Algebra: show that x > 1 is prime

In summary, the statement presents a problem of showing that x is prime if there is no divisor t, where 1 < t ≤ √x, and that there is no divisor t if x is prime. The conversation suggests starting with the opposite scenario of x not being prime and all its factors being greater than √x. This can be demonstrated with examples such as 103 and 105, which have factors greater than 10.
Vince00

Homework Statement

2.4 Show that x > 1 is prime, iff x doesn't have any divisor t; where 1 < t [tex]\leq \sqrt{x}[/tex]. It is given that x,t [tex]\in[/tex] N.

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

The "iff" thing makes me think; what can I do to show this?
I have to show that x (x can be 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ...) is prime if there is no "t", 1<t[tex]\leq \sqrt{x}[/tex] (t can be 1, 2, 3, 4, ...) that divides x. AND that that there is no t that divides x if x is prime.
So I have to show it 2 ways.
First: x is prime if t doesn't divide x
Second: t doesn't divide x if x is prime

And well, that's all I got! Please help.
Vince, fresmen physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Vince! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and a ≤ :wink:)

Try starting with the opposite

suppose x is not prime, and all its factors (two or more) are > √x. :wink:

Thanks for the welcome tim!
Okay, so you said: suppose x is not prime, and all its factors are > √x

I really have no idea what I can do with that...I tried, for a few days, but I just don't get it!
Maybe you can explain it a bit more?
Tnx!

Hi Vince00! :smile:

Take 103 and 105 …

how many factors can they have > 10 ? :wink:

Related to Algebra: show that x > 1 is prime

1. What is the definition of a prime number?

A prime number is a positive integer that is only divisible by 1 and itself. In other words, it has no other factors besides 1 and itself.

2. How can we prove that x > 1 is prime?

We can prove that x > 1 is prime by showing that it has only two factors: 1 and itself. This can be done by testing all possible factors of x > 1, and if only 1 and x > 1 itself are found to be factors, then it is a prime number.

3. What is the significance of proving x > 1 is prime?

Proving that x > 1 is prime is important because it helps us understand the properties and patterns of prime numbers. It also has practical applications in cryptography and number theory.

4. Can x > 1 be both prime and composite?

No, a number cannot be both prime and composite. A prime number, by definition, has only two factors while a composite number has more than two factors. Therefore, x > 1 can only be either prime or composite.

5. How does proving x > 1 is prime contribute to our understanding of algebra?

Proving x > 1 is prime helps us understand the concept of prime numbers, which is an important part of algebra. It also allows us to apply algebraic techniques to solve problems related to prime numbers.