Algebra of the generator of supersymmetry transformations?

In summary, the anticommutator of two theta is zero: \left\{ \theta_{\alpha}, \theta_{\beta} \right\}=0.
alialice
We consider a superfield [itex]\Phi[/itex][itex]\left(x^{\mu}, \theta_{\alpha}\right)[/itex].
For a small variation [itex]\delta \Phi [/itex] = [itex] \bar{\epsilon} Q \Phi [/itex]
where the supercharge [itex]Q_{\alpha}[/itex] is given by:
[itex]Q_{\alpha}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial \bar{\theta}^{\alpha}}[/itex]-[itex]\left(\gamma^{\mu} \theta \right) _{\alpha} \partial _{\mu}[/itex]
They satisfy the algebra:
[itex]\left\{ Q_{\alpha}, Q_{\beta} \right\}[/itex] = -2[itex]\left( \gamma^{\mu} C \right)_{\alpha \beta} \partial_{\mu} [/itex]
where C is the charge coniugation matrix.
How can I demonstrate this? The exercise is to calculate explicitely the anticommutator.
Can you help me please?
Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the rules for taking the derivatives of Grassmann variables?

I think all you need is that the anticommutator of θ and its respective derivative is 1.

I'm not sure of knowing it exactly... can you control my assumptions please?
The anticommutator of two theta is zero: [itex]\left\{ \theta_{\alpha}, \theta_{\beta} \right\}=0[/itex]
The anticommutator of the derivatives is also zero:
[itex]\left\{ \frac{\partial}{\partial \bar{\theta}^{\alpha}}, \frac{\partial}{\partial \bar{\theta}^{\beta} }\right\}=0[/itex]
You say that the anticommutator
[itex]\left\{ \theta_{\alpha}, \frac{\partial}{\partial \bar{\theta}^{\beta} }\right\}[/itex]
is equal to 1?
And what is the result of an anticommutator like
[itex]\left\{ \left( \gamma^{\mu} \theta \right)_{\alpha} \partial_{\mu} , \frac{\partial}{\partial \bar{\theta}^{\beta} }\right\}[/itex] = ?
[itex]\partial_{\mu}[/itex] commute or anticommute with a theta?
Thank you

alialice said:
I'm not sure of knowing it exactly... can you control my assumptions please?
The anticommutator of two theta is zero: [itex]\left\{ \theta_{\alpha}, \theta_{\beta} \right\}=0[/itex]
The anticommutator of the derivatives is also zero:
[itex]\left\{ \frac{\partial}{\partial \bar{\theta}^{\alpha}}, \frac{\partial}{\partial \bar{\theta}^{\beta} }\right\}=0[/itex]
You say that the anticommutator
[itex]\left\{ \theta_{\alpha}, \frac{\partial}{\partial \bar{\theta}^{\beta} }\right\}[/itex]
is equal to 1?
No, because there you differentiate wrt theta-bar. Not wrt theta.

[itex]\partial_{\mu}[/itex] commute or anticommute with a theta?
Thank you
They commutate; [itex]\partial_{\mu}[/itex] is a derivative wrt a bosonic coordinate.

Thank you!
So [itex]\left\{ \bar{\theta}_{\alpha}, \frac{\partial}{\partial \bar{\theta}^{\beta}} \right\}=1[/itex]? Why?

The same anticommutator relation also holds for the unbarred thetas.

As to why that relation holds, I don't know if I can give an intuitive reason. In general the property is just axiomized to get desired properties. Any good introduction SUSY text will probably give a good motivation.

See e.g. eq.(11.47) of the book "Supersymmetry demystified", which is a very nice first exposure to SUSY:

[tex]
\{ \partial_a, \theta^b \}f = \partial_a (\theta^b f) + \theta^b \partial_a f = \partial_a \theta^b f - \theta^b \partial_a f + \theta^b \partial_a f = \delta_a^b f
[/tex]
where the minus-sign comes from the fact that you work with Grassmannian variables.

Thank you for the help!

Which is the relation between theta and bar theta?
Or better, what is the result of
[itex]\left\{ \theta_{\beta}, \frac{\partial}{\partial \bar{\theta}^{\alpha} }\right\}[/itex] ?

Apply to a test function and use the grassman properties.

Yes I managed, thanks, but I did't apply the anticommutator to a test function, I wrote theta as a bar theta(it appears a conjugation matrix in 4 dim or a gamma matrix in 2 dim)!

Related to Algebra of the generator of supersymmetry transformations?

1. What is the algebra of the generator of supersymmetry transformations?

The algebra of the generator of supersymmetry transformations is a mathematical framework used in theoretical physics to describe symmetries between particles and fields. It involves a set of mathematical operations, known as generators, that transform one particle or field into another while preserving certain properties, such as mass or spin.

2. How is the algebra of the generator of supersymmetry transformations related to supersymmetry?

The algebra of the generator of supersymmetry transformations is a key component of supersymmetry, a theoretical framework that describes a relationship between fermions (particles with half-integer spin) and bosons (particles with integer spin). The generators in the algebra correspond to different particles or fields, and their transformations represent the exchange of these particles or fields.

3. What are some applications of the algebra of the generator of supersymmetry transformations?

The algebra of the generator of supersymmetry transformations has many applications in theoretical physics, particularly in the field of particle physics. It is used to study the properties and interactions of fundamental particles, and has implications for the search for new particles beyond those described by the Standard Model of particle physics.

4. How is the algebra of the generator of supersymmetry transformations represented mathematically?

The algebra of the generator of supersymmetry transformations is represented using a set of mathematical equations, known as the supersymmetry algebra. This algebra includes commutation and anticommutation relations between the generators, which describe how they transform under different operations.

5. What are some current developments and challenges in the study of the algebra of the generator of supersymmetry transformations?

The algebra of the generator of supersymmetry transformations is an area of active research in theoretical physics, with many ongoing developments and challenges. Some current areas of interest include understanding the role of supersymmetry in theories like string theory and exploring possible experimental signatures of supersymmetric particles. One challenge is that supersymmetry has yet to be observed experimentally, and researchers are working to find ways to test and potentially confirm its predictions.