A simple derivative that I'm messing up on

• Thread starter lase
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the derivative of f(x) = sin x + 2 cos^3 x is cos x - 6cos^2 x sin x. This is found using the basic derivative properties and formulas, specifically the chain rule. It is important to be careful when applying the power rule to functions with multiple terms.
lase

Homework Statement

Find f'(x) for f(x) = sin x + 2 cos^3 x

Homework Equations

Other than basic derivative properties and formulas, no.

The Attempt at a Solution

f'(x) = sin x + 2cos^3 x
= cos x - 6sin^2 x

The book says the answer is f'(x) = cos x - 6cos^2 x sin x however I don't understand where the sin x comes from... any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the chain rule?

Yeah, d/dx[f(g(x))] = f'(g(x))g'(x). My bad, now I got the correct answer of f'(x) = cos x - 6cos^2 x sin x.. I think I used the power rule on 2cos^3 x by mistake before.

Related to A simple derivative that I'm messing up on

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of one variable with respect to another. In other words, it is the slope of a curve at a specific point.

2. How do you calculate a derivative?

To calculate a derivative, you need to use the derivative formula: f'(x) = lim(h->0) (f(x+h) - f(x)) / h. This formula uses limits to determine the slope of the curve at a specific point. Alternatively, you can also use differentiation rules to calculate derivatives of common functions.

3. What are the applications of derivatives?

Derivatives have many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and more. They are used to model and analyze rates of change, optimize functions, and solve real-world problems.

4. What are some common mistakes people make when calculating derivatives?

Some common mistakes people make when calculating derivatives include not understanding the concept of limits, not applying differentiation rules correctly, and making algebraic errors. It is important to understand the fundamentals and practice consistently to avoid these mistakes.

5. How can I improve my skills in calculating derivatives?

To improve your skills in calculating derivatives, it is important to practice regularly and seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed. You can also watch online tutorials or use online resources to reinforce your understanding of the concepts and techniques involved in calculating derivatives.