Achieving Physics Degree as a "Late-Bloomer"

In summary: This is definitely not a quick process!Has anyone out there done this (or something similar) already, or is in the process?Yes, many people have done this. It's not a quick process, but it's definitely doable. It just takes a lot of patience and dedication. Any words of wisdom?Keep your eyes open and work hard. In summary, if you want to pursue a degree in physics, you need to take a sequence of math that includes Calculus. It's a long and difficult process, but it's definitely doable. Keep your eyes open and work hard.
trrads
Hi,

I am a "late-bloomer" who recently decided I want to pursue a degree in physics with the goal of eventually getting a phd in astrophysics. A little about me, I am 41 and a professional with a young family. I do not have any academic pursuits other than my own personal desires (at least at this stage) and intend to obtain this at a slow pace. My hope is to be able to satisfy at least some of my requirements at home through online courses.

Has anyone out there done this (or something similar) already, or is in the process?

Any words of wisdom?

One specific question I came across in searching online courses was algebra-based vs calculus based physics. If I intend to pursue a degree in physics, is it essential to take the calculus based? Has anyone had any experience with any online courses? Two I am looking at currently are UNC http://fridaycenter.unc.edu/cp/catalog/physics.html#phys102 and Michigan State http://www.pa.msu.edu/academics/online-courses

Thank for any advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

If your long range goal is a PhD then you must take a sequence of math that includes Calculus. You really can't do advanced physics without it. Everything is based on the principles embodied in Calculus.

trrads said:
If I intend to pursue a degree in physics, is it essential to take the calculus based?

Yes. Absolutely.

You do realize how long this will take, right? Typically, it's a decade between starting undergrad and finishing a PhD. If you take one class a term plus one in summer, you'll progress at maybe 20% of the rate of a traditional student. If you can double that up, it's still maybe 40%. Also, part time PhD positions are rare - in part because one's classwork "expires" 10-15 years after taking them. Part time, you can get to a point where you never finish.

Related to Achieving Physics Degree as a "Late-Bloomer"

1. Can I still pursue a physics degree if I didn't excel in math and science in high school?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a physics degree as a "late-bloomer" even if you didn't have a strong background in math and science in high school. Many universities offer introductory courses for students who may need to brush up on their skills before diving into more advanced courses.

2. Will being an older student put me at a disadvantage in a physics program?

No, being an older student does not automatically put you at a disadvantage in a physics program. In fact, many "late-bloomers" bring valuable life experience and a different perspective to the classroom, which can be beneficial in the study of physics.

3. Is it possible to finish a physics degree in a shorter amount of time as a "late-bloomer"?

It is possible to finish a physics degree in a shorter amount of time as a "late-bloomer" if you have prior college credits or have completed courses in high school that can count towards your degree. However, it is important to keep in mind that physics is a challenging subject and it may take longer to complete the degree if you need to take additional courses to strengthen your foundation.

4. Are there any specific challenges that "late-bloomers" may face in a physics program?

One potential challenge for "late-bloomers" in a physics program may be keeping up with the rigorous coursework and fast pace of the program. It is important to stay organized, seek help when needed, and stay motivated to succeed.

5. Will my age affect my job prospects after graduating with a physics degree as a "late-bloomer"?

No, your age should not affect your job prospects after graduating with a physics degree as a "late-bloomer". Employers are more interested in your skills and knowledge rather than your age. Your degree and the skills you have gained through your coursework and experiences will be the main factor in your job prospects.