A friendly species of pine for southwest USA?

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Usa
In summary, the conversation is about finding a species of pine tree with soft, eastern white pine-like needles that can thrive in the southwest USA. It would also be ideal if the tree had smooth bark for climbing. The location in question is southern New Mexico, and the thread has been moved to a different forum for more responses.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary: Is there a species of pine tree whose dried needles are somewhat soft (like those of the Eastern White Pine) and will thrive in the southwest USA?

Is there a species of pine tree whose dried needles are somewhat soft (like those of the Eastern White Pine) and will thrive in the southwest USA?

It would also be nice if the tree had smooth bark. As a child, I recall the fun of climbing eastern white pines, but I don't see kids climbing the rough barked pines here in southern NM.

Physics news on Phys.org
(Thread moved to the GD forum for more views)

Hi, @Stephen Tashi, I've tried in vain to help you. Maybe if you could write in Latin the name of the Eastern White Pine?.

Greetings!

What part of the southwest are we talking? There's a huge range of biomes and climates there which will have an impact on your choices.

Back