3D model I made of the Three Mile Island control room

In summary, the model was made using Blender 2.8 and references images found on google search. The model includes a cardboard tag which, IIRC, obscured one of the two Emergency Core Cooling System, ECCS, warning lights.
ElliotSmith
TL;DR Summary
This is a 3D computer model I made using Blender 2.8 of the control room at the three mile island NPP.
This took roughly two months to complete from start to finish.

Link to imgur album so that the full-size photos can be viewed.

Rendered in 4K.

Last edited:
Likes weirdoguy
Engineering news on Phys.org
Cool. What was your source for the detailed into needed to make the model?

anorlunda said:
Cool. What was your source for the detailed into needed to make the model?

I referenced images I got from google image search.

• Wow
Likes JBA and anorlunda
ElliotSmith said:
Summary:: This is a 3D computer model I made using Blender 2.8 of the control room at the three mile island NPP.
Ummmm ... I don't see any 3D imaging, just a semi-panoramic, different angle views
like what would be in a normal photo
Do you understand what 3D imaging is ?

nice work :smile: , but 3D? I don't think so

davenn said:
Ummmm ... I don't see any 3D imaging, just a semi-panoramic, different angle views
like what would be in a normal photo
Do you understand what 3D imaging is ?

nice work :smile: , but 3D? I don't think so
The 3D model is at its core mathematically defined. What we're seeing here are 2D renderings generated in accordance with the 3D definition. For @ElliotSmith to produce an acceptably smooth video tour of the 3D space would require rendering of 30 or more of the 2D images for every second of video.

Did you include the cardboard tag which, IIRC, was hanging on a wall panel obscuring one of the two Emergency Core Cooling System, ECCS, warning lights saying the ECCS was disabled as the valves were closed?

Report Of The President's Commission On The Accident At Three Mile Island is an interesting read and is very critical of the control room design.

There are many other examples mentioned in our report that indicate the lack of attention to the human factor in nuclear safety. We note only one more (a fourth) example. The control room, through which the operation of the TMI-2 plant is carried out, is lacking in many ways. The control panel is huge, with hundreds of alarms, and there are some key indicators placed in locations where the operators cannot see them. There is little evidence of the impact of modern information technology within the control room. In spite of this, this control room might be adequate for the normal operation of nuclear power plants.

However, it is seriously deficient under accident conditions. During the first few minutes of the accident, more than 100 alarms went off, and there was no system for suppressing the unimportant signals so that operators could concentrate on the significant alarms. Information was not presented in a clear and sufficiently understandable form; for example, although the pressure and temperature within the reactor coolant system were shown, there was no direct indication that the combination of pressure and temperature meant that the cooling water was turning into steam. Overall, little attention had been paid to the interaction between human beings and machines under the rapidly changing and confusing circumstances of an accident. Perhaps these design failures were due to a concentration on the large-break accidents -- which do not allow time for significant operator action -- and the design ignored the needs of operators during a slowly developing small-break (TMI-type) accident. While some of us may favor a complete modernization of control rooms, we are all agreed that a relatively few and not very expensive improvements in the control room could have significantly facilitated the management of the accident.

In conclusion, while the major factor that turned this incident into a serious accident was inappropriate operator action, many factors contributed to the action of the operators, such as deficiencies in their training, lack of clarity in their operating procedures, failure of organizations to learn the proper lessons from previous incidents, and deficiencies in the design of the control room.

Frodo said:
Did you include the cardboard tag which, IIRC, was hanging on a wall panel obscuring one of the two Emergency Core Cooling System, ECCS, warning lights saying the ECCS was disabled as the valves were closed?

Report Of The President's Commission On The Accident At Three Mile Island is an interesting read and is very critical of the control room design.

This is the control room to TMI unit 1, which has a very different layout and appearance than TMI unit 2,

Related to 3D model I made of the Three Mile Island control room

1. What is the purpose of creating a 3D model of the Three Mile Island control room?

The purpose of creating a 3D model of the Three Mile Island control room is to provide a visual representation of the control room and its components. This allows for a better understanding of the layout and functionality of the control room, which can be useful for training and educational purposes.

2. How accurate is the 3D model compared to the actual control room?

The 3D model is created using precise measurements and reference materials, making it as accurate as possible. However, it may not be an exact replica of the actual control room due to limitations in technology and available information.

3. What software was used to create the 3D model?

The 3D model was created using specialized computer-aided design (CAD) software, which allows for precise measurements and detailed rendering of the control room components.

4. Can the 3D model be used for simulations?

Yes, the 3D model can be used for simulations to test different scenarios and train individuals on how to operate the control room in case of an emergency. This can help improve safety and preparedness in real-life situations.

5. Is the 3D model available for public viewing?

The 3D model may be available for public viewing, depending on the purpose for which it was created. It may be used for educational purposes or displayed in museums or exhibitions to showcase the control room and its significance in history.