Advanced Problem-Solving Strategies

In summary, the conversation discusses various resources and strategies for problem-solving in mathematics. These include the problem-solving strategy found in Young and Freedman's University Physics with Modern Physics, the book How to Solve It by George Polya, the book How to Solve It: Modern Heuristics by Michalewicz and Fogel, and the TRIZ Matrix. These resources provide helpful ideas and techniques for approaching and solving mathematical problems.
Ackbach
Gold Member
MHB
I intend for this post to serve as one place to get ideas (the vast majority of which are quite unoriginal with me). Naturally, no one solution method can possibly work for every problem. I would argue that such a solution method does not exist. However, the ideas that so many people have culled together over time may be of use to you, and so I present a few of them here.

Firstly, the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?28-Problem-Solving-Strategy is a great way to organize your work. It might even work well for more advanced problems. Naturally, not every step will necessarily apply to every problem. This strategy is modified a bit from the problem-solving strategy found in Young and Freedman's University Physics with Modern Physics.

Secondly, there is the famous George Polya book How to Solve It: A New Aspect of Mathematical Method. This is a classic work that every mathematician, scientist, and engineer should read.

Thirdly, I would also highly recommend Michalewicz and Fogel's How to Solve It: Modern Heuristics. This book attempts to pick up where Polya left off; it has some delightful passages.

Finally, I would recommend looking into the http://www.triz-journal.com/archives/1997/07/b/index.html. I think there are some great ideas there. Once you've read the link in the previous sentence, you might also want to check out the TRIZ Matrix, where each principle is matched up with the contradictions it might be able to solve.

<defunct URL removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes benorin
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Helpful advice ...

Related to Advanced Problem-Solving Strategies

1. What is the definition of advanced problem-solving strategies?

Advanced problem-solving strategies refer to a set of techniques and approaches used to solve complex or challenging problems. These strategies often involve critical thinking, creativity, and the integration of multiple disciplines or perspectives.

2. How can advanced problem-solving strategies be applied in different fields of study?

Advanced problem-solving strategies can be applied in various fields such as science, technology, engineering, mathematics, business, and even everyday life. These strategies involve breaking down a problem into smaller, manageable parts and utilizing different techniques to find a solution.

3. Can anyone learn advanced problem-solving strategies?

Yes, anyone can learn advanced problem-solving strategies with practice and a willingness to think outside the box. These strategies can be taught and developed through education, training, and hands-on experience.

4. How do advanced problem-solving strategies differ from traditional problem-solving methods?

Advanced problem-solving strategies often involve a more systematic and analytical approach compared to traditional methods. They also tend to be more flexible and adaptable to different types of problems.

5. What are some examples of advanced problem-solving strategies?

Some examples of advanced problem-solving strategies include root cause analysis, brainstorming, systems thinking, design thinking, and the scientific method. These strategies can be combined and tailored to fit specific problems and situations.