Algebraic Expansion with complex numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses a difficulty with the decomposition of partial fractions involving complex roots and the use of trigonometric identities to simplify the solution. The conversation also considers the use of residues to find the inverse Laplace Transform.
h_ngm_n
Hi all,

I am a bit rusty and have hit a snag with decomposition of partial fractions, I am taking an Engineering course dealing with Laplace transforms. The example is:

F(s)= 3 / s(s2+2s+5)

Now I get that there are complex roots in the denominator and that there are conjugate complex roots (s+1±2i) giving:

F(s)= 3 / s(s+1-2i)(s+1-2i)

So partial fraction decomposition would give:

F(s) = K1/s + K2/(s+1+2i) + K3/(s+1-2i)

Ok, so solving for K1= 3/5 is easy and I get that, but when it comes to K2 which involves substituting (-1-2i) in for 's' and then expanding, I can't seem to get the answer. What I did was:

K2=3[STRIKE](s+1+2i)[/STRIKE]/s(s+1-2i)[STRIKE](s+1+2i)[/STRIKE]
K2=3/s(s+1-2i)
K2=3/(-1-2i)[(-1-2i)+1-2i)]

It is the algebraic expansion on the denominator that is getting me. When I do it I get:

(-1-2i)[(-1-2i)+1-2i)]
= (-1-2i)(0-4i)
=-1(-4i)-2i(-4i)
=4i+8i2
=8+4i
=4(2+i)

However my textbook gets -3/20 (2+i) for the final partial fraction... I'm lost any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
4i+8i2 = 4i-8 = [-8+4i, edit]

Last edited:
Ah yes, simple error... my bad. But it still doesn't match the answer in my text :(

h_ngm_n said:
Ah yes, simple error... my bad. But it still doesn't match the answer in my text :(
That's because you haven't simplified K2 completely. With lewando's correction the denominator simplifies to -8+4i, so K2 is:
[itex]K_2 = \frac{3}{-8 + 4i}[/itex]
Multiply the top and bottom by the conjugate of the denominator, and eventually, you will get:
[itex]K_2 = -\frac{3}{20}\left( 2 + i \right)[/itex]

Ok, thank you for your time, I needed to simplify my fraction to get the complex term out of the denominator didn't I?

h_ngm_n said:
Ok, thank you for your time, I needed to simplify my fraction to get the complex term out of the denominator didn't I?

Yes, the fraction wouldn't be considered simplified otherwise.

It seems simpler to me to directly find the residues and then sum them to obtain the inverse Laplace, given that all poles here are simple. I do not know if you have any knowledge of the inverse formula, but it is certainly easier to apply here.

Hi Millennial,

So say that the residues are (took me a while to get this :rolleyes::)

K1=-0.4615
K2=0.2308-j2.0110
K3=0.2308+j2.0110

I can make this

g(t)= -0.4615e(-1.4t)+[(0.2308-j2.0110) e(-(1-j0.7)t)+(0.2308+j2.0110) e(-(1+j0.7)t) ] just by 'inspecting' the residues ? As opposed to breaking the partial fractions down and then doing inverse Laplace transform?

And I am little confused with the method to express it as trig identities:

The formulae: cosθ=(e+e-jθ)/2

and: sinθ=(e-e-jθ)/2j

I get a bit stuck using this to convert from exponential form to trig form...

Of course, you can avoid all the complex number stuff by using the partial fraction expansion$$
\frac 3 {s(s^2+2s+5)}= \frac A s + \frac{Bs+C}{s^2+2s+5}$$and writing ##s^2+2s+5=(s+1)^2+4## when taking the inverse Laplace Transform.

Related to Algebraic Expansion with complex numbers

1. What is algebraic expansion with complex numbers?

Algebraic expansion with complex numbers is a mathematical process of simplifying and solving equations involving complex numbers, which are numbers that contain both a real and imaginary component.

2. How do you perform algebraic expansion with complex numbers?

To perform algebraic expansion with complex numbers, first distribute any coefficients or constants to each term in the equation. Then, use the FOIL method to multiply the first terms, outer terms, inner terms, and last terms. Finally, simplify the resulting equation by combining like terms and any real or imaginary components.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when doing algebraic expansion with complex numbers?

Some common mistakes to avoid when doing algebraic expansion with complex numbers include forgetting to distribute coefficients, incorrectly applying the FOIL method, and not properly simplifying the resulting equation. It is important to pay attention to the signs of each term and keep track of real and imaginary components separately.

4. Can algebraic expansion with complex numbers be applied to all equations?

Yes, algebraic expansion with complex numbers can be applied to all equations, including linear, quadratic, and higher order equations. It is especially useful when solving equations involving complex roots or imaginary numbers.

5. What are some real-life applications of algebraic expansion with complex numbers?

Algebraic expansion with complex numbers has many real-life applications, such as in electrical engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It is also used in solving problems involving alternating currents, resonance circuits, and complex waveforms.