:

It asks me to show that the following relation holds for a reversibe adiabatic expansion of an ideal gas:

T/P ^(1 - (1/Gamma)) = constant​

Where Gamma = the ratio of: C_p/C_v the specific heats with constant pressure and volume, respectively.

I know that PV ^Gamma = constant and that TV ^(Gamma - 1) = constant.
i just don't see the connection.

Second question:

An ideal gas undergoes an adiabatic reversible expansion from an initial state (T1, v1) to a final state (T2,v2).

Show:
ln (T_2/T_1) = (Gamma - 1) ln (v_1/v_2)​
again where Gamma = the ration of specific heats.

Please help, thanks :eek:

Physics news on Phys.org
ChronicQuantumAddict said:
Ok, the first question is this:

It asks me to show that the following relation holds for a reversibe adiabatic expansion of an ideal gas:

T/P ^(1 - (1/Gamma)) = constant​

Where Gamma = the ratio of: C_p/C_v the specific heats with constant pressure and volume, respectively.

I know that PV ^Gamma = constant and that TV ^(Gamma - 1) = constant.
i just don't see the connection.
Express V in terms of P in the last equation:

[tex]V = kP^{-\frac{1}{\gamma}}[/tex]

Second question:

An ideal gas undergoes an adiabatic reversible expansion from an initial state (T1, v1) to a final state (T2,v2).

Show:
ln (T_2/T_1) = (Gamma - 1) ln (v_1/v_2)​
again where Gamma = the ration of specific heats.
This can be written:

[tex]\frac{T_2}{T_1} = (\frac{V_1}{V_2})^{\gamma -1}[/tex]

[tex]T_2V_2^{\gamma -1} = T_1V_1^{\gamma -1} [/tex]

AM

thanks

thank u, this is really helping me for the test i have on wed next week, appreciated. glad i found this site :biggrin:

Related to 2 Parts of Thermodynamic Homework, help Please

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of science that deals with the study of energy and its transformations, particularly in relation to heat and work.

2. What are the two parts of thermodynamic homework?

The two parts of thermodynamic homework typically involve solving equations and problems related to the first and second laws of thermodynamics.

3. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

4. What is the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that in any energy conversion, some energy will always be lost as heat and cannot be converted back to its original form.

5. Why is thermodynamics important?

Thermodynamics is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of energy in various systems, such as engines, power plants, and chemical reactions. This knowledge is crucial in many industries, including engineering, physics, and chemistry.