A question in Lewis structure?

In summary: I understand the concepts better nowIn summary, Lewis structures are simplified versions of the reality. They regularly fail because they don't take into account the octet rule.
blue bloom
a question in Lewis structure?

I know that Lewis structure is so easy to discuss ..but I have this compound :
SnCl2
when I drew the Lewis structure of its , I had to make Double bond between the Cl & Sn
..but a teacher told me once that when the Cl is not the central atom it can just make a single bond ..
so that it looks so weird for me !
Is it an abnormal case -like PO4- ?
what is the real structure ?

Chemistry news on Phys.org

One free electron pair on tin, single bonds to the chlorines which have full octets.
(The octet rule doesn't apply to tin.)

alxm said:
(The octet rule doesn't apply to tin.)

More precisely, octet rule works mainly for the second period of periodic table.

--

Don't worry - there is no obvious border where it works, where it doesn't. Octet rule and Lewis structures are only a simplification of the reality, no wonder they regularly fail.

--

actually ..in MY book they are talking about the octet rule as a main rule
I mean.. it works with all the compounds except some odd of them
& I still do not know the structure of (SnCl2):shy:

blue bloom said:
actually ..in MY book they are talking about the octet rule as a main rule
I mean.. it works with all the compounds except some odd of them

Let me guess - that's your first year of chemistry?

--

Related to A question in Lewis structure?

1. What is a Lewis structure?

A Lewis structure is a diagram that represents the bonding between atoms in a molecule. It is also known as an electron dot structure or electron dot diagram.

2. How do you draw a Lewis structure?

To draw a Lewis structure, you first need to determine the number of valence electrons for each atom in the molecule. Then, arrange the atoms in a way that satisfies the octet rule, meaning each atom has 8 valence electrons. Finally, draw the bonds between atoms using lines to represent shared electrons.

3. What is the purpose of a Lewis structure?

The purpose of a Lewis structure is to show the arrangement of atoms and electrons in a molecule, which helps in understanding the chemical and physical properties of the molecule. It also helps in predicting the reactivity and stability of the molecule.

4. Can a Lewis structure have multiple valid forms?

Yes, some molecules can have multiple valid Lewis structures, also known as resonance structures. These structures have the same arrangement of atoms but differ in the placement of double bonds or lone pairs. Resonance structures are used to represent the delocalization of electrons in a molecule.

5. Are there any exceptions to the octet rule in Lewis structures?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the octet rule in Lewis structures. Some molecules, such as boron trifluoride (BF3) and sulfur hexafluoride (SF6), have less than 8 valence electrons around the central atom. Other molecules, like phosphorus pentachloride (PCl5) and sulfur hexafluoride (SF6), can have more than 8 valence electrons around the central atom.