A quick question regarding three phase coils connections of a motor

In summary, the purpose of three phase coils in a motor is to create a rotating magnetic field, allowing the motor to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy. These coils can be connected in a star or delta configuration, with the option to change the connection if needed. A three phase motor is more efficient and balanced compared to a single phase motor, and the type of connection used depends on the motor's intended use and available power supply. Consulting a professional is recommended for determining the best connection for a motor.
StephenD420
Hello everyone:

I have a quick question regarding connecting a three phase power supply to the coils of a three phase motor.

Now I know that if you had 3 pole pairs, 6 coils 120 degrees apart around a stator, that each diagonally adjacient coil gets connected in series and each of these series of two coils get connected to one of the three power supply phases. The series coils are shown in the attached picture so you can see what I am talking about.

But what if I wanted 8 coils, 4 coil/pole pairs. How would I connect this to a three phase supply so that the magnetic field rotates dragging the rotor around and around as the motor is supposed to do?

Thanks for any help you guys could give me. I really appreciate it.

Stephen

Attachments

• 32NE0443.GIF
    32NE0443.GIF
    12.1 KB · Views: 480
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Stephen,

Thank you for your question. Connecting a three phase power supply to the coils of a three phase motor is a crucial step in ensuring the proper function of the motor. In order to understand how to connect 8 coils, 4 coil/pole pairs to a three phase supply, it is important to first understand the basic principle of operation of a three phase motor.

A three phase motor works by creating a rotating magnetic field within the stator (outer stationary part of the motor). This rotating magnetic field is created by the interaction of the three phases of the power supply with the coils of the motor. Each phase of the power supply is connected to two coils that are 120 degrees apart around the stator. This creates a balanced and rotating magnetic field that drags the rotor (inner rotating part of the motor) around and around, thus producing the desired motion.

In the case of 8 coils and 4 coil/pole pairs, the same principle applies. The coils would need to be arranged in a way that creates a balanced and rotating magnetic field. This can be achieved by connecting each coil to a different phase of the power supply, with two coils connected to each phase. The coils should be arranged in a way that ensures they are 90 degrees apart from each other, creating a balanced and rotating magnetic field.

I hope this helps answer your question. If you have any further inquiries, please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck with your project!

Related to A quick question regarding three phase coils connections of a motor

1. What is the purpose of three phase coils in a motor?

The three phase coils in a motor are responsible for creating a rotating magnetic field, which is essential for converting electrical energy into mechanical energy. This allows the motor to turn and perform its intended function.

2. How are the three phase coils connected in a motor?

The three phase coils are typically connected in a star or delta configuration. In a star connection, all three phase coils are connected together at one end, while the other ends are connected to the three phases of the power supply. In a delta connection, each phase coil is connected to the next in a triangular shape.

3. Can the connection of the three phase coils be changed?

Yes, the connection of the three phase coils can be changed from star to delta or vice versa. This is known as reconfiguring the motor's winding connections. However, it should only be done by a trained professional, as it can affect the motor's performance and efficiency.

4. What is the difference between a single phase and three phase motor?

A single phase motor has only one set of windings, while a three phase motor has three sets of windings. This allows a three phase motor to have a more balanced and efficient power distribution, resulting in a smoother operation and higher power output.

5. How do I know which type of connection is best for my motor?

The type of connection for a motor depends on its intended use and the power supply available. Star connections are more suitable for motors with higher starting torque, while delta connections are better for high-speed motors. It is best to consult a professional to determine the most suitable connection for your motor.