Advices on careers with physics degree to civil engineering or other industries

In summary: Job-seekers looking to pursue careers in civil engineering should consider pursuing a graduate degree in engineering technology. With a graduate degree in engineering technology, you will have the theoretical and practical knowledge necessary to pursue a career in civil engineering. Additionally, a graduate degree in engineering technology will equip you with the skills necessary to pursue a career in other industries.
buddyandfish
Currently needing career advices in this job-searching transition phase.

I have recently completed physics degree in Canada, and am seeking three career planning possibilities in order of preference:

(i) Apply physics degree to civil engineering preferably without more schooling
Need guidance with what employers to look into? (e.g., construction manufactures in R&D)
If with more schooling (e.g., physics --> graduate degree in civil engineering, physics --> engineering technology), what are some experiences for sharing?

(ii) Apply physics degree to other industries (e.g., nuclear)
What are some companies to look into?

(iii) Apply to jobs without physics degree requirement

All advices are greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
Just an FYI, usually for engineering jobs you'll need licensure as a professional engineer for liability reasons.

fss said:
Just an FYI, usually for engineering jobs you'll need licensure as a professional engineer for liability reasons.

Need guidance with what employers to look into? (e.g., construction manufactures in R&D)
If with more schooling (e.g., physics --> graduate degree in civil engineering, physics --> engineering technology), what are some experiences for sharing?

One option would be after physics degree, do more schooling in civil engineering. PEng usually requires another four years of undergraduate education in engineering though.

Still looking for a job, or training leading to this job, with a physics degree.

Anyone?

If I had the proverbial dollar for every time I have heard (pick one):
"Oh physics! That's the course that almost kept me from becoming an engineer!" or
"We would love to hire you, but we don't do any physics here."

Engineering is like teaching. They have their own certification programs independent of the educational function. If you want to play in their field, you need to become certified. Its a hoop you simply have to do.

The fact that with a physics background that you can explain why you do what many engineers were simply provided the "how" to do is a fascinating topic to discuss over a beer, but for the jobs, you need the PE certification.

buddyandfish said:

I think an undergrad physics degree has little to no value anywhere in the civil engineering field. Maybe a few jobs in environmental engineering or something like that? I can’t imagine they’ll be good jobs – you’ll essentially be labor.

I worked in an engineering firm that did some scientific research. My experience in physics gave me a little headway on the research side, but when it came to engineering I was less valuable than an engineering intern as far as they were concerned. I wasn’t going to be a PE, so it just didn’t matter.

(ii) Apply physics degree to other industries (e.g., nuclear)
What are some companies to look into?

(iii) Apply to jobs without physics degree requirement

To be frank, a physics undergrad degree has no value without being coupled with other useful skills. Of course all degrees are like that, but most provide a skill or two in the course of their studies. I know you think physics did (“problem solving” or something like that), but employers largely don’t, so you need to be prepared to deal with that perception.

So what can you do? Programming is a big one; if you can program you have some choices (or did before 2007, don't know what it's like now). Experience writing technical documents has outlets in government and some private companies (IP related, maybe). Excel and some financial background can get you a leg up here and there. Laboratory experience can be applied in a number of private situations.

Tell us what you can do and maybe people can suggest more options. If all you did was pass courses where you integrated to find potentials at some point around a charge, then I won't have much advice for you.

Related to Advices on careers with physics degree to civil engineering or other industries

What can I do with a physics degree in the field of civil engineering?

A physics degree can be useful in the field of civil engineering as it provides a strong foundation in mathematical and analytical skills. Some potential careers in civil engineering for physics graduates include structural engineer, geotechnical engineer, and environmental engineer.

What skills from a physics degree are transferable to other industries?

A physics degree equips you with a range of transferable skills, such as problem-solving, critical thinking, data analysis, and technical writing. These skills can be applied in various industries, including finance, healthcare, and technology.

Is it necessary to have a degree in civil engineering to work in the industry?

No, it is not necessary to have a degree in civil engineering to work in the industry. Many civil engineering jobs value a strong background in mathematics and physics, and some companies may offer on-the-job training or require additional certifications.

What other industries can I pursue a career in with a physics degree?

Aside from civil engineering, a physics degree can open doors to various industries such as aerospace, defense, energy, and research. Graduates with a physics degree can also work in academia, government agencies, and consulting firms.

How can I prepare for a career in civil engineering with a physics degree?

To prepare for a career in civil engineering with a physics degree, consider taking relevant courses in areas such as mechanics, materials science, and fluid dynamics. Additionally, gaining practical experience through internships or research projects can also be beneficial. It is also important to network with professionals in the field and stay up-to-date with industry developments.