Affinity Law and Efficiency of a Pump Curve

In summary, we can find the point where the pump is delivering 1,200 gpm at 45 ft of head by using the pump curve provided. The efficiency at this point appears to be around 72.5%. The hp delivered to the water is 65.26 hp and the shaft hp required to drive the pump is 26.2 hp.
Adam Bourque

Homework Statement

(Pump Curve given as attachment) [/B]
Find the point where the pump is delivering 1,200 gpm at 45 ft of head.
I.
What is the pump efficiency (read from the pump curve data)?
ii. What is the hp delivered to the water?
iii. What is the shaft hp required to drive the pump?

Homework Equations

ii.[/B] HP = CFM * Inches of Water Column/6356 * Efficiency

The Attempt at a Solution

I.[/B] I believe the efficiency is at 72.5% looking at the graph.
ii. 1200 * 30/6356 * .72 = 36,000/457,632 7.866 hp (I used 30 inches of water from the graph is that correct?)
iii. plot pump hp is 19hp, shaft hp=19/0.725=26.2 hp

Attachments

• pump.png
    pump.png
    54.2 KB · Views: 436
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,
Thank you for your post. To find the point where the pump is delivering 1,200 gpm at 45 ft of head, we can use the pump curve provided. The point where the pump delivers 1,200 gpm at 45 ft of head can be found by drawing a horizontal line at 45 ft of head and a vertical line at 1,200 gpm. The point where these lines intersect on the pump curve is the desired point. In this case, it appears to be at around 72.5% efficiency.

I. To find the pump efficiency, we can read the efficiency value from the graph at the desired point. As mentioned, it appears to be around 72.5%.

II. To find the hp delivered to the water, we can use the formula provided: HP = CFM * Inches of Water Column/6356 * Efficiency. In this case, we can use the values of 1,200 gpm and 45 ft of head. Converting 45 ft of head to inches gives us 540 inches. Plugging these values into the formula gives us: 1200 * 540/6356 * 0.725 = 65.26 hp delivered to the water.

III. To find the shaft hp required to drive the pump, we can use the formula: Shaft HP = Pump HP/Efficiency. From the pump curve, we can see that the pump hp at the desired point is around 19 hp. Plugging this value into the formula gives us: 19/0.725 = 26.2 hp required to drive the pump.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Affinity Law and Efficiency of a Pump Curve

What is the Affinity Law and how does it relate to pump efficiency?

The Affinity Law states that the flow rate of a pump is directly proportional to the speed of the pump, and the head (pressure) is directly proportional to the square of the speed. In other words, if the speed of a pump is doubled, the flow rate will also double, and the head will increase by a factor of four. This law is important in understanding the relationship between pump speed and efficiency.

How can I use the Affinity Law to estimate the performance of a pump at different speeds?

By knowing the flow rate and head at a specific pump speed, you can use the Affinity Law to estimate the flow rate and head at a different speed. For example, if you know that a pump produces 100 gallons per minute at 1000 RPM, you can estimate that it will produce 200 gallons per minute at 2000 RPM.

What factors can affect the efficiency of a pump curve?

The efficiency of a pump curve can be affected by factors such as the speed of the pump, the size and design of the impeller, the fluid being pumped, and the condition of the pump components. Additionally, external factors such as changes in temperature or altitude can also impact pump efficiency.

How can I improve the efficiency of a pump?

To improve the efficiency of a pump, you can adjust the speed of the pump to match the desired flow rate and head, select a pump with a more efficient design or impeller, and ensure that the pump is properly maintained and in good condition. Additionally, reducing friction losses in the pump system can also improve efficiency.

What is the best way to interpret a pump curve?

A pump curve typically shows the relationship between flow rate, head, and efficiency at different pump speeds. The best way to interpret a pump curve is to select the desired flow rate and head, and then determine the corresponding speed and efficiency. This can help you select the most efficient pump for your specific application.