A generalization of the limit definining \$e\$.

• MHB
  • Thread starter Alone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses the generalization of the limit $\lim_{n\to \infty} (1+x/n)^n=\exp(x)$ and explores the limit of $\lim_{n_1\to \infty , n_2 \to \infty , \ldots , n_k \to \infty } (1+\prod_{i=1}^k x_i/n_i)^{\prod_{i=1}^k n_i}$ and $\lim (1+\sum_{i=1}^k x_i/n_i)^{\prod_{i=1}^k n_i}$. The conclusion is that the limit of the latter can be found by defining $m=\prod_i
Alone
I was thinking of generalizing the limit of $\lim_{n\to \infty} (1+x/n)^n=\exp(x)$. What do we know of $$\lim_{n_1\to \infty , n_2 \to \infty , \ldots , n_k \to \infty } (1+\prod_{i=1}^k x_i/n_i)^{\prod_{i=1}^k n_i}$$?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, now I think it's trivial if we define $m=\prod_i n_i$, then the limit should be: $\exp(\prod_i x_i)$, nothing new here.

- - - Updated - - -

How about instead of multiplication we have addition, i.e.:
$\lim (1+\sum_{i=1}^k x_i/n_i)^{\prod_{i=1}^k n_i}$, which seems tougher to find.
How would you go about solving this limit?

Thanks!

Related to A generalization of the limit definining \$e\$.

What is a generalization of the limit defining \$e\$?

A generalization of the limit defining \$e\$ is a mathematical concept that extends the definition of the constant \$e\$ to include a wider range of input values. It allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the behavior of \$e\$ and its applications in various fields of science and mathematics.

How is a generalization of the limit defining \$e\$ different from the traditional definition of \$e\$?

The traditional definition of \$e\$ is limited to the specific input value of 1, whereas a generalization allows for any input value, including complex numbers and matrices. This allows for a more versatile and comprehensive understanding of the properties and applications of \$e\$.

What are some applications of a generalization of the limit defining \$e\$?

A generalization of the limit defining \$e\$ has various applications in fields such as calculus, differential equations, and physics. It is also used in financial modeling, population growth studies, and other areas of science and mathematics.

What are the main properties of a generalization of the limit defining \$e\$?

Some of the main properties of a generalization of the limit defining \$e\$ include its ability to handle a wider range of input values, its relationship with other mathematical constants and functions, and its applications in various fields of science and mathematics.

How can a generalization of the limit defining \$e\$ be calculated or approximated?

There are various methods for calculating or approximating a generalization of the limit defining \$e\$. These include power series expansions, recursive formulas, and numerical methods such as the Euler method. The method used depends on the specific form of the generalization being evaluated.