Advice on self studying material

In summary, the conversation discusses the struggle of self-studying math, physics, and programming due to going too fast and lacking clear basics. One solution proposed is to find a specific project to work on, which will require studying the necessary subjects in a more focused manner.
Yashbhatt
Hi. Looking for general advice on self studying math, physics, programming etc.

What happens often with me is either I go too fast and encounter for which my basics aren't clear enough and going back and forth between chapters/modules boggs me down. So, I erase my overall progress and just start with the basic chapters again but a lot of it starts to get repetitive and I lose interest. So, in a way I know the basics of many subjects but fail to gain expertise in any of them. Any advise on how to avoid the back and forth and learn in a coherent manner?

Physics news on Phys.org
One thought is to find a very specific project that you are determined to accomplish. Then study whatever is necessary to accomplish it. A project like "Write a computer program to enhance the photos of my grandparents" is less nebuluous than that an ambition like "Master multivariable calculus".

Likes hutchphd and Yashbhatt