A question on thermal stress and axial force in a structure

In summary: The structure has pinned connections and there is no mention of gravity, so it can be ignored. Chetan also needs to consider the area, length, and Young's modulus of each member to find the axial force. The correct equation for the tensile strain in a member with thermal expansion is σ=E(ε-αΔT), where E is Young's modulus, σ is the tensile stress, and ε is the tensile strain.
manutd@13
hi guys
i've really been struggling with this question but I still can't get any glimpse of idea on how to solve the problem,
so the conditions are given in the table and what the question is asking for is the axial force acting in each members of the structure.
ah, almost forgot to tell you that there is temperature rise of 40 degrees Celsius in all members.
help!
Screenshot_2015-12-10-02-17-29-1.png

Physics news on Phys.org
You will need to supply a translation of the question into English.

translation of the question:
Area, Length and etc(e.g. young's modulus) information about each of the members are as given below, if there is rise of 40 degrees celcius in every member of the structure what would be the axial force in each of the members?

manutd@13 said:
translation of the question:
Area, Length and etc(e.g. young's modulus) information about each of the members are as given below, if there is rise of 40 degrees celcius in every member of the structure what would be the axial force in each of the members?
How are the members connected to each other and to the supports? Is something holding the supports a fixed distance apart?
Is the "A2" on AC correct? Should it perhaps be A1?
There's no mention of mass or density, so I assume we ignore gravity.

What is the equation for the tensile stress in a member as a function of the tensile strain in the member if there is thermal expansion present, with a temperature rise of ΔT? Have you learned such an equation?

If point A is displaced v in the y direction and u in the x direction, what is the strain in each of the members AB and AC? Member BC is easy to do because the strain in this member is zero.

The connections are pinned connections, the strain equation is strain=a(▲t)L, and the A2 stated is correct

haruspex said:
How are the members connected to each other and to the supports? Is something holding the supports a fixed distance apart?
Is the "A2" on AC correct? Should it perhaps be A1?
There's no mention of mass or density, so I assume we ignore gravity.
The connections are pinned connections, the strain equation thermal increase/decrease is strain=a(▲t)L, and the A2 stated is correct, they are fixed distance apart, and the gravity is ignored yes

manutd@13 said:
The connections are pinned connections, the strain equation thermal increase/decrease is strain=a(▲t)L, and the A2 stated is correct, they are fixed distance apart, and the gravity is ignored yes
Your equation for the strain is not correct. Try again.

I'll give you a freebie, the answer to my first question in post #5 is:
$$σ=E(ε-αΔT)$$
where E is Young's modulus, σ is the tensile stress, and ε is the tensile strain.

Chestermiller said:
Your equation for the strain is not correct. Try again.

I'll give you a freebie, the answer to my first question in post #5 is:
$$σ=E(ε-αΔT)$$
where E is Young's modulus, σ is the tensile stress, and ε is the tensile strain.

Ah i left out the youngs modulus;; that helps alot, i'l try again,thanks

manutd@13 said:
Ah i left out the youngs modulus;; that helps alot, i'l try again
Also, the L should not be in your strain equation.

Chet

Related to A question on thermal stress and axial force in a structure

What is thermal stress and how does it affect structures?

Thermal stress refers to the stress or strain that occurs in a material due to changes in temperature. When a structure is exposed to temperature changes, it expands or contracts, leading to thermal stress. This can cause damage to the structure over time, especially if the temperature changes are frequent or extreme.

How does thermal stress impact axial force in a structure?

Thermal stress can cause changes in the axial force, also known as tension or compression, in a structure. When a structure experiences temperature changes, it expands or contracts, leading to changes in its length. This change in length can result in additional or reduced axial force, which can affect the stability and integrity of the structure.

What are the common methods for mitigating thermal stress in structures?

There are several methods for managing or reducing thermal stress in structures, including using materials with low thermal expansion coefficients, incorporating expansion joints or flexible connections, and implementing proper insulation to minimize temperature changes. Additionally, designing structures with thermal expansion in mind can also help reduce the impact of thermal stress.

How can thermal stress be measured and analyzed in structures?

There are various methods for measuring and analyzing thermal stress in structures, such as strain gauges, thermocouples, and thermal imaging. These tools can provide data on the strain and temperature changes in a structure, which can then be used to calculate the thermal stress. Advanced computer simulations and finite element analysis can also be used to analyze and predict thermal stress in structures.

What are the potential consequences of neglecting thermal stress in structural design?

Neglecting thermal stress in structural design can have serious consequences, including structural failure, reduced lifespan of the structure, and safety hazards. Thermal stress can lead to cracks, deformation, and other damage in a structure, which can compromise its structural integrity. Therefore, it is crucial to consider and properly address thermal stress in the design and maintenance of structures.