2 significant spot groups currently visible

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Groups
In summary: This is a visual view, non-telescope view as seen on spaceweather.com, sdac etc sites where E and W (and maybe N and S - not sure) are invertedIn summary, there are currently two significant spot groups visible traversing the face of the solar disk. The centre-left string is active region 2671 and the region near the right edge ( eastern limb) is active region 2672. AR2672 will continue to rotate across the disk across the next 2 weeks. Both groups have a good chance for C-class flares.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
hi gang

there are currently 2 significant spot groups visible traversing the face of the solar disk

The centre-left string is active region 2671 and the region near the right edge ( eastern limb) is
active region 2672. AR2672 will continue to rotate across the disk across the next 2 weeks.

800mm, f9, 200th sec, ISO200 and solar filter

IMG_0933sm.gif

Likes Stavros Kiri and FactChecker
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Cool picture.
Both groups have a good chance for C-class flares.

Last edited:
Likes davenn
Was this picture taken morning hours? (to make sure I understand the orientation properly) Or pm hours and reverse image?

Stavros Kiri said:
Was this picture taken morning hours? (to make sure I understand the orientation properly) Or pm hours and reverse image?

West limb left side, east limb right side, not 100% certain if north pole is up or down ... I suspect it's up

this is visual view, non-telescope view as seen on spaceweather.com, sdac etc sites where E and W (and maybe N and S - not sure) are inverted
Tho I'm lead to believe that N and S poles are correct ( I haven't figured out how they invert E and W without doing the same to N and S poles ??)D

Last edited:
Likes Stavros Kiri
Ok thanks Dave, that helps.
If it's visual view it must have been taken am hours, because that's how I see the sun in the morning. (In the afternoon and forth, if we do the "rotation" over our head, it turns upside down. [BTW, your being in the South Hemisphere I don't think it matters other than having the Sun to your left (instead of right) when you look East, this time of the year ... (simple Geometry).] )

I have a photo taken near the end of the eclipse Monday 8-21-2017 from Oregon. The photo above looks to be near midday. It is rotated 180 degrees. Both the E/W and N/S are swapped. This is the view as would be seen in an astronomical telescope. If you add a diagonal you get the N/S corrected but the E/W is still reversed. I will add a photo if I can figure out how.

Likes Stavros Kiri
Len44 said:
This is the view as would be seen in an astronomical telescope.
It depends on the time.
Len44 said:
I will add a photo if I can figure out how.
Please do! You have to create media first, I think.

Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 9.44.29 PM.png
The camera was tilted down on left a little to show more of the width of the sun. 11:33:01 PDT Aug 21, 2017. 2286mm (90 inches), f15, 100th sec, ISO 200 solar filter. Even though this is a 6" refractor it works just like a standard camera lens.

Len44 said:
View attachment 209698 The camera was tilted down on left a little to show more of the width of the sun. 11:33:01 PDT Aug 21, 2017. 2286mm (90 inches), f15, 100th sec, ISO 200 solar filter. Even though this is a 6" refractor it works just like a standard camera lens.
That's what I see pm hours. Is your image inverted for some reason?
Len44 said:
Even though this is a 6" refractor it works just like a standard camera lens.
?

I am in the northern hemisphere at about 44.5 degrees north latitude. On checking an image that I took with the camera level I would say that the photo that I posted is rotated clockwise approximately 46 degrees. Otherwise it is exactly as was seen with the naked eye.

Len44 said:
I am in the northern hemisphere at about 44.5 degrees north latitude. On checking an image that I took with the camera level I would say that the photo that I posted is rotated clockwise approximately 46 degrees. Otherwise it is exactly as was seen with the naked eye.
Is the small spot to the left, next to the moon, group region 2672? If yes (which I assume) then the orientation for am hours is that of a telescope view (unless your instruments are not upright; 46 degrees would still project similar view). In other words your image is almost inverted; I don't know why it is or how you managed it.
See also
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/solar-activity-and-space-weather-update-thread.923468/
(posts #1, #2)

davenn's looks like am hours, visual view. That's what I also saw am hours back then (upright visual view image) ... etc.
[That's why I originally asked the 'hours' question.]

Related to 2 significant spot groups currently visible

1. What are "2 significant spot groups currently visible?"

"2 significant spot groups currently visible" refers to two large, dark areas on the surface of the sun that are visible to the naked eye or through a telescope. These spots are caused by magnetic activity and are usually associated with solar flares and other solar events.

2. How can we see these spot groups?

These spot groups are visible because they are cooler than the surrounding areas on the sun's surface, making them appear darker. They can be seen using special solar filters on telescopes or by projecting an image of the sun onto a white surface using a pinhole camera.

3. How often do these spot groups appear on the sun?

Spot groups on the sun are constantly changing and evolving, so it is difficult to predict exactly how often they will appear. However, on average, there are about 40-50 spot groups visible on the sun at any given time.

4. Are these spot groups dangerous?

While these spot groups can be associated with solar flares and other solar events, they are not inherently dangerous. However, solar events can cause disruptions to satellite and radio communications on Earth, so it is important for scientists to monitor and study these spot groups.

5. What can we learn from studying these spot groups?

By studying these spot groups, scientists can gain a better understanding of the sun's magnetic activity and how it affects space weather. This can help us predict and prepare for solar events that may impact Earth, as well as improve our understanding of the sun's role in the larger solar system and universe.