A bit of trouble with Thevenin equivalence with dependent sources

In summary, when working through problems involving a circuit with a Thevenin equivalence circuit and dependent sources, the technique is to apply either an independent voltage or independent current source between the two points. This is equivalent to short circuiting or open circuiting the two points and allows for the determination of the Norton current or Thevenin voltage. The choice of source is based on what makes the calculations easier and does not have a significant impact on the outcome.
byte
This really isn't one specific problem per se as it is more of a conceptual issue, so I apologize for breaking away from the given format.

I've worked through three problems involving a circuit where a thevenin equivalence circuit is required between two points, and all sources are dependent.

The technique seems to be to apply either an independent voltage or independent current source between the two points, in order to consider the dependent source. My reasoning behind this technique is that it is essentially the same as when I'd short circuit or open circuit between the two points, as I would do normally if I had purely independent sources. With independent sources, I'm applying either an independent voltage source of 0V (to short circuit and find I_SC, the current of the short circuit) or an independent current source of 0A (to open circuit and find V_0C, the voltage of the open circuit).

I'm pretty sure my reasoning above is correct, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

The trouble is coming from figuring out what type of source to apply in the first place. The three circuits I worked out previously have been such that:

1. For a dependent voltage source that relied on the voltage of a resistor, a 1V source was placed.
2. For a dependent voltage source that relied on the current through a resistor, a 1A source was placed.
3. For a dependent current source that relied on the voltage of a resistor, a current source was placed.

I'm trying to figure out the logic behind these choices. My guess would have to be that the source placed is placed in such a way to clarify the dependent source, but some examples that illustrate which source to place and when would be very illuminating.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
byte said:
This really isn't one specific problem per se as it is more of a conceptual issue, so I apologize for breaking away from the given format.

I've worked through three problems involving a circuit where a thevenin equivalence circuit is required between two points, and all sources are dependent.

The technique seems to be to apply either an independent voltage or independent current source between the two points, in order to consider the dependent source. My reasoning behind this technique is that it is essentially the same as when I'd short circuit or open circuit between the two points, as I would do normally if I had purely independent sources. With independent sources, I'm applying either an independent voltage source of 0V (to short circuit and find I_SC, the current of the short circuit) or an independent current source of 0A (to open circuit and find V_0C, the voltage of the open circuit).

I'm pretty sure my reasoning above is correct, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
You're looking at two different aspects of the problem. When you find the short-circuit current or the open-circuit voltage, you're determining the Norton current or Thevenin voltage. When you apply a source to the terminals, you do so to find the equivalent resistance when looking into the two terminals.

The trouble is coming from figuring out what type of source to apply in the first place. The three circuits I worked out previously have been such that:

1. For a dependent voltage source that relied on the voltage of a resistor, a 1V source was placed.
2. For a dependent voltage source that relied on the current through a resistor, a 1A source was placed.
3. For a dependent current source that relied on the voltage of a resistor, a current source was placed.

I'm trying to figure out the logic behind these choices. My guess would have to be that the source placed is placed in such a way to clarify the dependent source, but some examples that illustrate which source to place and when would be very illuminating.

Thanks.
It doesn't matter, in principle, what type of source you apply. The choice is just to make the calculations easier. In some instances, knowing the current flowing across the terminals is more useful in making calculations than fixing the voltage; in others, it's the opposite.

Related to A bit of trouble with Thevenin equivalence with dependent sources

1. What is Thevenin equivalence and why is it important in circuit analysis?

Thevenin equivalence is a method used to simplify complex circuits by replacing them with an equivalent circuit that contains only a voltage source and a resistor. This simplified circuit can be used to analyze the behavior of the original circuit. It is important because it allows for easier analysis and calculation of circuit parameters, making circuit design and troubleshooting more efficient.

2. What are dependent sources and how do they affect Thevenin equivalence?

Dependent sources are circuit elements that are controlled by or dependent on other circuit parameters. In Thevenin equivalence, dependent sources can complicate the process as they cannot be directly represented by a voltage source and a resistor. They must be accounted for in the simplified circuit through additional calculations or by using other equivalent circuit methods.

3. Can dependent sources be ignored in Thevenin equivalence?

No, dependent sources cannot be ignored in Thevenin equivalence. They must be taken into account in order to accurately represent the behavior of the original circuit. Ignoring them can lead to incorrect calculations and analysis of the circuit.

4. How do you handle dependent sources in Thevenin equivalence?

There are a few methods for handling dependent sources in Thevenin equivalence. One method is to use superposition, where the dependent source is deactivated and the Thevenin equivalent circuit is calculated. This is repeated for each dependent source, and the results are combined to get the final Thevenin equivalent circuit. Another method is to use Norton equivalence, which involves converting the dependent source to an equivalent current source and resistor, and then proceeding with the Thevenin equivalence calculation as normal.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using Thevenin equivalence with dependent sources?

One common mistake is forgetting to include dependent sources in the Thevenin equivalent circuit. Another mistake is incorrectly converting a dependent source to an equivalent voltage or current source. Additionally, it is important to keep track of the polarity or direction of dependent sources when applying Thevenin equivalence. It is also important to remember that Thevenin equivalence is only applicable for linear circuits, so it cannot be used for circuits with non-linear components such as diodes or transistors.