Agree or Disagree? Analyzing Wave Amplitudes

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about two statements that seem to conflict regarding the value of A in a standing wave. The first statement refers to A as the initial amplitude before constructive interference, while the second statement refers to A as the resultant amplitude of the standing wave. The understanding is that A is actually 2A, as mentioned in the first sentence of the extract.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this,
1682629098130.png

The two statements highlighted do not seem to agree. I think the first statement highlighted is referring to A as initial amplitude (which we can denote ##A_i##) of the traveling waves before there constructive interference to form antinodes with an amplitude 2A and nodes of an amplitude 0. Where I think the second highlighted statement is referring to when A is the resultant amplitude of standing wave which we can denote ##A_f = 2A_i##.

Is my understanding please correct?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
ChiralSuperfields said:
The two statements highlighted do not seem to agree. I think the first statement highlighted is referring to A as initial amplitude (which we can denote ##A_i##) of the traveling waves before there constructive interference to form antinodes with an amplitude 2A and nodes of an amplitude 0. Where I think the second highlighted statement is referring to when A is the resultant amplitude of standing wave which we can denote ##A_f = 2A_i##.

Is my understanding please correct?

Many thanks!
I believe you are right. There is also the very first sentence of that extract, which also says ##\pm A##. I assume A is defined in some preceding text, so both the A references should be 2A.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
haruspex said:
I believe you are right. There is also the very first sentence of that extract, which also says ##\pm A##. I assume A is defined in some preceding text, so both the A references should be 2A.
Great, thank you for your help @haruspex!

Likes berkeman