Is Aether Real, and Why Does Newtonian Dynamics Fail at Light Speed?

Up In The Night
How did you find PF?
I was searching for the answer to why does Newtonian physics break down at the speed of light. That led to a reference to Wikipedia about relativity. Basically it appears that that discussion is centered on the apparent lack of mass at speeds approaching the speed of light. What if Michelson and Morley’s interferometer experiment failed because of an incorrect hypothesis? They were attempting to prove the movement of the earth through a solid aether that was centered at some point other than the earth’s center. What if the aether has states — like more palpable matter - solid, liquid, gas?
In that case the result of their experiment would be meaningless. In that case aether could exist which would make e = mc squared make much more sense!
Thread:

Why does Newtonian dynamics break down at the speed of light​

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy and PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
Woo-wee. Um, welcome to PF.

So many questions! So little reading in real scientific references! :wink:

Welcome to PF. We are happy to help you with your questions -- we are all about helping folks learn about mainstream science here. Please find some reputable sources that you have been reading and start a new thread in the Physics section with links to those sources and your questions about that reading. That's the best way for us to help you here.

In some of the technical forums the thread title will include a prefix that you can set to B/I/A for Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced for the level that you would like the replies to be. I is undergraduate university level, and A is graduate school level and above. My first impression is that you should start with a "B" prefix on your threads, to help get the best replies that will get you started on your journey to learning about real science. :smile:

Thanks.

Up In The Night said:
why does Newtonian physics break down at the speed of light.
It breaks down a lot sooner than that. It breaks down at human scales.

Time dilation due to velocity (i.e special relativity) is detectable using sensitive clocks in airborne labs in commercial jetliners which don't exceed 700mph.

In other words, time starts doing funny things at speeds as low as 700 miles per hour that Newton has no explanation for.

Read up on the Hafele-Keating experiment, 1971.

Welcome to PF! Note that this section of the forum is for member introductions, not physics questions. If you have a question about physics, please make a new thread in the appropriate forum. Please be aware that discussion of aether theory is only allowed if the discussion is about historical aether theories (such as those listed here). Discussion about a hypothetical aether theory that doesn't exist are not allowed, as they do not fall within the scope of mainstream science or historical theories that led to the development of modern mainstream science.

Thread locked.

Likes topsquark and berkeman
Drakkith said:
Thread locked.

Really ?? . o_O

OCR said:
Really ?? . o_O
It should be now. :wink:

• Haha
Likes OCR
OCR said:
Really ?? . o_O