A general 2-form - Colley Chapter 8, Section 8.1

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of differential forms and how to write a general 2-form in different notations. The confusion arises from the ordering of terms in Example 3 and the later notation in the text. It is clarified that the indexing and notation do not affect the form itself, as long as the corresponding coefficients are equal. Additionally, it is mentioned that there are only three basis vectors for 2-forms instead of six, as they are related by a negative sign when the order of wedging is reversed.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Susan Colley's book: Vector Calculus ... and am currently focussed on Section 8.1: An Introduction to Differential Forms ... ...

Colley, on page 491 in Example 3 gives a formula for a general 2-form as follows:
?temp_hash=81999305d3b63a031b8f52969f053b61.png
I am trying to understand what Colley describes as 'the somewhat curious ordering of the terms' ... ... with the terms [itex]dy \ \wedge \ dz , dz \ \wedge \ dx[/itex] and [itex]dx \ \wedge \ dy[/itex] occurring in that order ... ... ?... Now when Colley comes to defining a general differential k-form, not two pages further on from Example 3, we find (page 493):
?temp_hash=a20ac2b613eaad2ca9444669eb5946cc.png
So ... from the general k-form above, for a general 2-form we have[itex]\omega = \sum_{ 1 \le i_1 \lt i_2 \lt 2 } F_{ i_1 i_2 } dx_{i_1} \ \wedge \ dx_{i_2}[/itex][itex]\omega = F_{12} \ dx_1 \ \wedge \ dx_2 \ + \ F_{13} \ dx_1 \ \wedge \ dx_3 \ + \ F_{23} \ dx_2 \ \wedge \ dx_3[/itex]or if we write [itex]x_1[/itex] as [itex]x[/itex], [itex]x_2[/itex] as [itex]y[/itex], and [itex]x_3[/itex] as [itex]z[/itex] then we have ... ...

[itex]\omega = F_{12} \ dx \ \wedge \ dy \ + \ F_{13} \ dx \ \wedge \ dz \ + \ F_{23} \ dy \ \wedge \ dz [/itex]How do we match this general form with that stated two pages earlier in Example 3 ...Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Attachments

• Colley - Example 3 - page 491 - a general 2-form   .png
    Colley - Example 3 - page 491 - a general 2-form .png
    14.2 KB · Views: 604
  • Colley - Page 493 - Defn of a general differential k-form     .png
    Colley - Page 493 - Defn of a general differential k-form .png
    37 KB · Views: 530
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, I think I share your confusion.

Example 3: ##F_1(x,y,z)dy\wedge dz+F_2(x,y,z)dz\wedge dx+F_3(x,y,z)dx\wedge dy##
should have been written as ##F_3(x,y,z)dx\wedge dy-F_2(x,y,z)dx\wedge dz+F_1(x,y,z)dy\wedge dz##
to match the standard form with strictly increasing indexes.

EDIT: maybe later in the text they will write 2-forms as ##F_{12}dx \wedge dy+ F_{23}dy \wedge dz +F_{31}dz\wedge dx##, and that's what they are hinting at.

Last edited:
Likes Math Amateur
Two forms can be added. Addition is commutative so the order of addition does not change the form.

One can multiply forms by arbitrary functions and it doesn't matter what you call them. Indexing is just notation. You can index any way that you want.

In the coordinate system, ##(x,y,z)## on the domain ##U## dx^dy ,dx^dz and ,dy^dz form a basis for all 2 forms. The general 2 form is a linear combination of them with the coefficients being arbitrary functions. Note that at each point of ##U## one just has a linear combination of basis vectors of a vector space.

So one can write the general 2 form in the first notation as

##F_{1}(x,y,z)##dy##∧##dz + ##F_{2}(x,y,z)##dz##∧##dx + ##F_{3}(x,y,z)##dx##∧##dy or as

##F_{12}##dx##∧##dy + ##F_{13}##dx##∧##dz + ##F_{23}##dy##∧## dz in the second notation.

Both are the same provided that the corresponding ##F##'s are equal.

Note also the if one reverses the order of wedging that the form gets multiplied by -1. So dx##∧##dy = -dy##∧##dx
This relation shows that there are only three basis vectors, not 6.

Likes Math Amateur

Related to A general 2-form - Colley Chapter 8, Section 8.1

1. What is a general 2-form?

A general 2-form, also known as a 2-form field, is a mathematical object that assigns a value to every point in a two-dimensional space. It is represented by a matrix or tensor of values that describes the properties of the space at each point. This concept is commonly used in fields such as differential geometry and physics.

2. What is the significance of Colley Chapter 8, Section 8.1 in relation to 2-forms?

Colley Chapter 8, Section 8.1 is part of a larger text on differential forms, which are mathematical objects that generalize the concept of a 2-form. This specific section focuses on the properties and operations of general 2-forms, making it a valuable resource for understanding this mathematical concept.

3. How are general 2-forms used in differential geometry?

In differential geometry, general 2-forms are used to describe the curvature of a two-dimensional space. They are also used to define the exterior derivative, which is a mathematical operation that helps to study the properties of a space and its transformations.

4. What are some real-world applications of 2-forms?

2-forms have various applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. For example, in fluid dynamics, 2-forms are used to describe the flow of fluids and their properties. In electromagnetism, 2-forms are used to calculate the electric and magnetic fields in a specific area.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges in working with general 2-forms?

The main challenge in working with general 2-forms is their complexity and the higher level of mathematical knowledge required to understand them. Additionally, the calculation of 2-forms can be computationally intensive, making it difficult to work with large datasets. However, advancements in technology and software have made it easier to work with 2-forms in practical applications.