A rock from a boat - could you help me understand?

• Thread starter Glyper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boat Rock
In summary, a man on a boat throws a rock with a mass of 2kg and velocity of 18m/s, while the man and boat have a combined mass of 90kg. The velocity of the boat can be calculated using the equation v2 = (m1*v1)/m2, and this comes from the conservation of momentum. The equation implies that the total momentum of the man and boat is zero, as they start at rest. Further information on momentum conservation can be found in the article "Momentum Conservation in Explosions".
Glyper

Homework Statement

A man on a boat throws behind him a rock of mass m1=2kg with a velocity of v1=18m/s. The mass of a man with a boat is m_2=90kg. What velocty v_2 will the boat go with?

Homework Equations

v2 = (m1*v1)/m2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I was upsent on the lesson where we were speaking about this and can't figure out where does the formula I wrote above come from. Why is it certain that m2v2=m1v1? Of course I know I can just plug the numbers inside and bam, I've got my answer but I'd rather know why does it work. Could you help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well the eqaution implies that: mom boat - mom rock = 0
Why would that be?

It comes from the conservation of momentum. Since (presumably), the man and boat start out at rest, the total momentum is zero.

You might want to read this: Momentum Conservation in Explosions

Oh, I see. Thank you a lot!

I can explain the formula you have written and how it applies to this situation. The formula you have written is known as the conservation of momentum equation, which states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. In this case, the system consists of the man, the boat, and the rock.

The initial momentum of the system is given by m1v1 (mass of the rock multiplied by its velocity) and this is equal to the final momentum of the system, which is given by m2v2 (mass of the man and boat combined multiplied by their common velocity v2). This is because in this scenario, the only external force acting on the system is the throw of the rock, which does not affect the total mass of the system. Therefore, the conservation of momentum equation can be applied to solve for v2.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the formula and its application in this scenario. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Related to A rock from a boat - could you help me understand?

1. What is a rock from a boat?

A rock from a boat refers to a piece of rock or sediment that has been dislodged from a boat and found in a body of water, such as a lake or river.

2. How does a rock end up in a boat?

A rock can end up in a boat through various ways, such as being picked up by the boat's propeller or being carried by strong currents. It can also be accidentally brought on board by passengers or intentionally placed there for ballast.

3. Why is it important to understand rocks from boats?

Studying rocks from boats can provide valuable information about the history and movements of boats in a particular area. It can also help in understanding the transportation and erosion of rocks in bodies of water.

4. How can scientists identify a rock from a boat?

Scientists can identify a rock from a boat by examining its shape, texture, and composition. They may also use techniques such as X-ray diffraction or spectroscopy to analyze the minerals present in the rock and compare them to known samples.

5. Are rocks from boats harmful to the environment?

Rocks from boats can potentially cause harm to the environment if they contain pollutants or invasive species. However, in most cases, they are harmless and can even provide a source of nutrients for aquatic organisms.