Acceleration of Head When Heading a Soccer Ball

• Thread starter ang359
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, the problem involves calculating the difference in speed acquired by a bare head and a helmeted head when a soccer ball is kicked towards a player and they deflect it by "heading" it. The acceleration of the head during the collision is significant and the measured acceleration for both heads is given in Figure 2-31. At time t = 7.0 ms, the calculated speed difference is 0.26 m/s, but the answer in the back of the book is 0.56 m/s. The correct approach is to find the area under the curve for each head and subtract them, with each rectangle representing 20 units. The area under the helmeted head's curve is 260 units, resulting in the correct
ang359

Homework Statement

When a soccer ball is kicked toward a player and the player deflects the ball by “heading” it, the acceleration of the head during the collision can be significant. Figure 2-31 gives the measured acceleration a(t) of a soccer player's head for a bare head and a helmeted head, starting from rest. At time t = 7.0 ms, what is the difference in the speed acquired by the bare head and the speed acquired by the helmeted head?
*i attached the problem and graph

Homework Equations

Would you just find the area and subtract?

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to find the area of the collision with the bare head (.75m/s) and the area with the helmeted head (.26m/s) then subtracted to get .49m/s, but the answer at the back of the book says .56m/s. i haven't had calculus yet, so I'm still trying to understand integrals, any advice would be great!

Attachments

• soccer ball problem.jpg
    soccer ball problem.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 2,616
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello ang359,

Welcome to physics forums!
ang359 said:
I attempted to find the area of the collision with the bare head (.75m/s)
Try the above again. I think something went wrong.
and the area with the helmeted head (.26m/s)
That part sounds good to me.
i haven't had calculus yet, so I'm still trying to understand integrals, any advice would be great!
You're doing fine. You're on the right track. A (definite) integral is "the area under the curve." And that's what you're doing. :smile:

[Edit: misinterpreted the graph myself (by a factor of 10) in my original post. Made corrections above.]

Last edited:
ang359 said:

Homework Statement

When a soccer ball is kicked toward a player and the player deflects the ball by “heading” it, the acceleration of the head during the collision can be significant. Figure 2-31 gives the measured acceleration a(t) of a soccer player's head for a bare head and a helmeted head, starting from rest. At time t = 7.0 ms, what is the difference in the speed acquired by the bare head and the speed acquired by the helmeted head?
*i attached the problem and graph

Homework Equations

Would you just find the area and subtract?

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to find the area of the collision with the bare head (.75m/s) and the area with the helmeted head (.26m/s) then subtracted to get .49m/s, but the answer at the back of the book says .56m/s. i haven't had calculus yet, so I'm still trying to understand integrals, any advice would be great!

The only error I see is you have mis-calculated the "area ... with the bare head"

Not sure how you did it, but with shapes defined by a series of straight line segments like these I just "count the squares" - or in this case rectangles - then convert

from the scales [ignoring units] you can find that each rectangle represents 20
The area under the "helmeted head" totals 13 squares so 260 units. Now considering the scales involved - m/s^2 and milliseconds that easily yields your 0.26 m/s.

collinsmark said:
Hello ang359,

Welcome to physics forums!

Try the above again. I think something went wrong.

That part sounds good to me.

You're doing fine. You're on the right track. A (definite) integral is "the area under the curve." And that's what you're doing. :smile:

[Edit: misinterpreted the graph myself (by a factor of 10) in my original post. Made corrections above.]
Okay thanks! I'm not quite sure what i did wrong with the area of the bare head but i'll try it again. it's good to know that I'm somewhat on the right track

PeterO said:
The only error I see is you have mis-calculated the "area ... with the bare head"

Not sure how you did it, but with shapes defined by a series of straight line segments like these I just "count the squares" - or in this case rectangles - then convert

from the scales [ignoring units] you can find that each rectangle represents 20
The area under the "helmeted head" totals 13 squares so 260 units. Now considering the scales involved - m/s^2 and milliseconds that easily yields your 0.26 m/s.
yeah that makes sense, i'll try the calculations again to see if i made a silly mistake. thanks so much!

Related to Acceleration of Head When Heading a Soccer Ball

1. How does heading a soccer ball affect the brain?

Heading a soccer ball can cause microscopic tears in the brain's white matter, which can lead to cognitive impairment and memory loss. Repeated heading can also cause changes in the brain's structure and function, potentially increasing the risk of neurological disorders.

2. Is it safe for children to head a soccer ball?

There is currently no definitive answer on the safety of heading a soccer ball for children. Some studies suggest that children's brains are more vulnerable to the effects of heading due to their developing brains, while others argue that the force of a ball is less significant for children compared to adults. It is important for coaches and parents to carefully monitor and limit heading for children to minimize potential risks.

3. Can heading a soccer ball cause concussions?

Yes, heading a soccer ball can cause concussions. The impact of a ball against the head can cause the brain to move inside the skull, resulting in a concussion. However, studies suggest that the majority of concussions in soccer are caused by collisions with other players rather than heading the ball.

4. How can heading a soccer ball be made safer?

To minimize the potential risks of heading a soccer ball, proper technique is crucial. This includes using the forehead instead of the top of the head, keeping the neck muscles engaged, and using the body's momentum to redirect the ball instead of using excessive force. Protective headgear is also available, but its effectiveness in reducing the risk of concussions is still being studied.

5. Are there any long-term effects of heading a soccer ball?

Some studies have linked repeated heading of a soccer ball to long-term neurological effects, such as chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE). However, more research is needed to fully understand the potential long-term effects of heading and to develop preventive measures to reduce these risks.