A model of galactic star formation

In summary, the individual is seeking a model of galactic star formation for mature galaxies like the Milky Way. They are interested in the yearly rate of star formation and are asking for recommendations for papers that discuss this topic. The individual suggests using Google Scholar to find recent and widely cited papers, and mentions the importance of considering where the paper was published. They also mention that recent papers may not have been thoroughly tested yet. Finally, they suggest the individual provide more information about their mathematical background and level of involvement in order to receive better recommendations.
manav95
Hello, I am looking for a model of galactic star formation that I can study. Particularly, I would like one that works well for mature galaxies like the Milky Way. It also should be relatively recent as well. I am primarily interested in the yearly rate of star formation for galaxies like the Milky Way. Can you all point me towards some papers which can give me a good model of galactic star formation?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi. I am NOT familiar enough with the state-of-the-art to give you recommendations. But if no one else answers consider the following.
Your question presents several puzzles: First is why, if you are capable of studying such models, you are unable to find the relevant articles yourself. For that, I have no answer. My best guess is that you have limited mathematical background, and so want simplified (aka dumbed-down) models. If you go to Google Scholar and search on the terms "galactic star formation milky" and limit the search to 2010 or later (even 2012), you will find plenty. I recommend that you pay particular attention to WHERE the paper was published, if you want to avoid some of the "crazies". You want papers published in top-tier journals, of course. I did that search and found thousands. The more a paper is cited, in general, the larger its impact and hence the more important (ie "mainstream") it is. So, rather than simply looking for papers, you want to look for papers (or better, authors) that are widely cited. Unless you just want "a" model, like the one found here:http://iopscience.iop.org/2041-8205/710/1/L11
Second puzzle is your desire for a "recent" paper. In Science, "recent" means "weakly tested" (this is a simplification, but never-the-less...). If it is "recent", the question of how well it works will be THE question that is under discussion. It is unlikely that someone will publish a well accepted, well working model (except to use as a comparison). I apologize if you know all this, and you were just looking for the topic experts to give you their best leads. It would help them if you describe your mathematical sophistication and desired level of involvement: algebra and pencil and paper or numerical PDEs and supercomputer time measured in CPU years?

Related to A model of galactic star formation

1. What is a model of galactic star formation?

A model of galactic star formation is a theoretical representation or simulation of how stars form within a galaxy. It takes into account various physical processes and conditions such as gravity, gas dynamics, and magnetic fields, to explain the formation and evolution of stars.

2. How do scientists create a model of galactic star formation?

Scientists use a combination of observations, mathematical equations, and computer simulations to create a model of galactic star formation. They analyze data from telescopes and other instruments to understand the properties and behavior of stars and their surrounding environments. They also use theoretical models and computer simulations to test different scenarios and refine their understanding of star formation.

3. What does a model of galactic star formation tell us?

A model of galactic star formation can provide insights into the processes and conditions that lead to the formation of stars. It can help us understand the distribution and properties of stars within a galaxy, as well as the evolution of galaxies over time. It can also help us make predictions about the future of star formation in our own galaxy and others.

4. How accurate are models of galactic star formation?

Models of galactic star formation are constantly being refined and improved upon as new data and observations become available. While they may not be able to perfectly predict every aspect of star formation, they have been successful in explaining many observed phenomena and have provided valuable insights into the processes that shape our universe.

5. What are some potential applications of models of galactic star formation?

Models of galactic star formation can have a wide range of applications, from understanding the formation and evolution of our own solar system to predicting the properties of stars in other galaxies. They can also inform future astronomical observations and guide the development of new technologies for studying stars and galaxies. Additionally, these models can help us better understand the conditions necessary for habitable planets to form and potentially lead to the discovery of new worlds beyond our own.